Clutch on 11 Golf

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
So far I'm pretty happey with the entire package with the exception of the clutch. I"m getting the feeling the clutch isn't going to last but maybe 100K before the springs in the pressure plate are so weak that it'll be chattering. Before everyone starts asking, I've been rowing gears all my life, from my 70 Olds with a 455 and a muncie M22, my Harley and last stick was a 96 Passat. I sold the 96 with over 270K with the original clutch and it was still decent even at that kind of miles. The clutch seems kinda sprung light, meaning the springs in the pressure plate are week for the torque of the diesel,. anyone else get that vibe?

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
The clutch pedal has a really long throw. The mechanical advantage could be huge, hence the light pedal. Personally it feels as if the stock clutch has plenty of torque holding. Also, pressure plate designs keep improving. I put a Stage 2 Clutch Masters in my MINI track car and while the pedal effort was marginally more than stock, it held over double the torque while reducing the engagement zone [aka a shorter pedal].

IIRC, ToeBall is running quite a bit of torque with his stock clutch with no problems, and Malone Tuning says the clutch is good for ~300Lb/Ft, well over stock engine torque.

At this point there doesn't seem to be a need to worry. I for one would love to see someone push the envelope and see what the torque limit actually is for the stock clutch.

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
You are correct for the long travel, I"m actually thinking of installing pedal pads and shimming the clutch pedal about 1/2 inch under the pad to help. I find when I"m comfy with my reach with gas and brake as well as leg room I"m stretching a little to push the clutch in to when it's fully dis-enguaged. Maybe I"m just imagining things with the weak pressure plate :confused: