Clutch and Brake switch functionality for conversions

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
Hi, I know I have seen this information before, as I have completed a TDI swap before and have working cruise. For whatever reason, I was not able to find it when I searched.

I am trying to figure out what the ECU needs to see from the clutch and brake switches to function correctly. My Tacoma has a clutch switch with 4 pins. Two pins are connected when the clutch is pressed, and two pins are disconnected when the clutch is pressed. I think I can probably make this switch work to run my ALH, but I need to know what the ECU needs to see on those inputs.

Same question for brake light switch.

If someone can help point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

pin 65 is brake input and needs to see 12v until you apply the brakes. this is done with a normally closed switch, same for pin 66 for the clutch. On my toyota I used a 4 pin no/nc toyota brake switch. These are found on nearly every toyota with cruise from mid nineties to at least 2006, maybe later.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap

pin 65 is brake input and needs to see 12v until you apply the brakes. this is done with a normally closed switch, same for pin 66 for the clutch. On my toyota I used a 4 pin no/nc toyota brake switch. These are found on nearly every toyota with cruise from mid nineties to at least 2006, maybe later.
Thank you! This info worked out perfect, and everything is working without adding any additional switches.