Clutch Judder K7003801

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I've always experienced a significant clutch engagement judder with my TDI - both with the original clutch and after a by-the-book replacement with the stock Sachs "Quiet" K7003801 clutch. Brand new stock Sachs flywheel. Flywheel and pressure plate torqued to spec evenly. I have stock hydraulic mounts, save for the front mount which is the BFI stealth poly mount. All mounts are in good condition and installed correctly. But, the entire car vibrates when the clutch is slipping. I've just figured this is a characteristic of the mk3 platform and diesel engine. Maybe I'm not revving it up enough when clutching into 1st?

The judder is much less obvious when the engine is warmed up. I'm just curious if this is just a TDI thing... I haven't driven a gas clutch that judders as much as the TDI clutch.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Maybe it’s the poly mount? I don’t experience this on my cars.

-Todd

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Maybe it’s the poly mount? I don’t experience this on my cars.

-Todd
Are you stock fuel and tuning? I am Malone Stage 2 with the DCL 1019s... so maybe it could be my slightly more aggressive tune. My guess is the IQ is a bit different on the cold start and that could be causing some of the roughness. Mount could definitely be part of it as well.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Two cars are stuck. One car has a Kerma tune with DLC1019.

-Todd

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Did you replace or resurface the flywheel? A improperly bedded in or flywheel with hot spots will do this.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Did you replace or resurface the flywheel? A improperly bedded in or flywheel with hot spots will do this.
Whelp, sounds like I probably messed up my new flywheel. Not sure how I’d drive it differently since I am not someone who rides the clutch.

I’ll try a stock front mount and see if it helps any.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Whelp, sounds like I probably messed up my new flywheel. Not sure how I’d drive it differently since I am not someone who rides the clutch.

I’ll try a stock front mount and see if it helps any.
I wouldn't write off the flywheel yet...

Steve

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Take a look at the BFI mount. I'm assuming you used the replacment bolt that came with the kit?
I did. They sent the wrong one or something but the bolt was a little bit longer than it should have been. It caused a lot of shaking like you described.
Worth checking out.

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I don't think this is a part of the MK3 platform. Mine doesn't do that.

h.ubk

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
I got the OEM front mount and threw it on. Definitley a more isolated ride than the BFI front mount. With OEM mounts all around, the slight judder during clutch slip is certainly still there but the car is generally more tamed, so I like that. Not sure how long these mounts will hold up under Stage 2 driving, though. At this point I've pretty much given up on having that "transparent" gas-like clutch action.

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
The clutch judder is bad. So bad that I’m embarrassed to drive my girlfriend around in it. I’m going to guess that there are two things going on here:

- Runout or hotspots on the flywheel
- crank walk due to bad thrust bearings (I really hope not)

The exact same judder problem manifesting with two stock style clutches is a worrisome prospect. Either I suck at breaking in the clutch or there is something else engine-related going on. I am going to tear it apart this weekend and try again with a LuK A4-style DMF. I’ve always been a bit perturbed by the harshness of the AHU and I’m hoping the DMF A) survives my power upgrades and B) doesn’t suffer the same hotspot fate that the Sachs Quiet Clutch did. And hopefully drive a bit more smoothly.

Marc Bourget

TDI
2003 Jetta
Not mentioned but I'm assuming you're practicing a "dead throttle start"

Leave foot off throttle and careful with letting out the clutch. Minimizes if not eliminates the shudder. If I try to drive it like a gas engine, shudder gets worse.