Clutch - Master or Slave cylinder?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
(2003 Jetta) - Stuck in construction traffic, inching along, and... the clutch "catch" point is getting lower and lower... Eventually we get to actually driving with the clutch pedal up (had to push it up!!!!), and after that - normal city traffic, red lights, etc. everything's fine... (I know that cars don't usually fix themselves...)

Should I be thinking the Master cylinder's getting old, or could it be the slave?

Y.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
If the slave fails, it will leak (on that car into the bellhousing). If a master fails, it can either leak inside the car OR leak "internally" and just be bypassing the seals.

I rarely ever see clutch hydraulics fail on the 02J cars. But look around for any leaks. If you do not find any I would suspect the master. You may try a thorough flush of the system with fresh fluid (this often gets neglected, even when the brake system doesn't), and see if some dark nasty gritty fluid comes out. You may have just gotten something wedged in the master's seals and it pushed its way out. You said it was working fine later on.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Bleed the fluid.
If it's not fixing it, rebuild slave, it's just a few o'rings
Chances are it's just bad fluid.
Sounds like it

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Bleed the fluid.
If it's not fixing it, rebuild slave, it's just a few o'rings
Chances are it's just bad fluid.
Sounds like it
This is the start, of course after you ensure there's nothing dripping from the bottom of the transmission that's coming from within, and there's fluid in the brake reservoir.

Air and bad fluid have many effects.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What's probably actually happening is that its boiling
The engine bay is hot. Fluid that has just 5% moisture is literally half the boiling point. I had the exact same issue with my brakes and clutch when I got my mk3.
The fact that it gets better when cooled down, yes, flush the entire system including the brakes! It's all one system.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks... I'll try later this week...

(edit) this is our "extra" car... I hadn't changed the brake fluid since we got it... any hints as to how to prevent the bleeder valves on the calipers from breaking off? (I had to resort to using a long "monkey" wrench when I changed the tie rod end - not so much for the tie rod end, but for the jam nut...

Y.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just got to look at the car... fluid leak at the junction where the hose goes into the fitting that clips into the slave cylinder... Someone else posted the attached photo that has the same leak... If I were to replace the line, how does one access the other end of the hose? From the quick look I took, it appears that I may have to remove the ABS pump... that can't be correct...
[/FONT]

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Remove line
Clean up both sides
Replace orings
Install
Unless the like is actually broken, it should be fine.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless the like is actually broken, it should be fine.
You think it's just leaking from the "O" ring? (I doubt the local dealer keeps them in stock...) It seems to he leaking from where the steel (?) hose goes into fitting that contains the "O" ring... I'll have a closer look, but other people have had it leak there...

Y

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ebay or amazon
Box of assorted sizes of orings for 10 bucks

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow-up - the leak was not from the "O" ring... it was from the actual hose assembly - where the hard line enters the "plug" that actually fits inside the slave cylinder. That's now fixed (with J.B.Weld) and there are no more leaks.

However: after bleeding it the first time, the following morning had the clutch unable to be released, so I bled it again... this time, the "catch" point was nice and high... the following morning, it was closer to the floor, so... I bled it again... now it _seems_ to be OK - although there's a sneaky feeling that it's a tiny bit lower first thing in the morning, and after pumping it once or twice, it's back to the mid-higher "normal" setting...

Is this "feeling" just in my mind or could it be something in either the slave or master? I realize that it will probably clarify after a few days or weeks of driving...

Y.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Contrary to one of the posts above, out of the five 02Js I've done transmission work on, I've had the clutch master cylinder go bad on two of them. Both times, there was no sign of leakage, but rather, the master wouldn't draw in new fluid and therefore couldn't be bled.

As for ymz's situation, keep in mind what kind of psi a typical hydraulic system is pushing around; JBWeld might be good enough to limp you home, but I certainly wouldn't trust it to hold long-term.

Removing the clutch line at the firewall is something of an adventure: getting to the retaining spring clip...OMG - what a PITA; you pretty much have to work blind and by feel in an area where you can just barely reach with screwdriver because of all the other things in the way.
Also, I wouldn't trust an o-ring that "looks about right" - as crazy as the price is from dealer, I'd get the OEM replacement; this is one of the last things you want to have to do a second time.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You know there is this thing called a caliper, it measures things like orings. You can make them yourself as well.