Cluster lights??

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Have any of you replaced any bulbs in the cluster? My cluster has some backlight but the needles for speed and tach are out. Gas and temp needles are fine. I can't see my speed at night unless I look for the silhouette of the needle as it passes over the mileage numbers. Any help appreciated.

This is the 2002 jetta.

Last edited:

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I read that there was no way to and a new cluster would be needed?? What is involved in that. Will it update my millage to current? I don't know much about replacing these.

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Crap, thanks. Ima just get used to not having them. Looks like changing the whole cluster can't be done without reprogramming stuff

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If you're good with a soldering iron (and the LEDs aren't microscopic surface-mount ones), you might be able to replace the LEDs yourself.

First I've heard of the needle light going out.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
There just surface mounted, pretty easy to swap out if you can use a soldering iron. I'd check connections etc first though just in case. Only even seen like one out.

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Turbocharged798, limiting resistor?? I am not good with a soldering iron so that's out for a diy. How would I ck this limiting resistor? Thanks for the input guys, it's weird how it's only those two needles that aren't illuminating.

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Also, seatman which connections should I check? I'm learning alot about this car as I go along but I am trying to do as much as I can myself. Thanks

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also, seatman which connections should I check? I'm learning alot about this car as I go along but I am trying to do as much as I can myself. Thanks

The green and blue plug in the back of the cluster, I'd tap things to see if it made any odds. With one of my previous Mk4's I used to come out and find the dash and number plate lights lit up, that was caused by a dodgy light switch lol.

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Seatman, I just had my dodgy experience with a bad light switch. Strangest thing I have ever seen, the car would not run. No matter what I did it would start then immediately die. Could not figure it out, did all the ground checks, the basics. Nothing. Turned on the lights when I tried to start for the 3000 time and she fired right up. Ordered a new light switch and she has been running like a top since. No clue what in that switch would cause the car not to run. The needles were not being illuminated before this incident tho.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Not sure how either of those cluster plugs could come loose since the both have a bail latching I guess ANYTHING is possible.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure how either of those cluster plugs could come loose since the both have a bail latching I guess ANYTHING is possible.

Not so much come loose, just the connections sometimes lose the ability to do their job as well as they used to. I had a problem of not being able to connect with vagcom, just used a little knife to squeeze the k-line connection in the plug and boom! Worked perfect.

Age, vibration, heat etc over a number of years can have it's effect

AdinaFloyd

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
OK, I got some super glo paint and painted the needles. It actually wors perfect and this paint stays "charged" for hours. Ill consider this a win. Thanks for the input guys

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
I know this is an old thread, but mine are doing the same thing. Every one of them work, except the speedo and tach needle.

Kinda weird.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I know this is an old thread, but mine are doing the same thing. Every one of them work, except the speedo and tach needle.

Kinda weird.
Possible that you have LED or something related to that circuit bad.
If you want you can send me cluster and I can test it and see what is going on. Pm me for more info.