Clutch options for BHW. 2005 passat tdi

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
I contacted Matt Whitbread and thought I had a clutch on the way, but it looks like that went to **** for whatever reason. I don't blame him, just the way it worked out I guess.

Anyway, I've been waiting over a month for a clutch and flywheel now, and I want to actually get one one the way, and get this gd conversion done!

I have a 1.5 Malone tune ±160 hp. So it needs to be a performance clutch kit.

Any suggestions?

Andrew

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Call Jon at Southbend, I have been using his Stage 2 endurance for my Malone stage 2 5 speed swap B5.5 builds and they hold very well. I had him reline the TDI spec clutch Frans sent with my swap kits, but I think he can reline a 1.8t B5.5 single mass kit for you with stage 2 endurance, which would be the cheapest route.

Contact Southbend at (574) 256-5064 ask for Jon

Some folks have had good luck with just the euro tdi B5 clutch but mine slipped under power in 5th after 13k miles.

I know he doesn't stock any B5.5 clutch kits like he does Powerstroke/Cummins/Duramax kits.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I spoke with Jon this morning. They are the one's who were supposed to make it in the first place. They said it shipped last Thursday (a week ago), but now no one knows where it is, or when it might actually appear. It's all very frustrating and if there are other options, I'm very interested in them at this point. Maybe they'll still be able to come through, but my confidence in them is not high after this experience.

I'd consider anything in Europe as well.

Andrew

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Darkside Sachs sre clutch on the factory DMF. It's what I have.

Not cheap, but I am very happy with it.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my clutch kit at 4:30 yesterday. It had got lost and no one knew when it would get here, but it turned out ok. Hopefully by Monday I'll have a report on how it works! Glad to finally have it in my possession!

Thanks for the suggestions--

Andrew

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
I'm sorry for the hassle Andrew, when dealing with outside vendors that are beyond my direct control (SBC and UPS in this case), crap occasionally happens and we're stuck in the middle :mad:. I'm just happy to hear it finally made it to you!

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
No worries, now ;). Like I said, I know these things happen and I don't blame you at all. There was just no picture of when/if it might get to me so I was searching for a viable option in case it was another 2 weeks out.

Here's to a happy ending all around!

Andrew