Clutch fried, car dead

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
So last week my 2000.5 Jetta tdi expired in my driveway. The clutch started acting strange and I limped home in 2nd gear, pulled into the driveway and shut her down. Stepped on the clutch again to put it in Neutral and the clutch did not spring back. I pulled the clutch up by hand and it now springs back. The car will not start, turns over once. I think that it is "locked" in gear and I cannot put the car into neutral. Car is just under 340,000km's. It's done. Going to strip what I can off the car (tires, rims, battery, fuses, etc.) call a wrecker and have them come a tow it to it's grave (cue Neil's "Long May You Run").

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Have it looked at by one of the closer TDI shops listed in the Ontario Mechanics thread, if all it needs is a new clutch, get one and drive it for another 300,000km

MrVermin

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Have it looked at by one of the closer TDI shops listed in the Ontario Mechanics thread, if all it needs is a new clutch, get one and drive it for another 300,000km
Par for the course response from this forum. the cars 15 y / o, rust, and all the other issues that come with owning a tdi.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You'll get more selling it complete $500.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Par for the course response from this forum. the cars 15 y / o, rust, and all the other issues that come with owning a tdi.
Very sorry for taking the time to answer your thread, if you did not want anyone to talk to you about the blown clutch, why did you post it in the first place.

Live and learn, have a nice day
MrVermin

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I think you're looking at this the wrong way... It could be something simple that won't cost much and the car could keep going. Basically what I'm saying is don't throw in the towel if you don't know what's wrong with the car and how much it would cost to fix.

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Very sorry for taking the time to answer your thread, if you did not want anyone to talk to you about the blown clutch, why did you post it in the first place.
Live and learn, have a nice day
My apologies if you took offence, and for my tardy reply. Just under the gun in regards to my vehicle issues and where to proceed from here.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Get a G60/VR6 clutch kit and go at it.. A half a day under the car and I'm guessing it will be back up and running. A lot cheaper then your other options I'm sure.

e300d

Veteran Member
TDI
2xBEW wagon 1xALH wagon..both gone...no more diesel for now..have few Mercedes CDIs in family..but now its a Miata and Suburban for me lol...miss the TDI game
Get a G60/VR6 clutch kit and go at it.. A half a day under the car and I'm guessing it will be back up and running. A lot cheaper then your other options I'm sure.
i picked up a 2001 Jetta tdi over the winter and it was the same exact thing..Engine did not run...clutch was fried..all it took is new clutch kit and cluth fork and you are good to go.

https://www.rockauto.com/
LUK 17050 Disc

CAD$229.34

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Guys, he just wants a newer car. A 15 year old MKIV is getting long on the tooth so I don't blame him for wanting something newer and better. At some point you need to decide if you will spend the money on a good quality paint job or not. Most of the MKIV TDIs I see are pretty beat up looking.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Guys, he just wants a newer car. A 15 year old MKIV is getting long on the tooth so I don't blame him for wanting something newer and better. At some point you need to decide if you will spend the money on a good quality paint job or not. Most of the MKIV TDIs I see are pretty beat up looking.
We were in the same boat. Just waiting for the next think on MKIV. It's always a balance between costs and expected life.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I resurrected a dying Mk4 last fall for my wife. Newer cars are getting so cheap, I wonder why I bothered. It's still a rusty car with a worn interior. At least it drives nice now! I spent more fixing it in parts that I could sell for now.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
My '01 still keeps going, but it's definitely getting long in the tooth. Just strange things popping up that don't affect the driveability of the car, just annoyances. As long as repairs are reasonable, I'll try my best to keep her going, but come any major repairs needed and I'll definitely be looking at something newer. I feel the pain, but sometimes, you just have to know when to walk away. I have a job which requires long hours and have two kids at home. I have the mechanical skills to keep the car going, but not the time. As Mark stated, it's a balance between costs/life expectancy/time needed to fix or keep going.

Hopefully you come to a quick decision on the matter if the car is an absolute requirement. I'm fortunate to have a means of public transit to help me on my way, so an inconvenience if the car goes boom, but not the end of the world.