Code 2564, what is it?

Chasee

Self-Exiled SPV, Deactivated Account
I posted this on Friday at the Biodiesel forum, but no responses over there. Reason being that I have successfully run on WVO for the past 85K and have been posting there a lot.

Anyway, here's what happened on Thursday:

Thursday, CEL went on while driving. Nothing perceptible happened, I was cruising on the highway doing 75+, Got home about 30 minutes later and scanned the codes:

SAE: P2564
Text: Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit Low

So I cleared it. Went driving again last night on the highway. About an hour into it, light came on again. Same thing in that there was nothing perceptibly wrong with the car. I floored it a few times, felt great. I feathered it to be as steady as possible, still felt great.

Cleared it again.

Friday, local driving, CEL came on. Got home after some miles of local stuff, car still feeling fine, same code.

Saturday, local driving, no CEL light, at least not yet.

I'm thinking its the actual sensor or corroded contacts since there is no perceptible problem.

What do you think?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
It's the sensor on the turbo itself. check for corrosion or a bad connector.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I had the same problem this weekend. Turned out to be a bad wire. I had copied one of the other posts here and gave to dealer to assist them. According to work order "Cause: Open wires to turbocharger vane position sensor."

Chasee

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can spot anything this weekend. Code has not come back for 2 days now.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Mine was somewhat intermittent too-got the code, cleared it. It went away for several bouts of stopping & starting. Came back the next day, cleared again. Disappeared for most of the day, then back on again.

watersniper

I have the same code, it will clear but comes right back. Car runs fine otherwise. I'll check the wiring and start from there....

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
watersniper said:
I have the same code, it will clear but comes right back. Car runs fine otherwise. I'll check the wiring and start from there....
Do you have a boost gauge? As I am also getting this fault code. And boost pressure at times is running higher than normal.

Jools

TDI
2004 Jetta
I'm having the same problem guys. Where can I find the sensor so I can check the wiring?

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Jools said:
I'm having the same problem guys. Where can I find the sensor so I can check the wiring?
On PDs it is on the bottom of the turbo. Just repaired my wires to the sensor. Bad spot in wire was 6" from connector, up in the plastic cover.

I'll post pics later.

Jools

TDI
2004 Jetta
Great! I'd like to see those pics mctdi. Looking forward to it as I can't seem to find it.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
G500 with bad wires

I hope this info is of help to others.

Now looking back, wires were giving a problem about a year ago, without any code. Boost gauge would go to about 10 PSI for cruising on the highway, not change much going up & down small hills. Then a month ago had code P2564 twice.

Code was gone until last week, now code was at every start of engine. From Vag-Com EGR duty cycle was solid 100.6%; actual MAF was well above requested; actual MAP was above requested. So last Sunday went under car and looked around. Found the two wires with wear/ cut. Pulled back the plastic protective sleeve and found the bad yellow wire.

Ordered repair wires and new connector. Fixed wiring, and now EGR duty cycle ranges mostly from 60% to 90%, actual MAF is very close to requested; actual MAP is also very close to requested. The car has more zoom zoom, too. And maybe a little bit better mileage.

[IMG
]
[/IMG]
Looking up at turbo.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Chasee

OK, I finally got time to pull my Panzer Plate and get to the connector. Wires are fine as far as I can tell. But when I disconnect the cable end from the receiver, one of the three tiny copper connector ports has some obvious oxidation. I took a watch size flat-head screw driver and tried to lightly scrape it. Reconnected, cleared code, it came back.

So, are those cable ends obtainable, and is it easy enough to connect all three wires into it? Or is there a specific type of contact cleaner spray I should try first?

BTW, mine looks different from the pics above in case what I'm explaining seems confusing.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Chasee said:
OK, I finally got time to pull my Panzer Plate and get to the connector. Wires are fine as far as I can tell. But when I disconnect the cable end from the receiver, one of the three tiny copper connector ports has some obvious oxidation. I took a watch size flat-head screw driver and tried to lightly scrape it. Reconnected, cleared code, it came back.

So, are those cable ends obtainable, and is it easy enough to connect all three wires into it? Or is there a specific type of contact cleaner spray I should try first?

BTW, mine looks different from the pics above in case what I'm explaining seems confusing.
Here are some pics of the connector. The connector and repair wires can be bought at a VW dealer or http://www.worldimpex.com/
For my car : connector # 1J0973703 /// repair wires # 000979131

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

vwgtiman

TDI
05 Jetta GLS
Code 2564

I am new to the club but have had my TDI since 05. A few days prior to going to the garage for the TB replacement I got a check engine light. I have VAG COM so I dusted off the cable and found a 2564. I looked on the net and this is when I found this site. Great Site! Anyway, I didnt see any problems in the wiring and the connector seemed clean... I ended up having the dealer look at it when the TB ws replaced. It was a bad wire... Approx 5" up under the split loom. They replaced it with a length of "yellow" and that was it... Seems to me this cable is prone to vibratio0n damage; I guess from the loom rubbing through it???

Chasee

Finally got the connector replaced. It seems there was also an 02 sensor fault which my code scanner could not detect. Weirder thing is, the code database at the dealership did not list it either. The VW computer scanner came up with the code, but when the mech tried to look up what it actually was, it did not exist.

Anyway, connector fixed that too. Car feels great, though it never really felt bad. I think its more psychological on my part. :)

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Had the same problem, the wires were corroded going to the connector

verbalnoncents

Veteran Member
TDI
Sport Edition 2004
My Car just threw a p2564 as well... I'm going to take a peek and see if the wires are corroded...

Why do I get some many problems with VW... cheap plastics on the inside, cheap trunk latch, thief approved deactivation of the alarm with a flat screwdriver on your driver's door, defective coolant sensor and now this.
I wonder why people buy these cars?

Of course I am getting really good mileage!
Makes it somewhat pallatable :D

Just had to vent.... thanks.

ianfar

TDI
05 PD Jetta - retired 2015 Jetta
Do a search of P2564. The sensor is between the firewall and the engine, attached to the turbo.

You need to get under the car to get to it. Pray that your sensor is fine and the wires are bad...

cdach2000

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI 5M, Reflex Silver RIP 255K
Pulled the connector, checked the contacts they looked great. Checked the wires in the back, they looked outstanding. Very Sad :( Read this thread. Pulled the wires from the loom, B I N G O !!!! One was broken inside the casing. Time to fix it. That casing is very hard and there is not alot of room to work. I used a sharp razor blade to strip off some insulation then bent the wire and popped the conductors out. Thanks again TDICLUB :) Its all in the loom :)

Also check your vacuum lines. I replaced a few nearly worn through, amazing what some miles, some vibration, and some friction can do. Of course always first check that black hard plastic one that hooks directly into the booster. Cracks like to hide behind back, out of sight. ;) I had the same thing happen to my A/C hose, wore right through the aluminum.

2004 Jetta TDI PD - 205362 miles+ (Still on the original clutch :))

Last edited:

1Kpertank

TDI
2005 Golf
mctdi, thanks for posting the photos here.

my symptom was MIL on and code 18996 - boost control position sensor circuit P2564 signal too low . after clearing, the MIL and same code returned with the next ignition on .

a 18628 lambda sensor P2196 signal too high (rich) intermittent fault for o2 sensor was also present.

Under the car I found the similar damage on wire harness to the turbo VNT position sensor, peeled back the split loom, and 3/4 inch away from the connector body the Yellow conductor was broken but insulation holding it together, Purple wire insulation was deeply nicked and copper gone green. I have removed the old connector , spliced on 3 repair wires # 000979131 to the harness using butt connectors and heat shrink tubing. sealed it up further with liquid electrical tape. tucked harness back into split the loom then slid some flexo braided sleeve over the repaired area. pushed the repair terminals into a new connector body. then used a cable tie to secure the flexo to the connector body and another to hold it to the existing split loom. Cleared codes and went for a drive . the MIL and previous engine related faults remain clear. Definitely has it's mojo back pulling stronger.

Note the 1J0973703 connector housing is now listed under part number 3D0-973-703 Housing. they appear to be identical items compared side by side.

Albertocrat

TDI
2005 Golf
Im seeing this code as one of a few codes. I don't see anyone mentioning it but were there any physical issues. My vehicle is going into limp mode. Wont let my rpms go past 3k. Ill have normal function at start up until the turbo goes to engage. Doesn't seem that this will be the culprit but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. Ill be checking the wires tomorrow as its 27 degrees out currently.

russjohnson

TDI
04 jetta tdi
2004 jetta tdi getting p2564. Just replaced for the second time turbo boost sensor still getting cel light on. Help! Light keeps coming back.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Adding my experience to this thread - 2004 Jetta PD:

CEL came on about a ~week ago - along with an "Emissions Workshop!" warning in the FIS, which I thought was a bit odd - and the code was:
18996 - Turbocharger Boost Control Position Sensor Circuit P2564 - 000 - Signal too Low

Doing the reading here, it seemed likely that it was just an electrical issue - I had no other driveability issues (no limp mode, for example, and power delivery seemed fine). The actuator sensor (G500 in the wiring diagrams) is accessible from under the car, and as others have reported, abrasion from the loom had worn through the yellow wire (pin 3) in two spots.

It was fairly easy to solder in a replacement length of wire, and that sorted it out. Fortunately, I did not have to traverse too far up the loom, so access was good enough. But, make sure you do pull the wires out all the way back to the T where it meets the other harness. The other two wires looked fine, and I had no problem getting the connector off. I'd tried to remove the pin, just to make half the soldering job easier, but was not able to (connectors that have the plug seal are extra difficult), but it proved unnecessary.

Note that my connector was covered by a heat-shield jacket - I had to cut this off with side cutters, and then used a couple of zip ties to put it back on. Don't try to slide the jacket out of the way up the wire - you won't be able to, because of the plastic end cap on the loom, which is inside the jacket.

I had to use VCDS to clear the code - maybe it would have cleared itself after more of a drive to reset readiness, but it's been clear now for a few days and few 100'kms.

A straightforward job - re&re of the evo skidplate was, per usual, the bigger pain in the ass - hopefully everyone else is as lucky that it's just a broken wire.

mutzie

TDI
2006 TDI GLS
2564 error code

Good afternoon,
Mine just gave me the same code. The car runs fine.
Only I have a 06 TDI GLS. The others were referring to a PD engine (same as Milne ?) I believe I have a BEW engine.

Problem is that I do not know where to look exactly.
From the top or bottom ? next to what ? connected to ?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good afternoon,
Only I have a 06 TDI GLS. The others were referring to a PD engine (same as Milne ?) I believe I have a BEW engine.

Thanks for the help,

Mike
Down underneath, passenger side, towards the back

bbbbbq

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 sedan, '06 wagon
Good afternoon,
Thanks for the help,
Mike
BEW is PD. The connector is fairly easy to spot once you are down there. It's the only one attached to the turbo actuator.