Clutch issues on Golf MK6 TDI

GeraltVW

TDI
Golf MK6 1.6TDI 70kW
Hi all,

This is my first post here, I came across this forum upon searching some intel on my issue!
I'm not a mechanic, so pardon my non-technical explanations.

So I have a Golf MK6 1.6TDI and recently I lost total control over the clutch.
When I press the clutch pedal, it sticks to the back and I can only pull it back by force.
When the engine is on, I cannot change the gears with the gear stick despite putting considerable force.
When the engine is off, the gear stick can be moved easily.

In the engine compartment, I see a little puddle of clear oil under the slave cylinder. ( see here, I couldn't get the link clickable)
My neighbor, who's a car mechanic, came around and saw this puddle first, suggesting that the cylinder is broken.
We tried "pumping" with the clutch pedal but to no avail, it did not "build pressure".
There is no fluid coming out of the master cylinder I think, as the clutch pedal is completely dry.

Me and my dad towed the car to the garage for fixup, as my neighbor said it shouldn't be too expensive.
Now they made a quote to fix the issues:
-master cylinder + installation ~490 euro / 575 USD
-slave cylinder + installation ~300 euro / 350 USD

On top of that, they suggested to replace the whole gear box as it's an old car (10 years) and they said it is close to failing.
I have no idea how they found that out, as the car hasn't been moved from the place where I left it at their garage (so my guess is the mechanic went to check the car quickly, booted the engine and then decided it's dying or whatever).
They wanna charge 1750 euro / 2050 USD for that one....

On top of that I should slowly replace the timing belts, another 1000 euro / 1170 USD, as the car reached 225.000 km by now. (should have been done at 210.000 km but I was to busy (un)fortunately).

In any case, do you guys have any insight whether the issue could be solely the slave cylinder (as the oil puddle is below that one), or the combination of both cylinders?
Is their price for the cylinders reasonable? Cause I looked at some aftermarket cylinders and they are about 30-40 euro a piece ... I found some nice tutorials on youtube and it seemed doable.

Changing the gear box is beyond a question a big NO, I'd rather fix the cylinders (or attempt myself) and then drive until the car breaks down fully.
My guess is the garage just trying to make an easy buck....
The price for a second-hand Golf of similar mileage is about 4000-4500 euros here.

And about the timing belt, any clue how long it might still last?
If the car is actually on its last legs... Is it worth replacing it or might the gearbox die before that one anyway... (assuming that the garage is not bluffing....)

I'm happy to hear any thoughts, help, or experience!

Thanks!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
It is probably just the slave, and yes, been the clutch hydraulic if there is a leak or a bad master or slave then you can't disengage the clutch and won't be able to move the gears with the car running.

If the master cyl was bad, the you would have no brakes. Both systems (brake and clutch) run using brake fluid from the same reservoir. As you already saw a puddle of brake fluid by the gearbox, most likely there's no point on trying to bleed the slave (like you bleed air out of brake calipers).

Most importantly, get that timing belt changed, as you are already rolling the dice with that, and if it breaks you will be looking at thousands worth of repairs (head at the bare minimum).

Gearbox is likely fine, perhaps it needs a new clutch but you would notice that if there was slippage or rattling sound (dual mass flywheel failing).

GeraltVW

TDI
Golf MK6 1.6TDI 70kW
@pedroYUL Thanks a lot for the insight!
I have picked up the car and replaced the slave cylinder, to no avail yet, unfortunately.
However, I haven't been able to bleed properly as I didn't have a easybleed-like system. (Got it today.)
I'll do it asap, and then move on to the master cylinder if the problem persists!

If it fixes the issue, then I'll get the timing belt changed!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Yes, bleed clutch and brakes, as it is one system, making sure the reservoir never runs dry.

GeraltVW

TDI
Golf MK6 1.6TDI 70kW
@pedroYUL Sorry for the late reply, I replaced the master cylinder and it fixed the issue!
So thanks for the advice! Now to change the timing belt and hope for another 210k!