Clutch problems

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ASZ 130PD, Corrado 150PD in production
SMF and helix clutch problems with GTB2260VK

I've just fitted a GTB2260VK to my 130 ASZ, I've got a Helix SMF and clutch kit.

Before I even had a map for the 2260(just had a standard ARL 150 file on) I had a bit of a play with a mate in his Golf from a standing start, What I thought was wheelspin was actually the clutch slipping.

I had the revs at about 2200 let the clutch out and set away, the revs shot up to about 4500-5000 and stayed there all the way into 4th gear were I realised what was happening and backed off, at that point the clutch finally bit.

Question is, what should I replace? Flywheel shoud be fine, but should I change the plate and the disc or just the disc?

I need to order the parts and do the job all in one hit so I can't really take it to bits and inspect them first if you know what I mean.

Also does anyone know if the southbend clutches will mate up to my Helix flywheel?

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Personally I would replace the whole thing, although the flywheel might be OK. Might be worth speaking to Jabbasport as they also use/fit Helix clutch setups.

mrflashy

Veteran Member
TDI
Stage 2 Hybrid TDi and a couple of 24v VR6's for the noise
ditto the above, i put off the clutch for as long as i could(pd130 mind you with an aggressive jabba map)

It slipped in 3rd on full load in the end and was not driveable. I think a trip to the nurburgring didn't help it!!

I got a Sachs Organic Kit fitted by a mate, i was going to try and get away without the flywheel, but upon removal we find my flywheel was purple and the OEM clutch plate was worn to the rivets. Pretty much when it starts slipping, its damaging the flywheel.

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, On the way home from work late last night I tried pretty hard to make it slip but it just kept biting and biting!

Ciprian, do you think its possible that the 150 tune could have spooled up the 2260 to quickly and caused some sort of torque spike that made the clutch slip?

im570rm

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a6 avant 2.5 tdi quattro
ofcourse,but without logs it's impossible to tell.You could also limit the torque under 400nm under 3000 rpm that would be pretty safe for the clutch i think.

borachris

Veteran Member
TDI
im570rm said:
ofcourse,but without logs it's impossible to tell.You could also limit the torque under 400nm under 3000 rpm that would be pretty safe for the clutch i think.
Ok then thanks, i'm just going to assume that was the problem and if it happens again, i'll just have to replace it!

I had thought about asking Ruben to limit the torque lower down but then i'm not really getting the full benefit of the new hardware so if it needs a new clutch it'll just have to have one:rolleyes: