clutch rattle

1.9TDI

TDI
98jetta1z
Just bought a 97 jetta- sometimes when i let the clutch out (in neutral)i get this fairly loud rattle noise-depress the clutch 1-4 times and let it out the noise goes away.this happens maybe 20% of the time-i cant feel any vibration in the peddle.The guy who i bought it off of said its been doing it for years and a mechanic told him not to worry about it-any ideas?
thanks,
andy

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
My 1990 Geo Metro LSI Did that... the mechanic said it was the tins between the engine and transmission and/or a heat sheild.

Is it a higher pitched noise, or is it deep?

1point9turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDi Black
hey, I have a 98, same flavor, and in the cold my clutch rattles like crazy in neutral and goes away when you put it down. Ive only noticed it in the cold rattleing. Ill try to pump it a few times and see if it goes away. It seems to go away when the engine gets warm or it is warm outside.

gottdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 TDI Yellow Beetle GLS
When you decide to dig into the trans for a clutch change make sure all the tin is properly installed and make sure you change that throw out bearing. Make sure you adjust the clutch properly and most of all don't ride your new clutch. You might check your fluid level to be sure it's full. Pumping sounds like you're low on fluid. How are your brakes? Do you need to pump those as well? Might have air in the clutch master cylinder. Bleed it out. That may help.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Mine does the same thing... and the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing are new. The flywheel was removed and machined too... From what I've gathered on other posts it's a fairly common issue and nothing to be overly concerned with.