Code P2201 NOx Circuit Range, is this a warranty item?

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Hey guys, since November i've pretty much parked my 2012 TDI until all this mess gets sorted out. It's right at 84k. I still drive the car each weekend for errands so it's not sitting or anything but today i drove it about 80 miles on the way back and it threw an NOx code. Is this something that could potentionally be caused by the turbo or HPFP issues or something completely separate? I really don't feel like paying $150 to have them scan it, telling me I need a $600 part and then 2-6 months later this being one of the parts that needs to be updated anyway, or the entire car being purchased back. I have cleared the code for the next time i drive it to see if it comes back. What do you think my best course of action is? I don't need to drive the vehicle at all, will it potentially cause any damage?

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Not sure what it "threw," so it's hard to tell what the problem is. When ours went out the second winter we had it, we got the AdBlue "no restart in 200 miles" warning in the MFI. Went to the dealer and it turned out to be the rear NOx sensor, was replaced under warranty.
There has been very erratic coverage lately on some items, some things getting covered out of warranty, at another dealer the same thing not. I would lean very hard on VW to replace this, even though it's technically not covered by the emissions warranty.

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
* threw an NOx code

I didnt shut it down or restart it before deleting the code, my Autel 519 scans and deletes with engine running. I'll have to check it next time i restart it.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey guys, since November i've pretty much parked my 2012 TDI until all this mess gets sorted out. It's right at 84k. I still drive the car each weekend for errands so it's not sitting or anything but today i drove it about 80 miles on the way back and it threw an NOx code. Is this something that could potentionally be caused by the turbo or HPFP issues or something completely separate? I really don't feel like paying $150 to have them scan it, telling me I need a $600 part and then 2-6 months later this being one of the parts that needs to be updated anyway, or the entire car being purchased back. I have cleared the code for the next time i drive it to see if it comes back. What do you think my best course of action is? I don't need to drive the vehicle at all, will it potentially cause any damage?
Take it for a nice long drive, and reevaluate the situation. Short trips are about the worst thing you can do to a TDIs emissions system, and it may just need a 'deep cleansing drive' . . . I had a similar error on my Cummins two years ago . . . cleared it, did a cross country trip (no, not just for that . . . I mean, seriously?), and have not seen the code since.

- Tim

Last edited:

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well when i say errands it's usually a 30-40 mile drive every other weekend. Before this all it's life i drove it 100+ miles per day. I'll wait and see if it comes back. Thanks!

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
There have been reports of rodents damaging the wiring. They seem to like the soy based wiring. Not sure if this applies to your situation.

Sandhopper

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Reset

I just keep resetting mine, comes on every ~5000 a 10000 miles. Not going to pay to have it fixed if they are going to be messing with the emissions system anyway. Does not affect the operation of the car and it takes literally 5 seconds to clear it and move on. I am at 85k miles and this has been sporadically happening for about 40 or 50k miles. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for it to code either. I think the sensor alarm is set too close to the NOx limit and this is why it keeps coding. See what VW comes up with for the "Fix"

Shawn MacAnanny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I just keep resetting mine, comes on every ~5000 a 10000 miles. Not going to pay to have it fixed if they are going to be messing with the emissions system anyway. Does not affect the operation of the car and it takes literally 5 seconds to clear it and move on. I am at 85k miles and this has been sporadically happening for about 40 or 50k miles. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason for it to code either. I think the sensor alarm is set too close to the NOx limit and this is why it keeps coding. See what VW comes up with for the "Fix"
That's good to know. This is the first time i've ever had a check engine light on the car.

Powersmokin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367393

Might be worth checking that thread?

I can't recall if there is an extended emissions warranty on the vehicle, something around 100,000 miles? Ill have to check my owners manual.

But if you are still within the emissions warranty range, a NOx catalyst deficiency (what the current scandal is about lol) should be covered under extended emissions warranty.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367393

Might be worth checking that thread?

I can't recall if there is an extended emissions warranty on the vehicle, something around 100,000 miles? Ill have to check my owners manual.

But if you are still within the emissions warranty range, a NOx catalyst deficiency (what the current scandal is about lol) should be covered under extended emissions warranty.
The emissions warranty is 24K/24Mo. Was it extended? I don't think so. When did that happen?

The "extended warranty" referenced in that thread I think is talking about the warranty you purchase at the time of sale of the vehicle - not something VW extended to all owners for free.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Never seen so much talk of a CELwhile skirting around the actual "code" that was recorded by the ECU.

Oh well, good luck solving your problem.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
The emissions warranty is 24K/24Mo. Was it extended? I don't think so. When did that happen?

The "extended warranty" referenced in that thread I think is talking about the warranty you purchase at the time of sale of the vehicle - not something VW extended to all owners for free.

This is incorrect. Federally, companies are required to provide a 8 year / 80,000 emission specific component warranty. The 2 year / 24,000 mile warranty you speak of is a "performance warranty". Which is in case the vehicle fails to pass a SMOG check. Some sates, such as a California, extend the emission warranty period based on the rating of the vehicles; ULEV, PZEV, ZEV etc.