Cluster Mods

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
So I have read through the sticky and I wont lie, I am really confused.

Here is what I have 2001 Jetta TDI with a Immo 3 Half Height display.

Here is what I want...

1. Welcome Message
2. Lit Needles
3. Miles to empty
4. Correct MPG both trip and instant (right now it shows 65mpg trip when scan guage, which is pretty darn close shows 40mpg)
5. Get rid of speedo 3mph fudge factor

If some one can point me in the right direction it would be great.

Mike_V

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The basic process of making cluster modifications is this:
1. Obtain VagTacho, VagDashCom, or some other means of reading and writing your cluster's EEPROM. Pirated products may not work properly.
2. Read your cluster's EEPROM onto a file on your computer. The EEPROM is composed of a giant list of hexadecimal numbers; each hexadecimal number has an address, also in hexadecimal (e.g. 0x0417).
3. Change some of the numbers in this hex dump to other numbers, and save the changes (making a backup of your original EEPROM dump is a very, very good idea). Most of the discussion in the cluster mods threads are about which addresses to change, and how to change them.
4. Write the modified hex dump onto the EEPROM in your cluster.
5. Hope it works.

If you're willing to use the search, there is definitely enough reading here on TDIclub (and a little on Vortex and some on http://www.gti-tdi.de/board2/ for advanced stuff) to understand how to go about doing these mods. Given the potential to screw things up, I think it is probably a good idea to really dig in and read it all, until you understand what you are doing - or, alternatively, get direct help from somebody who does know what to do - rather than look for a simplified set of instructions to follow.

A couple other comments - I don't think it's possible to enable the welcome message on half-height clusters. Lit needles, MTE, and correcting the MPG are all easy changes - each corresponds to changing a single number in the hex code. Adjusting the speedometer without affecting the odometer is harder; if you search Nihilator's posts on the gti-tdi boards, you'll find information on it, but I wouldn't want to tackle it unless you feel really confident with this stuff.