clutch slipped once but doesnt slip anymore... any ideas?

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
im rather new here so if this thread is in the wrong department, please relocate me.

i drive a 2000 tdi golf. with an ALH, and obviously a 5sp manual
it has around 200k miles
the original owner had the clutch replaced at around 80k miles

it was replaced by the dealership.
no telling what they put in it, but i would speculate an identical part number.
so around 20k miles ago i was road trippin from my current location in NW Florida, up to North Carolina.

about an hour into the trip i finally turned on the cruise control in 5th gear, and held the accelerate switch for a few seconds, and the engine speed rose rather quickly, while the speedo remained constant...
the computer stopped accelerating before i could recognize what was going on, so i slowly accelerated up to cruising speed manually.

it was bugging me pretty badly, and (only about 45 minutes from home/30 miles) after a bit i tried to "test" the clutch. sure enough it slipped

but it didnt seem to have any problems cruising, so i proceeded to my brothers house.

after arriving home some 1500 miles later
i met with my dad, and explained the symptoms. we attempted to test it once more, and it would not slip.
we couldnt even get it to slip trying.

in the past few months ive installed .216 injectors, and demufflered the exhaust.

and it still wont slip...

any explanations?
and if i was to get engine tuning would my likely clutch fail immediately

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
What time of year was the trip to NC? Was it cold? A marginal clutch is more likely to slip in cold weather.

Considering the replacement job was done by a dealer, they probably used OEM parts, meaning the SACHS, aka SUCKS clutch kit. Was it replaced 80K ago, or at 80k on the ODO?

It may be time to replace it again, especially if you plan any further mods. If you do replace it, spend a few dollars more and replace the rear main seal, since you've got the transmission out. It's always good to kill zwei vogel mit ein stein.

The VR6/G60 clutch kits are very popular. I put Sprint 520s in my '02 Jetta and had no problems with the clutch. Not 1 mile after having RC2 installed the clutch slipped like it had butter on it. A South Bend Stage 1 was installed by MrCHill and I never had another problem.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
it was cooler but i wouldnt say it was "cold" the trip was right around new years
but i am in the dirty south

but it was equally cold when i returned home

80k miles and 80k miles ago would have bee about the same mileage as of the time the previous owner told me that...
so either way your interpretation is sound.

i actually have a decat, demuffler, and a CAI that i picked up second hand for $30 plus a new filter($30)

on top of the .216's

after hearing that i think im going to go with a vr6/g60 clutch/ 18lb single mass flywheel
sounds like most people are happy with that combo

and considering it will be a month or so before i can get the rc2, if i need a clutch first
should i just go ahead and install a FMIC, hard piping, dawes, egt and boost gauges
since all of that would be about the cost of tuning.

just hold off and go RC3?

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
according to wunderground.com it was 50degrees that morning and i may have been 30-50 miles north so 45 minimum...
plus heat soak from the warm engine

and there were colder days after the trip aswell

but regardless im getting the vr6/g60 either before, or directly resulting from the tunning

any other thoughts how imminent the clutch failure is?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Ben Dur said:
any other thoughts how imminent the clutch failure is?
I wouldn't worry about a failure too much, but I also wouldn't enter any drag races. Meaning, take it easy on the clutch and you'll probably be OK.

Put an OEM air filter and housing back on. Your MAF will thank you.

As for the clutch/tuning. It's always better to overdo it with the clutch. If you're serious about RC3 and the other mods, you may want a stage 2 clutch, or higher. A lighter flywheel will give quicker rev's, but you may get chatter on engagement. The stock weight is 21lbs and usually doesn't cause chatter.

It's a good idea to do the clutch first so you can break it in before increasing power.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
the filter is dry, do you honestly think they filter less particles?
is there really no benefit from a CAI?

or would i get good benefit from a "ram" of sorts, that funnels air from the left bumper vent up towards the stock air box? i cut the back of the bumper vent out to be a perfect mirror of the right bumper vent for more airflow towards the intake

if theres no benefit of the CAI over a ram-swiss cheese oem airbox. with better MAF protection going to OEM ill switch and fab tomorrow afternoon

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
I wouldn't worry about a failure too much, but I also wouldn't enter any drag races. Meaning, take it easy on the clutch and you'll probably be OK.

this actually funny considering i did 4 passes on an 8th mile about 2 month ago...

10.5 at 68 mph if you care...

but i wasnt planning on doing it again anytime soon.

havnt experience any slip since then either

i talked to someone about it and he (redneck ish) said sometimes a clutch heals itself...

but i didnt buy it so that bring us up to date...

and by a stage 2 clutch what are you referring to?
a south bend stage 2 for example?

would a vr6/g60 be more equivalent to a stage 1?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
the filter is dry, do you honestly think they filter less particles?
is there really no benefit from a CAI?

or would i get good benefit from a "ram" of sorts, that funnels air from the left bumper vent up towards the stock air box? i cut the back of the bumper vent out to be a perfect mirror of the right bumper vent for more airflow towards the intake

if theres no benefit of the CAI over a ram-swiss cheese oem airbox. with better MAF protection going to OEM ill switch and fab tomorrow afternoon
The OEM snorkel rams air into the air filter box. It's mounted right above the radiator.

If it's a dry filter and doesn't offer any performance improvement, then what's the point? K&N prides themselves on more performance. More performance means more airflow, oiled or dry. More airflow means less filtration.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
or the same filtration over a greater surface area...
i thought it did offer improvement, and reduced smoke.
but it may have been placebo effect in all honesty

the snorkel design seemed obviously constrictive to me, but ive seen at least a few tdi's surpassing 200hp with original air boxes, or r32 airboxes, which are very similar

but were getting off topic.