Clutch R&R Question

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
TDI clutch disc didn't have any springs; the DMFW was the damper in the stock clutch.

Also, I don't think it's the clutch per se that rattles, it's the lower damping effect causing the synchros in the tranny to rattle. Supposedly this is AOK with the brass ones in the 02J, but steel synchros will fatigue and break from it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
VR6/G60 set from cascade …..but that was almost 20 years ago…….I know that they now have two types of flywheels, a lightened one and a heavier one……I just don’t remember which one causes a rattle…..

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
If we stick with Sachs clutches for SMF rigs, the Quiet clutch has the soft disc hub springs. Put the VR6 disc a bit stiffer than this, and the SRE disc as the stiffest. As far as I have been able to find, the discs are all interchangeable, though it should come as no surprise that the SRE is also the strongest.

Heaviest should rattle the least...examine the bookends, an infinitely heavy flywheel is going to have no angular acceleration as we sweep across a compression stroke and transition to power output. Excepting a resonance condition where the disc spring rate, idle speed and FW inertia combine in just the wrong way.

For homework, fire up a spreadsheet and examine crankshaft torque surrounding a revolution containing compression/power. The transition from negative acceleration on compression to positive when the injectors deliver fuel is not going to be very gentle. The SMF is a very nice lumped-mass inertia vs the mathematical gymnastics needed to determine what a DMF is doing( which is more than 'dual' as there are the pendulum masses in there moving about ).

Douglas

Last edited:

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
So, you all think the "extra" noise after the long highway drive is normal then, and not a sign of impending tranny failure? And that well-warmed up fluid from that drive is cause?

I have about a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and Pennzoil Synchromesh in there, and as I said above I overfilled it a bit. It's got about 20k miles on it. Should I go to a heavier fluid, like 100% Redline MT90? Or worry less and drive more? Tranny is still pretty damn quiet for my normal drives.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Sounds to me like this is a harmless common issue with the Sachs/Luk VR6 clutch. You could play around with different fluid if you want, but the fluid will likely affect other things also, like cold weather shifting.

I'm using the VW-recommended G 070 in mine. There's no viscosity listed, but I suspect it is thinner than 75W90. I will still try to remember to check for rattle after my next hour-plus drive and report back to you.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I get that noise wether it’s a long drive or short drive. As I stated above I’ve got over 300,xxx miles on my set up with 100k oil changes on the transmission with no appreciable metal in the drained oil. Personally I’d drive more …worry less unless the rattle bothers you….