Clutch Vibrations

vbenw

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI
Last week I purchased a 2000 VW Golf GLS TDI 5 speed with 54,000 miles. I have been a VW owner for quite a few years ,but recently made the jump to diesel. I love it ,however I have noticed that when the cluch is engaged I feel a vibration. When it's on the floor I feel nothing. I feel in in every gear and neutral. Is this common with the TDI or is this a pressure plate or flywheel problem? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.

GolfNut

TDI
2003 Golf 2dr 5-Speed (Black)
No, Benjamin, I feel it to. Since my Golf was new, I've felt a vibration, chatter, whatever, when letting out the clutch. However, in my case, it's only from a stand still.
The dealer (Hannah VW in Vancouver,WA)told me this was quite exceptable. I've driven stick-shift autos for over 40 years and never felt vibes like these. From what I've read, VW cranked up the spring tension on the pressure plate after numerous failures. So I guess we have to live with this poor feel.

SmokingSoul

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Bora TDI 115hp, Gray
I feel those vibrations too, but they are more pronounced when the car is cold. When hot, i barely feel them, but they are there /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I talked about this with other people in the past and it seems to be a common symptom ow these cars ... I guess we have to live with it...

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
Remember, the diesel is a more violent engine than the gasser. Those detonations are going to be felt through anything attached to the engine. Is it a good thing to be "feeling" an engaged clutch pedal? Akin to resting one's hand on the gearshift? There is a related problem called "mirror blur" at high speeds.

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I've always wondered why, exactly, you shouldn't rest your hand on the shifter while driving.. the owners manual says it can damage the transmission or something. Is it because your hand is preventing some of the vibration which sends it back down to the transmission?

Monica

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, Platinum Gray
I've heard this as well. The only way I can have it make sense in my mind is if you have enough force on the shifter to hold it in place, cuz don't they move around a little bit, even just slightly?

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
Seems like it would matter if it were an old RWD car and the stick went straight into the tranny. It does present a nice place to hang one's hand. My old flight instructor yelled at me so often for taking my right hand off of the throttle that I now have to have it on something, even when I drive a car. /images/graemlins/wink.gif BTW, he augered in a couple of years ago, probably while yelling at the poor student to keep his hand on the throttle.

Steve777

Veteran Member
The reason behind not resting your hand on the shift lever, is that in doing so you may be putting extra force on the shift forks int he tranny. Those forks are not designed to take alot of force over a long period of time, just suupposed to be used during the shifts. Even a slight constant pressure is going to increase their wear. I would suspect this is true of the cable linkage shifters as well as the direct connect...

HTH