Code P0252 with Limp Mode on 2003 TDI - Help!!

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
Here's my story. I have a 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 spd with 60K. The engine light came on, went to Autozone and read the codes, they were P0128 (coolant temp sensor), P0672 and P0674 (glow plugs 2 and 4) and P0252 Fuel pump metering control A). I replaced the CTS, glow plugs 2 & 4 (reverse number order from the cylinders) which eliminated all of the codes except P0252.

The symptom is that the car defaults into "Limp" mode. Now upon further investigation, if I turn the engine off (via the key), then drive off immediately, the car drives with normal acceration for maybe 20 seconds then back to Limp mode, further if I turn the engine off and let it sit at idle for anything over 5 seconds, it goes immediately into Limp mode.

The car starts and idles fine. I also replaced rhe fuel filter.

I've searched the net and can not find any helpful info associated with this P0252 code. I'm hoping some kind soul has encounted this condition and can advise on solutions.

Very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+1]16636 = P0252

Injection Pump Metering Control (A) Range/Performance

[/SIZE][/FONT]
The code reader at Autozone (and other such code readers) only provide the "ASE" or P-code which are industry wide standard codes.
Having the VAG version is much more helpful.

You may want to "bookmark" this page:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm
So you have a handy VW conversion.

Code 16636 I would start by having your fuel injection timing checked as well as having a look-see at your current injection quanity.

This would give you a place to start your diagnosis.

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
Thank you Herm for the cross reference.

Since the car runs fine if I just start it and drive (for about 25 seconds that is) I have a hard time thinking it would be the injection timing as this would always be off if true - correct or am I missing something. Also, how do I check the injection quantity? Lastly, tonight in the dark with a penlight I noticed some fine air bubbles, occationally, in the clear tube from filter to pump - could this contribute? (I reclamped the connections but still see some mini bubbles).

Thank you for the help

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
"Tiny bubbles" in the line...are normal.
The fuel injection timing can be out-of-range and still have the engine start and run. It's best to have it checked by someone with Vag-Com.

The same for the injection quanity (IQ) you need to have someone with Vag-Com to check and adjust it (if needed).

Glowman

TDI
03 TDI wagon
Thanks again, I'll find someone with the VAG com. BTW, could the fuel temperature sensor be a possible culprit?

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Fts

Glowman said:
Thanks again, I'll find someone with the VAG com. BTW, could the fuel temperature sensor be a possible culprit?
The Fuel Temp Sensor (FTS) will trip its own identifing fault code when it fails or reads out of range.

Taz_2571

TDI
1999 Jetta TDI
I wonder if you guys have an idea of what my problem might be, my 1999 jetta late model has 297000 and some change on it, this problem just appear from the night to the morning, we were driving back from a trip approx, 3 hour drive and I gassed up at a pump on hwy 400 near Barrie,Ontario, as I got home parked in the garage, and the following morning I go to start and as it runs it starts chugging and the RPM goes up and down from 1000 to 900 on and on, so I let it idle for a bit thinking at the cold temp. The chug did not stop but I decide to drive it so as I drive in first gear it chugs second it still chugs tird it start to drive normal and so on. Every time I have to stop and drive again same story until after maybe 20 min. the problem kind of desappear, but if I turn it off and give the time to cool down the problem is back the same, I replace the fuel filter and clean the air filter and snow snorkle. The problem is a bit less but stil persist, could it be the timing belt or what? Anybody might have a more educated guess than mine? Also is there a way to read the code on the digital dash when engine light is on with out the OBDII, like turning key while holding something down? I took it to VW dealer but they start giving problems and lots of cash to fix as if the car was ready for the junk yard!!!

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
TDI
Hello Taz,
From the discription that you have provided this current problem started right after a re-fuel stop. Then the next moring you have this problem with RPM surge and over all poor performance.

After a fuel filter replacment the problem deminishes but still present.

I would suspect that you picked up a batch of poor (or contaminated) fuel.

Your best bet is to drain the tank and refill with fresh known good #2 diesel and then see what happens to your performance.

The only way to read a "CEL" (Check Eng Light) is to use a code reader or Vag-Com

Herm