clutch questions ??

TDI
2005 audi a4 quattro tdi pd
hello everyone, I recently bought a 2005 audi a4 quattro 1.8t 6 speed. the car had been tdi converted a few years back with a Pd engine from europe.
after i got the car home it started making an awful noise, sounds like the flywheel/clutch is comming apart.

anyone know what clutch pressure plate combinations work with this kind of build ? Id like to order some parts before i haul it apart, im wondering if the tdi dual mass flywheel might have been matched up to the 6 speed clutch and pressure plate ? or should i buy a smfw clutch kit for the 1.8 and will it fit the tdi ?

any help would be apprieciated
thanks.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Look into b4 passat tdi's that were sold here in the US. Should be the same if you are going for stock option.

I will be using a 1.8T TT clutch/plate to for my ALH, however for a PD motor I cannot confirm they have the same bolt pattern. I don't see how they could be any different.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Look into b4 passat tdi's that were sold here in the US. Should be the same if you are going for stock option.

I will be using a 1.8T TT clutch/plate to for my ALH, however for a PD motor I cannot confirm they have the same bolt pattern. I don't see how they could be any different.
The B4 passat was a transverse mounted engine, while the Audi a4 is a longitudinal, of I remember correctly. You'll probably have to disassemble and figure out what they used, unless you have the contact info for whoever built it...

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
The B4 passat was a transverse mounted engine, while the Audi a4 is a longitudinal, of I remember correctly. You'll probably have to disassemble and figure out what they used, unless you have the contact info for whoever built it...
Yeah you're right. I keep going back to the TT's transverse platform when I think of A4's. In this case the clutch and plate from a B4 will bolt right up however the spline's won't match due to the longitudinal tranny.