Clutch change procedure G60 and DMF flywheels

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You can only hold that transmission so long.
Yup, that's exactly the concern I have. Been in many situations in which I was exerting a lot of energy for too long. It's at this point where things can go really bad. In order to keep from dropping something you end up twisting your body and screwing something up.

I used to pull [fence] T-posts with my bare hands, until... I ran into one that for some reason, even after rocking it around, it stuck far harder than I was expecting and I ended up popping my clavicle: Dr. was impressed, says he'd only seen this happen in car accidents and football injuries. Took me a long time to recover from that, and to this day I can still feel a twinge here and there. My point is that sometimes it's hard to tell how much you're over-stressing your body until it's too late.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Absolutely agree, I have one of those engine support beams now, it doesn't have a boat motor like DanG144's but it does raise and lower the engine or transmission with relative ease.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Absolutely agree, I have one of those engine support beams now, it doesn't have a boat motor like DanG144's but it does raise and lower the engine or transmission with relative ease.
I've used my support beams three times now, once to change a transmission mount, and twice for TB jobs.

Might just now have experienced a "duh" moment. Seems I only need to put one of the levelers on the engine at the transmission end, leaving the other one to go on the transmission ((connected to a strap that goes around the transmission). I'm used to using both levelers on the engine, for engine work.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Don't you love those moments? Kinda like learning how to walk and chew gum at the same time. :cool:

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Guess I'm getting old. My top priority was making sure I could walk away and get a beer at any point! Used the block/tackle off engine bar and had jack handy to put under trans when I needed a break. Pushing engine forward with scissor jack was essential for me. Didn't have to remove flange. Pretty much by the method in Bentley.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does this pdf still exist anywhere? I feel Clutch R&R coming on.

Thanks!
Take two aspirin and think hard come tomorrow morning! CV grease nightmares will come to life if you actually do a clutch R&R!:D

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Engine support

i held my engine up with a custom cut 4x4 and a winch strap 0 dollars
I did the same but used a 2x4, a chain looped over it hooked to the engine lift points. For safety and potential jiggling I also used a strap over the 2x4 and around under the be housing mating surface. Engine hoist to lower the tranny.
Worked like a damn! With the engine still connected at one end, it is not very heavy for the 2x4 - and we know the tranny is pretty light....right?

FleTDI

TDI
2005 Jetta wagon TDI
Engine mount bolts replacement?

Flywheel bolts are all you really should replace but yes, there are some stretch bolts it wouldn't hurt to replace. When I did mine, I replaced the tranny mount bolts, dogbone mount bolts, the gear selector bolt and the inner CV bolts. If I was to do it again I probably wouldn't even bother replacing them though.
Hi Folks.
Jetta 2005 wagon. 02J EUH tranny BEW TDI

I've been searching for part numbers on the three horizontal transmission mount bolts the hold the transmission to the bracket. So far I haven't been able to find specific part numbers and since I can't measure them until I take them out I could use any help out there. I didn't want to remove them until I am sure I can get them and I am afraid I stressed them trying to get them out with the impact wrench. I have since seen the thread about heating them first, but had already done my attempts withe the impact wrench.
Thanks

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
im gonna second that id like to see a link to that .pdf if its still available.

Im planning on doing and auto to 5 speed swap and timing belt at the same time. I was thinking timing belt first. I had considered just pulling the whole engine /tranny together right out the front (after removing bumper/radiaitor etc) to do the job. Any thoughts on that, and which to do first, i was thinking timing belt then clutch?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
im gonna second that id like to see a link to that .pdf if its still available.

Im planning on doing and auto to 5 speed swap and timing belt at the same time. I was thinking timing belt first. I had considered just pulling the whole engine /tranny together right out the front (after removing bumper/radiaitor etc) to do the job. Any thoughts on that, and which to do first, i was thinking timing belt then clutch?
Appears GeWilli did not finish and publish. I did a thorough search, saw references to it back to 2005. The TDI clutch is very much like all the other front wheel drive vehicles.

ajoncar

TDI
2000 jetta tdi, 2003 jetta tdi wagon
yeah ive checked everywhere too. No biggie. I am still debating the best plan of attack for the order of the procedure be it clutch or timing belt first. Also as to weather or not just pull the whole motor tranny out to do them both.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I have a saved copy of the old DBW clutch change procedure. I used this and the one at myturbodiesel while doing my Golf's clutch in November.

FWIW I also used a ratcheting strap around one side of the engine support to help support the transmission while getting it disconnected, out, in & reconnected. I really struggled with getting the transmission in & out, but I eventually got it.

The LuK 17-050 RepSet has been smooth, quiet & flawless since installation.

Last edited:

BustedTDI

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Bumping to see if anyone can provide the pdf???

Going to give this a shot this weekend. Doing to clutch, rear main, axles, turbo, exhaust, and short shift kit from diesel geek (4 day weekend, haha).

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Bumping to see if anyone can provide the pdf???

Going to give this a shot this weekend. Doing to clutch, rear main, axles, turbo, exhaust, and short shift kit from diesel geek (4 day weekend, haha).
Did you click on the link in the previous post? It opened for me.

DRP67207

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1999 Golf TDI
Bringing this back from the dead, does anyone have a working link to DBW's PDF? Diving into clutch replacement this weekend. Thanks.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Glancing through that PDF there seems to be a few unnecessary steps in terms of the transmission removal. (Happy to be corrected if someone disagrees)

-No need to disconnect the hydraulic fluid line. Just pull the slave cylinder out and hang out of the way.
-Don't think you need to remove the half shafts from the transmission. Maybe someone can correct me here, but I just disconnected the driveshafts from their flanges and went for it. If I had to do again, I would remove the right side flange as it is a bugger when it gets hung up.
-I also did without a proper engine support. Built one with two 2x6's bolted together. Also didn't use a transmission mount. Just lowered to the ground and slid out. Having both would have been nice though.

(I can post a PDF of the myturbodiesel transmission removal page if anyone is interested. Normally I wouldn't share 3rd party stuff, but Myturbodiesel has gone a bit wonky lately and no longer has any of the DIY pages up. But I saved it when I did my clutch last year.)

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Glancing through that PDF there seems to be a few unnecessary steps in terms of the transmission removal. (Happy to be corrected if someone disagrees)
-No need to disconnect the hydraulic fluid line. Just pull the slave cylinder out and hang out of the way.
-Don't think you need to remove the half shafts from the transmission. Maybe someone can correct me here, but I just disconnected the driveshafts from their flanges and went for it. If I had to do again, I would remove the right side flange as it is a bugger when it gets hung up.
-I also did without a proper engine support. Built one with two 2x6's bolted together. Also didn't use a transmission mount. Just lowered to the ground and slid out. Having both would have been nice though.
(I can post a PDF of the myturbodiesel transmission removal page if anyone is interested. Normally I wouldn't share 3rd party stuff, but Myturbodiesel has gone a bit wonky lately and no longer has any of the DIY pages up. But I saved it when I did my clutch last year.)
I actually never read through it - I use the Bentley manual. Correct - no need to disconnect the hydraulic line or the axle cups.
The first 4 or so I removed I used a home made engine support and also used that as the tie point to raise the trans up with a ratchet strap. Removing was easier - partial drop onto a trans jack and then pick it up.
I actually have my trans out right now - blew a diff rivet so I'm assembling a replacement out of 2 broken trans with a new Peloquin LSD. I have the harbor freight engine support now - works very well.

TDI
02 Jetta 01 Beetle 97 Dodge Cummins
just pulled my tranny today. 326k on my 02 Jetta wagon. Thought while I was doing the timing belt I might as well do the clutch. It was almost into the rivets.

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
Well it's 2020 now. My 2000 Jetta TDI finally needs a new clutch: 306,000 miles.
I just am a bit confused about the flywheel dia. Did they change it sometime up to 228mm or is that a mod?

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
I just am a bit confused about the flywheel dia. Did they change it sometime up to 228mm or is that a mod?
The fly wheel is the same diameter. There are two different clutch sizes. 220? and 228 mm.

So I am going to add several ideas to the clutch replacement pdf. Several have been mentioned previously.

- Just remove the whole clutch slave cylinder instead of removing the line. No need to bleed the slave then. Hang it up out of the way.

- Don't remove the half shafts from the car. You will need to tie them up out of the way. Like the Bentley says drop the engine approximately 2 1/4" measured at the trans mount. Push the engine forward with the car jack under the turbo. You will have lots of room to get the trans in and out without removing the drive flanges.

- Jmboetje (correct spelling is jimbote) mentions this. I used a small crank type boat winch, made a bracket that fits on the HF style engine support and used that to lift the trans up and down. I used an old seat belt instead of a cable. I drilled and threaded two 1/4" holes into the cable drum. I used some round head screws and a 3/4" wide flat plate to fasten the belt to the winch. Two wraps of seat belt around the winch drum and I feel it's safe enough for what I'm doing with it. Going back in was so easy. My wife cranked the winch and I fed the trany into place. We were done in like 2 minutes.

- Put a paint mark on the flywheel at the TDC mark. It makes it easy to find the mark during a timing belt replacement.

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
- Jmboetje mentions this. I used a small crank type boat winch, made a bracket that fits on the HF style engine support and used that to lift the trans up and down. I used an old seat belt instead of a cable. I drilled and threaded two 1/4" holes into the cable drum. I used some round head screws and a 3/4" wide flat plate to fasten the belt to the winch. Two wraps of seat belt around the winch drum and I feel it's safe enough for what I'm doing with it. Going back in was so easy. My wife cranked the winch and I fed the trany into place. We were done in like 2 minutes..

Any chance you can post some pictures of this...having a hard time picturing this..... thanks.

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta

This is just a posed photo. My battery and air box are still all in place but it should give you an idea of what I did. The shackle under the winch goes trough the frame of the engine support and attaches with a short chain to the transmission.

Edited to add: From jimbote "just a short piece of chain between the boss at the starter and the middle shift bracket bolt" That's how I did mine too. (Notice I spelled his name correctly this time.)

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Thanks Gefp!

Warthog

Veteran Member
TDI
see Bio
More confused than before. In the Bentley manual There are numerous clutch disc diameters listed. 219 mm and 225 mm are ones that I might have until I discover the tranny codes.
Clutch kits that I have seen in web-sites list kits for 220 mm and 228 mm...are they referring to the flywheel size only?
I had planned to only get a disc, PP, and new bearing with various small hardware.
Any recommendations? LUK or SACHS?
Now that it's stopped raining, I'll go for some numbers and letters from the engine compartment.