Clutch pedal clicks when pressed / released

mak618

TDI
2010 (Ret)
Hello,

I noticed that when my clutch pedal is pressed completely it clicks (when its about 90% pressed). A similar click is heard when I release the clutch again when its about 90% released.

I have not had any issues shifting gears etc.. and the sound may have been present earlier. However this is the first time I noticed it. The car has approximately 33K miles on it and is a 2010 Jetta TDI.

Is this something that I should be worried about and get it checked?

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
That would be the sound of the clutch switch. It disengages your cruise control when you press in the clutch (and probably other things as well). I can occasionally hear mine as well. Perfectly normal. Also pretty easy to change when it eventually goes bad.

N41EF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf, 2009 ML 320, 2006 NB, 2001 NB
Actually there are two functions. One switch lets you start the car with the clutch pedal pressed, and one as above kicks off the cruise. I can hear mine with the engine off in the garage. Usualy while driving I can't hear them.

I believe you can see the switchs function with VCDS.

It's notmal.

My Boxster had a very noticible metalic CLICK that you could hear when driving.

dp549

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Hmmm I wonder if this is what i'm experiencing. For me, when I'm shifting gears and engaging the clutch (letting it up after shifting) I feel a slight "tick" with about an inch to go so probably that 90% point mentioned above. It just started becoming noticeable at 85,000 miles. I feel it through the pedal and it's annoying. I wonder if it's a switch and if there is any place I can give it a shot of some type of lube so that it's smooth and unnoticeable again. Oh well, I appreciate any ideas!

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
That is what it is. I'm having the same thing at about 60k miles. Because I know that it is the clutch switch it doesn't bother me too much. I do think that trying to lube it is a good idea, but (at least in the mkiv) they are not expensive nor hard to replace. I may have a closer look in 3k miles.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Hmmm I wonder if this is what i'm experiencing. For me, when I'm shifting gears and engaging the clutch (letting it up after shifting) I feel a slight "tick" with about an inch to go so probably that 90% point mentioned above. It just started becoming noticeable at 85,000 miles. I feel it through the pedal and it's annoying. I wonder if it's a switch and if there is any place I can give it a shot of some type of lube so that it's smooth and unnoticeable again. Oh well, I appreciate any ideas!
It is actually NOT the clutch switch. My 2010 JSW TDI developed this too after about 60k miles. To me it felt like part of the pedal spring mechanism is loose and moves around slightly when pressing or releasing the pedal. It sort of felt like it was popping in and out of place where it normally goes. I also found the tick and feel of the tick would come and go. It was never a problem, just a minor annoyance. I sold the car at 102k miles (to TDIclub GURU mrchill) 6 months ago, so I don't have the car anymore to check it out further.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
There is no "clutch switch". I went through this with my A5. Mounted on the side of the clutch master cylinder is a solid state proximity sensors that senses clutch petal position. There is zero possibility that any sort of switch is causing the perceived problem.

User n1das may have on understanding of the problem...........

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
FWIW, my last three manuals (Probe, Elantra GT, Golf) have had the click. Sometimes noticeable, sometimes not.

Elantra clutch went at 130k miles. Probe master/slave went around 100k.

timhawkinson

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I experience this intermittent clicking sound and feel it in the pedal as well. I have a certified pre owned 2010 sportwagen and took it to the dealer. Their response was that the clutch operation "meets VW specifications" so they didn't do anything.

I'll see if I can find that plastic piece mentioned in the previous link. I might also give one of the good VW shops here in MN a call.

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
Are you sure you aren't hearing the release bearing? I am at 120k, with about 30k or so on a stage 2 tune and my release bearing is just starting to make noise in neutral and you can ever so slightly feel it when you depress pedal. Once the tranny is warm, it doesn't make as much noise, but you can still hear it when you release the pedal. The bearing noise goes away after you pass the free play in the pedal and begin to depress it.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf MK6 1.6 TDI Bluemotion Match
Hello,
I noticed that when my clutch pedal is pressed completely it clicks (when its about 90% pressed). A similar click is heard when I release the clutch again when its about 90% released.
I have not had any issues shifting gears etc.. and the sound may have been present earlier. However this is the first time I noticed it. The car has approximately 33K miles on it and is a 2010 Jetta TDI.
Is this something that I should be worried about and get it checked?
Hi,

Did you find the reason why your pedal is doing this. Mine does exactly the same thing (Golf MK6 2010 1.6 TDI) and its definitely from the pedal area and not engine bay. Does it in neutral or any gear and its getting quite irritating. Took it to the dealer and they said its operating fine (which I knew) and its a loud switch noise. Doing some research, I found that its a proximity switch anyway so have discounted what they said. Going to try white lithium grease next but it seems to be rather common so hoping somebody would know what's a definite fix. Thanks.

Last edited:

palmseed

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I had a clicky clutch too on my VW. A part fell off somewhere and tore out my clutch plate. Don't worry though, it was a 1969 bug so I am sure you have some other reason for it.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a clicky clutch too on my VW. A part fell off somewhere and tore out my clutch plate. Don't worry though, it was a 1969 bug so I am sure you have some other reason for it.
I hope so ha ha

I am thinking it may be the white plastic clip on the end of the rod. If only I could see it...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Are you sure you aren't hearing the release bearing? I am at 120k, with about 30k or so on a stage 2 tune and my release bearing is just starting to make noise in neutral and you can ever so slightly feel it when you depress pedal. Once the tranny is warm, it doesn't make as much noise, but you can still hear it when you release the pedal. The bearing noise goes away after you pass the free play in the pedal and begin to depress it.
The click people and myself have reported can be heard and felt in the pedal with the engine OFF. In my JSW, the click feeling and hearing it would be well past the free play portion of pedal travel when it occurs.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am of the same belief as the poster above in my case also. No unusual noise in the engine bay on clutch press and release. Definitely the pedal. The more I look into it, I am now leaning to the white clip on the master cylinder rod or over-centre spring. Got it booked into VW tomorrow for a check, without taking the pedal apart. If they find anything I will update...

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
As an update I sprayed lithium grease on the pedal assembly. It stopped the click temporarily. The dealer suggested they strip it down but the charge was too high for what is essentially a click. I think it's the overspring and will just spray some more grease down there if it becomes an irritation again...

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
yeah, over center spring is the likely culprit, pretty sure Ive seen em on id parts, if you have some basic tools and a sense of adventure take the pedal apart and look for loose /worn parts and such.

Oops didn't realize you were on the right side of the pond, part should still be available.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, over center spring is the likely culprit, pretty sure Ive seen em on id parts, if you have some basic tools and a sense of adventure take the pedal apart and look for loose /worn parts and such.

Oops didn't realize you were on the right side of the pond, part should still be available.

Ah no probs. I could take it apart but I think I will create more problems for myself. Does taking the pedal assembly apart require bleeding the master cylinder ? I am hoping it's just a click and that's it, just don't want it snapping on me!

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Bleeding should not be required unless you disconnect a hydraulic line, or replace the master or slave cylinder. Just remove the pivot bolt and the pedal will come out, you should be able to inspect the over center spring assembly (lives directly behind the pivot bolt, and as best as I can tell is held in by the pedal) and the socket that pushes on the rod from your master cylinder.

Assuming you can see the pivot it should be a one bolt 10 minute inspection. Id remove any broken bits grease her up nice and see if that helps.

lotownvw

TDI
Friday13 hockey mask
This drives me nuts, mine does it too. I need to take it to the dealer before my warranty is up.

its deff the clutch pedal spring mechanism

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Bleeding should not be required unless you disconnect a hydraulic line, or replace the master or slave cylinder. Just remove the pivot bolt and the pedal will come out, you should be able to inspect the over center spring assembly (lives directly behind the pivot bolt, and as best as I can tell is held in by the pedal) and the socket that pushes on the rod from your master cylinder.

Assuming you can see the pivot it should be a one bolt 10 minute inspection. Id remove any broken bits grease her up nice and see if that helps.

Thanks for this. I think it will be quite difficult to get the spring off without removing a few things first on my car. Looks like I need to take off some air conditioning ducting to get to any nut! Going to try another grease, last time it stopped it for a month, perhaps I just need to find the right spray grease to stop it longer :). Will contemplate taking the pedal apart as a last priority as will probably break something else if I attempt it... Thanks.

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I sprayed a load of grease on the overspring, didn't make any difference...still clicked when pedal depressed. So then I sprayed a load towards where the master cylinder pushrod clip meets the pedal. Clicking only happening right at top of travel now which is a lot more bearable. Upon closer inspection, I see the clip is moving a little in its recess in the pedal. The grease is probably allowing it to move more freely. I also found a link regarding the same problem and a fix HERE. Can anyone get a hold of TPI 2018689/14 as a PDF document. I asked my VW dealer but they couldn't locate it for my vehicle...

Is there a way of removing and investigating the clip without removing the pedal I wonder? I can see that I'd be able to possibly free it from the pedal recess but it's whether the pedal will move much more towards me and whether the push rod can be forced into the master cylinder with hand force? Then I'd be able to stick some felt in there or something to suppress the noise. If it turns into a big job, then not worth bothering with as it is...

Thanks.

Last edited:

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OK the click noise is becoming more pronounced now since I sprayed the grease a few weeks ago. Thinking of replacing the clip, but would need to remove the clutch pedal first.

Has anyone removed the clutch pedal, if so would appreciate a guide and whether it's difficult to do?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtpease

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Hi guys,

I was suffering from this same issue with my 2010 Jetta TDI. After reading this thread, I decided to take it in for service. It's a certified pre owned, and came with a warranty. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the entire pedal assembly since they couldn't identify where the click was coming from.

Hopefully other dealers are as kind.

Thanks!

ukguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I took the pedal off myself in the end, put some felt on the clip, fitted it back in, noise gone. It was simply a tolerance fit issue that manifested itself with a very annoying noise. The scary thing was taking all the bits off to get to the pedal bolt but I tried it in the end and it wasn't so bad after all. Now on to the next thing to mess with :)