Clutch Issue

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A6 Avant BHW 6 speed manual, 2003 Golf ALH 506k miles
I just installed a new G60/VR6 clutch an SMF in a 2006 Jetta. I bled all the air out of the hydraulic system with MYTVAC and the usual pumping and bleeding. The problem is that the clutch doesn't disengage when I push it in. There is some pedal resistance but it seems a little light. There is no fluid leaking from the master or slave cylinder. I can put a short rod against the clutch release lever and it does move but I'm not able to move it far enough this way to get it to release either. Should I replace the master, slave, both or would you suspect something else?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm thinking it could be a bent clutch release lever. I have done a few transmissions in the past, but not seen one of these yet. The old clutch wasn't working perfect before I replaced it with this flywheel and clutch although when I removed the transmission one of the spring fingers was missing from the old pressure plate. There was no trace of it in the bell housing, so I assume the previous owner must have heard some awful sounds before the spring was ground to dust.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the clutch release lever. It was slightly bent where the throw out bearing attaches, maybe about 1/8 inch. Re installed the tranny and still the clutch will not fully disengage. When I push clutch to the floor, the slave pushes out firmly and will not push back in but there may be a small amount of fluid that leaks under rubber. So I bought a new slave cylinder and that didn't work any better. When I push the pedal in the clutch slips and I can hold the car still with the brakes, but if the release lever would push in another 1/4 inch the clutch woud be free. There are no bulges in the slave cylinder hose, and no fluid leaking around the master cylinder, and it seems to hold pressure, so what am I missing?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone else had trouble with the G60 VR6 Clutch and Flywheel in a 2006 Jetta with BRM engine and 5 Speed manual?

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Did you ck the pivot ball. There is some nylon that cracks and or wears down and falls off. Also, I would only replace the lever, not straighten. How worn was the "diaphragm " tangs of the pressure plate? Did you use a new TO bearing? It can have a groove in it which creates slack in the system.
All of these items can cause "slack" and effectively reduce the disengagement action

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Has your VR6 clutch ever worked in this application in your brm 5sp?
If not it could be a dimensional issue. In untuned cars, I use the Luk 17050 from Rock Auto for like 170.00...

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, New lever, new ball and clip, new throw out bearing, new slave cylinder. I tested the master today by puttine the slave in a "C" clamp an pushing the clutch pedal until the slave blew. Sure I need a new slave now but it's easier than replacing the master.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
It never has worked. The old Sachs withe the DMF did work (disk was well worn though), but when I had the transmission out today I compared the total width of the two units and they were identical.

billnlana

TDI
2006 5spd. sedan
It never has worked. The old Sachs withe the DMF did work (disk was well worn though), but when I had the transmission out today I compared the total width of the two units and they were identical.
I have a 2006 jetta that I put a VR6 flywheel pressure plate disc and throw out bearing in it years ago. About 100,000 miles on it now. Went in with no problem and has worked fine. Never have replaced slave cylinder. It will work.

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2006 jetta that I put a VR6 flywheel pressure plate disc and throw out bearing in it years ago. About 100,000 miles on it now. Went in with no problem and has worked fine. Never have replaced slave cylinder. It will work.
Is yours a wagon or sedan?

TPW

Veteran Member
TDI
Well it turns out that the G60 VR6 SMF kit from Sachs will not work with my car. I replaced it with the Valeo SMF kit and that worked perfectly. It seems that the stack on the Sachs kit sits a few mm closer to the engine block that the Valeo. This small difference keeps the slave from pushing the throw out bearing in far enough to disengage the clutch. When I did a manual conversion on a 2001 Audi A6 with a 4.2, the instructions had me place a 2mm spacer between the flywheel and the crank. That may have helped my situation with the BRM. The vendor will let me return the Sachs for full refund, but in the meantime I picked up a MK4 Golf (ALH) with 500K that has never had the clutch replaced, so if I can use the Sachs kit on it the vendor will give me a nice rebate.