Clutch release problem ?

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
The clutch on my 03 was recently replaced. Everything feels good until the pedal is about two inches from the floor. Then it appears to partially release making it difficult to shift. I swapped out the slave cylinder but it had the same issue. I'm wondering if there a problem with the master cylinder. Any ideas ?

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Did the clutch work properly right after replacement, or has the problem been there since the clutch was replaced?

Did you bleed the slave properly after replacing it?

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
No, it's had this problem since replacing the clutch. I did bleed the clutch using the Motive pressure bleeder but no change in the way it acts.

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
It sounds like something was not aligned right on installation.

I haven't done a clutch on a TDI yet, but I did one on my truck. One of the things we had to be careful of was installing the release fork in the correct orientation. If installed the wrong way the clutch would not disengage.

160KjettaTDi

TDI
2001 Jetta
I also have the same problem. I just replaced the clutch myself. After comlete I assumed that I had made a mistake so I removed the transaxle again to take a look and every thing was fine. New release lever, bearing, ball stud, pressure plate, and disc.

I also thought that the release cylinder may have failed from the additional pressure of the new parts butt(this id a handy trick). I pulled the timing viewing window open (little rubber gromett that just pulls right out located on the top of the transaxle) and was able to feel the position of the release lever. I then had my buddy hold down the clutch pedal to see if the release lever moved and how much. It moved about an inch and a quarter from the engaged position ending up about 3/8 inch away from the presure plate.

This is a very difficulkt problem because every thing seems to be functioning properly. It just won't fully release.

Does any body know how much release lever travel is required for the clutch to fully release or how close to the presure plate the back of the release lever should end up when the clutch is fully depresed?

If someone knows the answers to the questions above we can check through our timing inspeciton view hole without removing the transaxle again.

Even though after doing mine twice in a row I can get it off and back on pretty quick.

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
So you think there's still air in the system? What's the recommended procedure using a pressure bleeder? Some say press the pedal to the floor and leave it there. Others say hold the pedal half way.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
air is the most likely cause if the slave piston is allowed to over extend it allows air into the system a pressure bleeder makes it easier but it can be done manually. if that doesn't work it could be you use the wrong ball socket the clutch is very sensitive to leverage angles but this is Dependant on whether you replaced the flywheel with a single mass

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
Yes, the car has a DMF. I only replaced the friction disc and throwout bearing. The pressure plate and flywheel were in good shape and the car only has 85,000 miles.

fourwarner

TDI
2003 Jetta
The friction disc just came apart. The flywheel and pressure plate showed no sign of overheating and the surfaces looked good.

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
Wow thats a new one to me. anyway start with the easy and simple things first bleed the slave cylinder and insure that there is no air remeber if there is air it will have risen to th highest piont in the system the master cylinder so let a lot of fluid run out the bleeder. If your going to use a pressure bleeder this would be a good time to replace the brake fluid in you car if it hasn't been done before it should be replaced every 100k or 4 years.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Be patient with this. The slave cylinder's bleed port is not the highest point on the cylinder, so entrapped air can be extremely difficult to remove. Some people will unbolt the slave and orient it so that the air can escape, but you must be very careful not to step on the clutch pedal while doing this as the piston will be easily pushed out the end of the cylinder.

Frequent Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 6m "The White Knight"
My car had a similar problem to this. I replaced all hydraulic components, and the problem still wasnt fixed.
Its all described here:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=328722&highlight=weird+speed+clutch+issue
As it turns out, the clutch shed a spring and jammed the pressure plate partially. This could be your problem, too. I ignored the clutch possibility at first because my clutch was relatively new. If the clutch disks aren't aligned perfectly on installation, it could cause problems down the road.

160KjettaTDi

TDI
2001 Jetta
fourwarner,

if you get this post before you bleed your system here is something you can do to help me with my clutch release problem.

before you bleed it open the view port on the top of the bell housing (with the engine NOT running!), have someone depress the clutch and feel the distance between the pressure plate and the top of the release lever/fork. If you can't feel the lever at all then you know the slave cylider is not pushing the lever as it should.

On my car, with the clutch pressed in, the lever is a distance about the width of my little finger from pressure plate.

If you bleed and then you notice the lever moves closer to the pressure plate well then things are going to be better.

If you do this. Please post the approximate gap measurement from the lever to presure plate after bleeding with the clutch depressed.

I am trouble shooting my car for the same problem and that info will help alot.

As I said before the only thing I did not replace was DMF and I think that will be my next move.

I will keep you posted if that fixes the problem.