Clear-ish coolant

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Anyone seen clear coolant in a alh? If so what is it? I changed my coolant temp sensor today and it was clearish. I have pentofrost sf that i am putting back in, but am curious as to what it is. It used to be pink before the timing belt change

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
So, whoever did the timing belt should have changed out the coolant. Can you ask them?
Never heard of clear coolant. Maybe too much distilled was added?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So, whoever did the timing belt should have changed out the coolant. Can you ask them?
Never heard of clear coolant. Maybe too much distilled was added?
I could ask. Its a reputable import shop in the area that i had do it. I just don't know if they would remember, but they probably use the same stuff every time in the tdi's...I'll ask. I assume whatever it was its g12, but idk 100%
I wondered if it was to thin but i ran it all last winter even -35 and no problems, so i think its ok. It smelled like coolant and i accidentally burned my arm with it a bit when i got some on me in the proccess.

I'll ask the shop and see what they say. Was mostly curious if anyone has seen such a thing because i have never heard of it. It definitely wasn't green or orange. If it was pink it is super clear

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Not saying this is it, but Zerex G05 is clear (really amber but it's hard to tell) It's what I use on our PT Cruisers.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, well i hope its not that!. Thats not g12...could cause me to catalyst in my radiator. Thanks! Haven't seen anything like that before