Clutch pedal becoming a bit loose at 45k

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
NB TDI 2002. Just recently the clutch pedal feels soft and looser than before. Car has 45 k miles. Could it be:

1) Brake fluid bleeding is due (it is 2 yrs, 25k, after the last one)
2) The wife has been driving the car every day for the past 6-7 months, and she tends to keep the clutch pedal down all the time with the stick in 1st gear when waiting in trafic.

If it's 1 or 2 then it's something I already know about. She's recently noticed it being a bit loose too and is trying her best to remember to take it out of gear when not moving.

So again, could it be because of (1) or (2)?

If not, could it be normal wear? of what?

Thanks1:)

tdi_dave_FL

TDI
Jetta GLS IV (2004 TDI-PD)
Hey,

I noticed mine doing the same thing at around 45K (mi). Also when the clutch is cool it will slip about 300rpm in 4th or 5th gear when the accelerator is fully depressed. I have a 2004 100hp PD, I imagine that the great increase in torque between the 2003 and 2004 models has something to do with this. I also drive like a bat out of hell, and the car has just about 55k on it now. I figure that I'll drive it until the clutch finally fails and get one of my mechanic friends to do the job for me at that point, with a much stronger clutch to boot.
Anyone else had similar problems??

Is there a simple adjustment that myself and Dorado are missing??

Thanks