clutch clicking noise

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
on my 2003, when I depress the clutch to start the car, I just started hearing a rapid clicking noise when the clutch is fully depressed. If I back off a little, no clicking.

Clutch and flywheel was replaced at 389K... 450K on it now. Otherwise, original transmission.

Any ideas?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Check the brake fluid reservoir?
Clutch m/c uses that. You might have a leaking m/c, too.

annieneff

Veteran Member
TDI
1983.5 Westfalia tdi (afn), with flipped 5 speed V6 (dvz) transmission
The clicking is from the throw out bearing against the "teeth" of the clutch plate, no? Means the TO bearing is suspect. Sometimes the fork that pushes it wears out and needs to be replaced (especially with a bazillion miles on it).

I'd suspect the TO bearing more than anything.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
all the above are valid answers... let me add a possibilty... if the lower pivot fails and pushes through the fork it changes the angle relationship between the fork and pressure plate... this can cause the section of fork north of the release bearing to ride very close to the pressure plate rivets, sometimes hitting them on full clutch depression

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
thanks for the help, everyone. I'll check the master cylinder tomorrow. Afraid the other possibilities are a little out of my ability... so if it's not the brake fluid, off to the shop it goes. :-(