Clutch Failure, Need new one

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
Had the clutch fail on my 2005 Wagon. Pedal drops to floor with almost no resistance. Dropped the transmission and found a crack in the pressure plate.

I cant find just the pressure plate to fix the problem. Hate to replace the whole clutch since the rest of it looks fine.

It is a Valeo single mass clutch. I can get a kit with clutch and pressure plate or go all out and put in a SACHS G60/VR6 kit. The wagon is a BEW with VNT-17 and Malone stage 2 with a 3" exhaust. Up till now the clutch has done a great job with no noticeable slippage. Some advice would be nice or if someone has a replacement Valeo pressure plate they would be willing to sell.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I hate the work involved in clutch repairs. I'd not leave the job without replacing bits; t-o bearing, confirm fork condition, and replace pivot ball...and drop the $$ on a new disc and pressure plate. The PP only options are so far as I have found, all uprated ones and therefore more $$ than the VR6 PP and disc. Could be I have not looked well enough...LOL

Douglas

DuraBioPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW Jetta (5spd)
How many miles are on the setup? Its alot of work just for one part to replace. Might just replace it all with G60/VR6 setup. I have the same turbo/tune setup and it works great.

Call ID parts or one of the other vendors and see if they have just the pressure plate.

boisebiker

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 428k, 1997 Passat 230k
I totally agree on the "too much work for 1 part" philosophy. But I have a shop and a lift so it is a little less pain. Both of my boys have recently moved out so I spend a lot of time in the shop alone. Since I do my own work I am not against just replacing the 1 part as long as everything else checks out. From what I can see all of the other parts are good to go and this was just a premature failure of the pressure plate. Is the Sachs better enough to warrant the upgrade?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I would change the fork, pivot ball, and the all the clutch parts.
The fork and pivot ball wear together.
If it wears it gets changed.
Just my way of doing things.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I too would replace all the bits inside.
But be warned-Pedal dropping to floor is not necessarily the cluch, often it's the hydraulics.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Yep - while the transmission is out of there, I'd check that the master cylinder is still functioning properly; much easier to replace with the transmission out of the way than having to muck around with that hydraulic line with the tranny installed.