Clutch replacement assistance/mechanic

Fallen Angel

TDI
96 Passat TDI
Sooo... my new to me 96 Passat is going pretty well. Needed all 4 tires, brakes on all 4 corners (not a really big deal, just stuff I know I won't need to replace anytime soon) and otherwise drives well enough. On the way in to work today up a huge hill 65mph, noticed the dreaded clutch slip. Not completely slipping, but if hammering on full throttle the rpm will jump about 200rpm or so.

I was a mechanic for years, so no big deal working on stuff. Though I no longer have access to a garage and being winter months, there isn't a place for me to do the job myself once I sort out parts.

Is there a mechanic anywhere around the hudson valley that won't charge me an arm and a leg to throw in my new clutch (thinking the kit from kerma would be great)? If not.. Anyone up for helping me out with the work for a fee+brew of your choice?

silverstick

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS (160K miles), and '05 Jetta GLS wagon (120K)
You can't go wrong with Mike Hevner (Hevster1 on the TDI forums). He's in Montague NJ, about 75 miles southwest of Kingston. I take both my TDI's to him, and he's farther from me than from you. Others come from even farther.

This thread will give you an idea of how TDI Club members feel about his work:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=331284

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Left Lane Cars is in northern NJ, they are also an active TDIClub shop.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I know of a couple spots near me(Albany/Saratoga) that I could recommend. PM me if you're still interested.