Coding procedure for CCM Window Modification

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
How to get VDS-PRO to run in XP

You can run the VDC_E.EXE from a CMD prompt in XP.

To do this you will need to search the web and download a package called porttalk that has tools to allow 16bit & 32bit DOS apps to access the com ports in the DOS virtual machine (the CMD prompt). (update: Here is one link with it http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm)

The magic is all in the allowio.exe utility that comes with porttalk. More about that later below.

There is a porttalk.sys file that needs to be copied to your windows\system32\drivers directory.

Now you can edit your path or simply copy the allowio.exe utility to the same directory the VDS-PRO VDC_E.EXE file is.

Start a command prompt in XP (Start->Run then type cmd).

Now you should be at a DOS prompt.

Change directory to where VDS files are.

At the command prompt type allowio vdc_e /a
This tells XP to allow access to all IO ports for VDS-PRO

Of course if you are like me at this point, your laptop doesn't have a serial port and VDS-PRO will come up and say it can't find a UART at COM1 and then exit. This was your one shot, you can't run VDS-PRO again, you'll have to kill that command prompt and start another one to try to run it again.

I have a USB to serial convertor but it always wants to show up as COM4. Appears my laptop has COM1 occupied by something (mouse pad probably) so I can't figure how to move things to make COM1 free or make VDS-PRO use COM4.

If you type vdc_e /h you will see you can give VDS-PRO command line options but I don't know if there is an option to tell it to use COM4.

So your mileage may vary but you can run the program in XP this way.
It would be best though to run this without windows so that VDS-PRO has exclusive access to the COM port and the protocol timing can't get messed with by windows. This used to be a big problem back in Win95 & 98 days but 2000/XP are better and the machines are way faster so it might work fine.

Don't get mad at me if you brick your CCM. Use at your own risk.

Last edited:

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Well, you COULD do that, but you lose "cool points" you could otherwise gain from using a way-cool computer like my Compaq Contoura 400CX....

complete with 10" color LCD screen....

and a direct cigar lighter plug.

Seriously, thank you very much for posting about porttalk. It seems it could be useful for all kinds of old programs.

moondawg

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
hutchman said:
You can run the VDC_E.EXE from a CMD prompt in XP.

To do this you will need to search the web and download a package called porttalk that has tools to allow 16bit & 32bit DOS apps to access the com ports in the DOS virtual machine (the CMD prompt). (update: Here is one link with it http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm)

The magic is all in the allowio.exe utility that comes with porttalk. More about that later below.

There is a porttalk.sys file that needs to be copied to your windows\system32\drivers directory.

Now you can edit your path or simply copy the allowio.exe utility to the same directory the VDS-PRO VDC_E.EXE file is.

Start a command prompt in XP (Start->Run then type cmd).

Now you should be at a DOS prompt.

Change directory to where VDS files are.

At the command prompt type allowio vdc_e /a
This tells XP to allow access to all IO ports for VDS-PRO

Of course if you are like me at this point, your laptop doesn't have a serial port and VDS-PRO will come up and say it can't find a UART at COM1 and then exit. This was your one shot, you can't run VDS-PRO again, you'll have to kill that command prompt and start another one to try to run it again.

I have a USB to serial convertor but it always wants to show up as COM4. Appears my laptop has COM1 occupied by something (mouse pad probably) so I can't figure how to move things to make COM1 free or make VDS-PRO use COM4.

If you type vdc_e /h you will see you can give VDS-PRO command line options but I don't know if there is an option to tell it to use COM4.

So your mileage may vary but you can run the program in XP this way.
It would be best though to run this without windows so that VDS-PRO has exclusive access to the COM port and the protocol timing can't get messed with by windows. This used to be a big problem back in Win95 & 98 days but 2000/XP are better and the machines are way faster so it might work fine.

Don't get mad at me if you brick your CCM. Use at your own risk.
Ok just 2 more silly questions:eek: , when you download the porttalk zip and open the list inside, its the allowio one that you copy to the driver directory? the others arent important in the zip? Also when in the cmd mode what do you tyoe to run VDC, tahnks in advance :)

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Spanner in the works.

OK. I just tried this, using the addresses that ele28 posted. (FYI, I also used the HEX-COM cable and was able to communicate just fine.)

I thought everything was going well, UNTIL I tried to lock and rollup the windows. Now, my REAR windows are both reversed from normal operations.

When the front windows are going up, the rear are going down, and vice versa. I have to admit, although I'm frustrated with it not working, it is QUITE entertaining!

The buttons on the doors now use this reversed behavior as well. If I press the window buttons, the windows go up when they should go down.

So, any ideas from anyone?

moondawg

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
mickyTDI said:
Ok just 2 more silly questions:eek: , when you download the porttalk zip and open the list inside, its the allowio one that you copy to the driver directory? the others arent important in the zip? Also when in the cmd mode what do you tyoe to run VDC, tahnks in advance :)
porttalk.sys is what you copy to the windows\system32\drivers directory. When you run allowio it will automatically load the driver but it looks for it in the system32\drivers directory.

allowio you copy to where the program you want to run (VDS-PRO in this case) is. You can also modify your environment variables and edit your path to find allowio but I was just keeping it simple.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
moondawg said:
HOLD THE PRESSES.

Something is wrong here. ele28's first post lists an address of 16280, and the second one uses 16820.

I used 16820, but I bet I was supposed to use 16280!!!

Can someone read their address 16820 and tell me what's there?
(mumbles and bows head sheepishly for not recording what was there first!)

I will PM Greg, but if someone knows how to get ahold of him faster, or if a MOD could, edit his post so that the address is correct? I'd hate for someone else to do this too.

moondawg
Moondawg, the second post IS correct. Compu_85 found out the same thing. The original post on Passat World is WRONG. They (Greg and Jason) actually compared a German PDF file and the second post is corrected.

If you notice, it shows me editing Greg's SECOND post. I went in and fixed the transposed numbers. 16820 is the correct memory address.

Greg also went back and changed his post to fix the numbers:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=1442220&postcount=5

Lito

Last edited:

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Well, good.. at least I'm not crazy. Thanks for the update, Lito! Can you/he fix the first post then? The two posts disagree and the possiblity still exists that someone would look at the wrong one. (although they should still read ALL the posts)

I still can't figure out why my rear windows are "backward"

I did verify that all of the addresses were written correctly.

I may try going back and putting everything "the way it was" to see if that fixes the problem. I would appreciate any other insight from anyone.

I'm guessing I can go back and fix this "electricallly" if all else fails! (I love DC motors.)

moondawg

Last edited:

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
im trying to work on it now. Interestingly though if you use VDC in normal windows it does try to get in, i went into my radio and it flashed diag a few times while trying to get in.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
Just did a few more experiments using the info I posted about the porttalk package in an earlier post.

I used another laptop that I could move the com ports around on. I used my Belkin F5u109 USB to Serial convertor and made it COM1. I ran the VDS program and it still came up and said it couldn't find a UART on COM1.

This laptop has a real COM1 so I enabled it and tried running the allowio thing again and got the same result!

I used to use this package a long time ago ... just don't remember the magic to get it to work right. I'll see if I can't figure it out.

In the mean time, if you burn the .iso image that was posted and then boot from the CD it works. I just don't have a serial cable, only a USB HEX+CAN and getting USB serial to work in DOS is another issue ....

Sorry for the false hope ... thought it would work. Just wanted to share that I did it on another laptop with a known good working COM1 and it didn't recognize the COM port running it from a cmd prompt the allowio way.

Last edited:

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
This is one interesting thread. I got vds to work today ! Using the config file from compu_85 and booting my laptop to MSDOS 6.22

I have module 1J0 959 799 AH, UK spec Golf. Please Greg or any other member confirm the values I need to change

I assume I need to change

1J0 959 799 AH (any index) and 1J0 959 799 S 03B
Code:

Memory Address / old value / new value
04283 / 8 / 2
04289 / 8 / 2
08628 / 242 / 246 driver side front window
12724 / 250 / 254 passenger side front window
16820 / 250 / 254 driver side rear window
20916 / 242 / 246 passenger side rear window

Many thanks
Ray

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
aRd said:
This is one interesting thread. I got vds to work today ! Using the config file from compu_85 and booting my laptop to MSDOS 6.22

I have module 1J0 959 799 AH, UK spec Golf. Please Greg or any other member confirm the values I need to change

I assume I need to change

1J0 959 799 AH (any index) and 1J0 959 799 S 03B
Code:

Memory Address / old value / new value
04283 / 8 / 2
04289 / 8 / 2
08628 / 242 / 246 driver side front window
12724 / 250 / 254 passenger side front window
16820 / 250 / 254 driver side rear window
20916 / 242 / 246 passenger side rear window

Many thanks
Ray
Those are the numbers being posted throughout this thead. They are correct. Just make sure you punch them in correctly!

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it to work this time!

OK, yet another update. It is a 16 vs 32 bit emulation thing ... don't ask.

All of the instructions from my first post were valid except instead of launching a DOS prompt with "cmd", do it with "command".

Example: Instead of Start->run and then entering cmd, enter command. That will bring up a real old 16 bit DOS virtual machine.

Word of caution, this instance of DOS does the old 8.3 naming convention so make your the directory name you put the files in conforms to that otherwise you'll have a hard time navigating directories.

I tried this with the second laptop's real COM1 port AND the Belkin USB to Serial convertor and they BOTH worked this time! :D

The Belkin has LEDs on it and I could the the LEDs blinking when the VDS-PRO program came up.

So .... in theory, if you have a serial cable, it "should" work. I have a serial cable on order so I can't contribute any more until it comes in.

Remember, bring up a command prompt instead of the 32 bit cmd prompt we all like to use (tab filename completion, up arrow and all the other stuff stolen from the bash shell ... shame on you Bill Gates!).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
... actually, VDS-PRO appears to work without using the porttalk package! I don't really know why ... Win2k/XP usually don't allow direct access to hardware resources but I guess this 16 bit version in XP does. Might not be a bad idea to run the porttalk stuff just in case though.

I have not had a need to do systems programming on PC platforms since NT/early 2k days so I'm a little out of date ... win32 api is all I ever learned/used, I stayed away from the MFC stuff.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
... another vdub engineering tip ...

The vd.cfg file tells the program what COM port to use so you can edit it for your setup, that way it won't just come up and barf on you.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Has anyone found the correct address and value to get the rear hatch to "pop" on the Jetta wagons?

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Just a little update:

After several times of going up and down, the rear windows seem to get "lost." They won't roll up all the way (usually just a SMALL gap at the top) and they seem to "thunk" when they roll all the way down.

I finally checked the CCM for fault codes. There was one for each rear window that basically said "out of adjustment" I cleared them, but the "reversed" behavior is still around.

I have since coded my module back to original, and then back to the "new" settings and the feature works, with the rear windows doing exactly opposite of what they're supposed to do. I need to get a video of it to put next to compu_85's.

does anyone know if this tool can be used to read the ENTIRE eeprom out of the module? If so, we should be able to read out a "good" module and compare it to my "bad" module.

moondawg

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Dawg, I had this problem when I was doing mine. Both rear windows are opposite? Take the original code (before you changed anything), and add 4 to it. That should give you the proper code.

-Jason

Last edited:

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Ahhh... cool. linky? Not that I could read it... I was born there, but didn't live there long!

But I think I see what you're getting at. Were the values at addresses listed different than the 242,250,250,242 shown in ele28's post?

Yeah, I'm a big dummy and didn't write those down.

This mod threw out the hook and I took it like a big dum bass.

moondawg

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Not the softcode, the memeory address your changing.

OLD NEW
04283 138 2
04289 138 2
08628 242 246
12724 250 254
16820 250 254
20916 242 246
The last two address are for the back windows. Whatever your original value was, add 4 to it to turn on the correct function.

-Jason

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
AHA! Thank you to david_594 for sending me the original PDF instructions (in German) While looking at this document, I noticed that the values in this post are transposed. (or at least they were for my car.)

For my control module (which has the same part number as ele28) the values were as follows (differences in bold)

OLD NEW
04283 138 2
04289 138 2
08628 242 246
12724 250 254
16820 242 246
20916 250 254

So right now, all of you are thinking: "moondawg, if you had done your due dilligence and written down your original values at those addresses, you would have noticed right away!"

To everyone thinking that: You're right.

But that's the kind of guy I am, I mess things up so you don't have to!

Thanks to Lito, Greg, David and Jason for helping me through this. If I ever have the chance, first round is on me.

moondawg

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, here's an update for everyone

On my 2000 Bora
1. I used my Hex-Com cable and it works!!! :)

2. My windows now open and close with the FOB, alarm works no other problems.

3. My existing values were different but that's because I have a European CCM to begin with 1J0 959 799 AH

4.Thanks Jason for the baud rate tip!

On my Wife's 2004 Wagon:
I was not able to read the memory addresses posted in the German thread. None of them worked at all.

SVTWEB believes that we do not know the proper memory addresses for the 2004 1C0 959 799C CCM and I think he is correct.

The KVW100 is designed to close your windows, if you leave them open, by just locking the vehicle. David_594 has confirmed this with the inventor in China.