Clutch replacement MK7 TDI

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Was just wondering if anybody has changed the clutch on their mk7 tdis yet, what it takes, DIY vs dealer, prices, kit used, etc.?

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Bump for you because I'm going to be looking to do one in the coming months. Seems most say to stay with a DMF. Are you tuned or bigger turbo? I'm tuned/deleted so trying to find something with a bit less shudder.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I haven't done any of my 2015, but 3 times at least for older mk4-5. Definitively, if you are handy and have done a timing belt or suspension work (multiple steps, careful work) then you can tackle this yourself.
A shop will always be expensive, but most importantly, in this economy with labor shortages you don't want a shop to rush your job, or guess.

Remember, this 6M gearbox is not new, it is the same fitted from 2009 cars up, so lots of people have already changed clutch and DMF on these. Procedure is very similar to a 5spd from what I read.

You need a set of triple square bits that includes a long one of the correct size (forget which one), this is a very nice set:

Then the clutch itself, I believe I've read there is Sachs and LuK from factory and they do not mix, so my plan is to change everything to LuK using:

* LuK RepSet 02-057 Clutch Kit
* LuK DMF123 Dual Mass Flywheel

Good luck.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Im s
I haven't done any of my 2015, but 3 times at least for older mk4-5. Definitively, if you are handy and have done a timing belt or suspension work (multiple steps, careful work) then you can tackle this yourself.
A shop will always be expensive, but most importantly, in this economy with labor shortages you don't want a shop to rush your job, or guess.

Remember, this 6M gearbox is not new, it is the same fitted from 2009 cars up, so lots of people have already changed clutch and DMF on these. Procedure is very similar to a 5spd from what I read.

You need a set of triple square bits that includes a long one of the correct size (forget which one), this is a very nice set:

Then the clutch itself, I believe I've read there is Sachs and LuK from factory and they do not mix, so my plan is to change everything to LuK using:

* LuK RepSet 02-057 Clutch Kit
* LuK DMF123 Dual Mass Flywheel

Good luck.
Im stock and Ive done a few MK4s, but was just wondering what to expect on MK7 since it is a little bit more complicated than mk4 and there is not a lot of videos on youtube specific for mk7 tdi

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i'd have to wager that the RO/RI the transmission of mk7 tdi 6MT isn't that much different than GTI or R clutch jobs (tons of videos of those). Same transmission mounts, maybe a couple more hoses/pipes out front that might cause some frustration.

The DMF and PP of the clutch will be slightly different.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
i'd have to wager that the RO/RI the transmission of mk7 tdi 6MT isn't that much different than GTI or R clutch jobs (tons of videos of those). Same transmission mounts, maybe a couple more hoses/pipes out front that might cause some frustration.

The DMF and PP of the clutch will be slightly different.
did you have to remove the inner cv flanges from the transmission or did it come out with them on with no issues? did you drain the tran oil prior?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I've never removed a 6MT but have seen a few youtube videos (that counts right?) of people dead lifting the 6mt on their badk, I'd wager those CV flanges def have to be pulled,

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've had the unfortunate pleasure of having my 02Q off twice on my Golf. It's not a hard job, nor is it much different at all than the GTI/R. You need to keep the DMF, or you'll be doing it twice like I did...
You can do the job on jack stands (the higher the better). The inner axle flanges should come out (so get new seals), the passenger side one won't clear the block when removing/installing due to the input shaft limiting your available movement at that point. When you remove the mount, you'll want to lower the motor/gearbox just enough that it clears the frame rail, and also pivot the motor towards the radiator. Helps the gearbox clear the subframe.

@Nutty 5.0 There's no upgrade or way to limit shudder other than getting your tune adjusted...OR, get a larger turbo that makes peak boost just after the limits of the DMF ;)

I highly recommend the Sachs SRE kit with organic disc if needing more holding power, it's a very nice stock feeling upgrade. It also has a single-piece slave cylinder. The LUK version (stock on the NA MK7 cars) has an o-ring along the shaft that is a common failure point and can even cause fluid to ruin the clutch if/when it fails.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had the unfortunate pleasure of having my 02Q off twice on my Golf. It's not a hard job, nor is it much different at all than the GTI/R. You need to keep the DMF, or you'll be doing it twice like I did...
You can do the job on jack stands (the higher the better). The inner axle flanges should come out (so get new seals), the passenger side one won't clear the block when removing/installing due to the input shaft limiting your available movement at that point. When you remove the mount, you'll want to lower the motor/gearbox just enough that it clears the frame rail, and also pivot the motor towards the radiator. Helps the gearbox clear the subframe.

@Nutty 5.0 There's no upgrade or way to limit shudder other than getting your tune adjusted...OR, get a larger turbo that makes peak boost just after the limits of the DMF ;)

I highly recommend the Sachs SRE kit with organic disc if needing more holding power, it's a very nice stock feeling upgrade. It also has a single-piece slave cylinder. The LUK version (stock on the NA MK7 cars) has an o-ring along the shaft that is a common failure point and can even cause fluid to ruin the clutch if/when it fails.
whats up with the DMF? why keep it?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
DMF's purpose is to absorb all the vibration pulses of the crankshaft rather than sending them through the gearbox. The older TDIs that came with the 02J and 02M transmissions had brass synchros that could take that beating without breaking. From about 2010+, the 02Q was built with steel synchros that when beaten long enough, the retaining ears break off and you essentially lose the gear once all three let go.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
DMF's purpose is to absorb all the vibration pulses of the crankshaft rather than sending them through the gearbox. The older TDIs that came with the 02J and 02M transmissions had brass synchros that could take that beating without breaking. From about 2010+, the 02Q was built with steel synchros that when beaten long enough, the retaining ears break off and you essentially lose the gear once all three let go.
well...i.undetstand that, i think i misuderstood you when you say " you need to keep it" rather than replace with the new one

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
DMFs have a service life. Although drivers have found it pretty highly variable, most say a reasonable limit is 200K miles. Given the labor involved in pulling the transmission to replace the clutch, it makes sense to replace the DMF at the same time.

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT

What a perfectly timed thread (unfortunately). Went to leave for my commute to working this morning and clutch pedal went straight to the floor. No amount of pumping was bringing it up. Didn't have time to check fluid levels but no visible leaks under the vehicle.

2015 TDI SEL with 50k miles and Malone Stage 2 for about 12k. No slipping but when I bought the car in January I did hear squeaking from the clutch pedal as well as it getting stuck halfway at random times (would return, just needed pulled up by foot and could still operate the clutch, just felt weird with a very short stroke).

From my limited research I'm guessing pressure plate or slave cylinder failure? @adjat84th you mention that all NA MK7s come with LUK as opposed to SACHS? Is this an absolute thing? About to order a LUK clutch kit and want to make sure I get the right thing since SACHS and LUK can't be interchanged as I'm keeping the original DMF.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
@robschwieb I would agree if you're keeping the stock DMF to make sure to stay with LUK (the dealer can lookup your VIN to be sure). You can purchase the Sachs one-piece CSC from some of our vendors, but I can't say for sure it would work 100% with the LUK PP.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I just decoupled the gearbox with the engine OUT of the car, and the passenger axle flange is a PITA to clear the DMF. Doable, sure..but that's where it hangs up. FYI

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I haven’t done a MK7 but on the MK4 I rotate transmission so the differential is pointing straight up at 12 o’clock lift trans with a jack & then rotated it back into position it clearest the sub frame on the driver side no need to remove flanges