Clutch install, what tune for break in period?

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I am finally going to be putting in a new DC stage 2 clutch this week. I have been reading up on the install and it does not seem that bad. I have done one before, but it was 15 years ago on an S-10 pick-up. Anyway, I have three tunes to choose while breaking in the clutch, stock, Malone 1.5, and Malone 3. Which would be best? I have been running the 1.5 as my clutch would not hold the 3.

Also, I am going to be changing the timing belt at the same time. It shouldn't matter which one I do first should it? The new flywheel has timing marks on it so that will not be an issue. Could I drop the trans, then do the timing belt? I would be able to move the engine around easier, maybe even push it back a little to make my life easier, but I am not sure if I should or not. I have changed three belts in the past, but it has been about 4 years since my last one. My memory is not all that clear on whether it would be easier or not.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Don't romp on it for the first 500 miles or so, tune should make no difference at all. It's all in the right foot.

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Do the timing belt and the clutch as two separate jobs. Go easy on the new clutch for a tank of fuel or so.

With the proper timing belt tools, there is no need to look at the flywheel for timing marks.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I agree with TB and clutch being separate. Then again, if you have a bullet proof engine hoist, I suppose you could grab the block at both ends as opposed to just one end at a time and do both jobs at the same time.

Do it and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

PH