Clutch Problems

DieselDenny

TDI
96 Passat
Is there a way to tell whether a clutch problem is related to the clutch parts themselves or the hydraulic sytem....master and slave cyls? My clutch does not want to disengage......I changed out the slave but still no different. When bleeding the system there seemed to be a good solid stream of fluid coming from the bleeder so I'm thinking the master cyl is OK. Would bad/worn clutch parts cause the clutch to remain engaged? I was always under the impression that the clutch would begin to slip when worn out. The car has about 210,000 miles on original clutch. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
The spring in the clutch disk fails and wedges itself between the PP and the flywheel...

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually that one above had 176K on it and the material itself would have had a lot left.

DieselDenny

TDI
96 Passat
FOLLOW UP....I changed out the clutch parts and the springs were broken like the ones pictured above (jollygreengiant's post). Thanks guys.

BlindViper

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3
My clutch was done at 112k because I had the trans out. The clutch material on the new and old measured the same. But the springs were shot.

rhaus

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf MT
when your clutches went out in this way, how did the clutch pedal feel? The same? Different? I am having the same symptoms but my pedal feels completely different now, as if there is air in the lines.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
mine was ABOUT to go out, how soon, beats me. So I cannot give you info regarding change of clutch pedal feel.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
This clutch failure modes symptoms are that the clutch works perfect all the way up till you simply can't disengage it. I was able to temporarily disengage the one above but it went right back.

rhaus

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4dr Golf MT
Mine worked perfectly right up until the stopped disengaging, but now that it won't disengage, the pedal feels like there is nothing until right before the floor.

jimmybling31

Veteran Member
TDI
01white jetta
At 232k my clutch was still fine just wouldn't hold the power of the vnt 17/22. As soon as it would hit full boost it would slip just a bit. The clutch in these cars is very good