Clutch (Slave) Hydraulic line seal(s) - leak

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I had a hydraulic fluid leak at point "A" in the photo... it was leaking even with the clutch pedal up...

The end-piece "B" rotates a bit on the hose end, but the leak is not from the "O" ring (which would come out on the other - internal side of the housing). I got a bag of seals 1K0 798 741, and various online sources say I should be also replacing the larger, thicker seal - but... where would it go? There's no such seal present now in the slave cylinder... as well, the leak appears to be internal to that end-piece. Is the hose beyond rescue or is there a way to stop it from leaking there?

Yuri

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Surely the seal on the right which goes on the end should stop the fluid unless there's a small fracture in the pipe which you can't see.

The seal should prevent fluid getting over the lip of the pipe and getting up the inside.

I really can't remember about the other seal now, it's been a while since I dealt with it but it looks like there's a second groove just above the taper between points A and B for it?

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Is the one on the right inside of the master and the o-ring in the furthest it groove.
I remember having it apart, however, I can't remember what I saw.
As said, unless there's a crack, the seals should stop it from leaking.
If the one on the right is hard and stuck inside the master cylinder that would make sense.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The leak is coming from the back end of the unit - where the hard hose goes into the metal fitting... both of your suggestions point to the front of the fitting - but they wouldn't reach the actual end of the hose, which appears to be internal... that fitting rotates along that hose, and the leak is at the junction... I don't see any way of accessing any surface that would seal the hose to the fitting (and eventually, the inside of the slave cylinder...)

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Jb weld epoxy putty, water weld. I have used it on AC lines, aluminum, board plastic, and yes brake lines. Metal needs to be perfectly clean and bare. Plastic gloves, work it fast like making a string out of the putty and rolling it up over and over, it should feel very warm and very sticky. Apply liberally and work it in. Wet finger works well to smooth it after 10 minutes.
That or just take it to a welding shop. Your call. Either will work fine

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Whew - A new line is $125!

Aluminum solder/weld won't work because the line is steel.

If I were to do it again I'd braze it with silicone bronze or silverbraze.

JB Weld would likely work, but I'd hesitate to trust it long term. Not from a catastrophic failure standpoint, but it'll likely leak again.

Maybe look for a new/used line from a junkyard. Any MKIV 5 speed line will work.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks... I'll give the JB Weld a shot... I'll see how tricky it is to remove the other end of the line from the seemingly inaccessible Master cylinder...

Y.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Thanks... I'll give the JB Weld a shot... I'll see how tricky it is to remove the other end of the line from the seemingly inaccessible Master cylinder...

Y.
I would go at least 1 inch down the line in full coverage to try and keep it from spinning.
You can use the steel use just ad well. I found that the water weld works best because it's much more sticky when mixed. . I would build it a bit up more than you want and file and sand it so it looks nice.
Welding would be nicer though.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK... JB Welded... seems to hold... for now... I'm not sure how long this type of repair will last... hopefully it's quasi-permanent - but the resulting patch doesn't seem to be all that hardy... (I had to re-do it, and had no trouble destroying the original patch with pliers...)

Thanks for the help!!

Y.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then you didnt mix it up enough. Also did you use the putty stick or the 2a b mix liquid stuff?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I was wondering if the fluid was getting over the lip and up the inside, couldn't remember how it actually was on my car. Anyway seen this, explains the seals

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Used line? Seems like I used to have a little pile of these lines inmy shop. I can’t see myself selling one for more than about $15. Not that I have a shop anymore or a pile of clutch lines.