Cleaning your intake manifold & egr valve

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
It's easiest to use a torch and a bicycle brake cable chucked up in a drill to get the ash out. Any other method takes a lot more effort. Unless it's ultrasonics...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
It's easiest to use a torch and a bicycle brake cable checked up in a drill to get the ash out. Any other method takes a lot more effort. Unless it's ultrasonics...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I didn't want to use a torch if possible I dont mind getting it out by hand but what's the best thing to use to get right inside the manifold to scrape all the crap out?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
You can pull it off and tank it, or clean with blasted beads or even torch it out. In areas where TDIs are common, some shops have exchange for a clean unit. But if it's just dirty, not clogged, leave it be. If any passages are anywhere close to 1 cm, it's clogged.
Cleaning the EGR is a bit more delicate, there are paper/rubber bits in there.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
You can pull it off and tank it, or clean with blasted beads or even torch it out. In areas where TDIs are common, some shops have exchange for a clean unit. But if it's just dirty, not clogged, leave it be. If any passages are anywhere close to 1 cm, it's clogged.
Cleaning the EGR is a bit more delicate, there are paper/rubber bits in there.
For the egr I was gonna spray it with some brake cleaner and then use a tooth brush to gently clean it out I don't wanna run the risk of breaking anything inside as you said there are paper/rubber bits in there. For the manifold could you use a long flexi wire brush or wouldn't it be strong enough to scrape out all the stubborn crap from inside?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Unless it's ultrasonics...
I was lucky as I had a small machine shop that had a tank for the purposes of cleaning hard to get gunk off vehicle parts. I was NOT wanting to torch it out as it would leave an absolute mess and I rent my current house I'm in.
They charged me $25 and went 3 or rounds of cleaning with it for a few hours at a time. You could eat out of it when it was finished. It wasn't their first ALH manifold they had cleaned either...

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I didn't want to use a torch if possible I dont mind getting it out by hand but what's the best thing to use to get right inside the manifold to scrape all the crap out?

Torch is best in my opinion, It’s a lot less time-consuming than brake clean, but you can try this instead or along side brake clean

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222161442248

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Declan023

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI VNT 17, crappy 0.210 nozzles, Malone stage 4 tune, manual swap, 3 Bar map
I torched mine and banged the ashes out with a dead blow hammer, also doing an egr delete seems to clean it out well, I had tons of soot in my intake ports that I couldn't get out and when I took it apart again 10k miles after the delete it was clean.

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
I have seen oven cleaner used as well, have not done it myself. Watched several videos from guys in Europe doing though. Looks like it works well.

06 Golf 5MT, BEW, Kerma tune, Catectomy, Bypass oil filter system

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Don't use heat on the egr valve, as it'll ruin the diaphragm in it. If you don't want to burn it out, scrape as much of it out as you can, then degreaser. It'll want to sludge and smear a lot, so it'll take a lot of scrubbing. If you have a heated pressure washer, use it too.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I have seen oven cleaner used as well, have not done it myself. Watched several videos from guys in Europe doing though. Looks like it works well.

yeah me too i watched a bmacvags video he uses mr muscle on his manifold however there seems to be mixed reviews about using this stuff some people say it reacts with the material of the manifold but not sure how true that is!

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Is it necessary to clean the ports on the head when cleaning your manifold to stop a chunk flying in to the engine and destroying it?

It seems like quiet a daunting task as I've never done anything like that before so now am in two minds about what to do, i don't want to just clean the manifold and then run the risk of ruining the engine! Is there an easy to do it?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is it necessary to clean the ports on the head when cleaning your manifold to stop a chunk flying in to the engine and destroying it?

It seems like quiet a daunting task as I've never done anything like that before so now am in two minds about what to do, i don't want to just clean the manifold and then run the risk of ruining the engine! Is there an easy to do it?
It's not that bad, and yes 100% you need to.
You can make plenty of picks and scrapers with a propane torche and some plastic eating utensils. Just make sure the cam has the one your working on closed. Dont use solvents unless your sucking them out immediately and no steel. Brass or plastic only. Ck.pressed air makes a mess, I prefer a shopvac aproche. Also a mirror works great.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
It's not that bad, and yes 100% you need to.
You can make plenty of picks and scrapers with a propane torche and some plastic eating utensils. Just make sure the cam has the one your working on closed. Dont use solvents unless your sucking them out immediately and no steel. Brass or plastic only. Ck.pressed air makes a mess, I prefer a shopvac aproche. Also a mirror works great.
This where my lack of mechanical knowledge is going to let me down but how how do i turn the cam to ensure that it's closed? Is there any guides on here that explain how to do it?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Best and easiest (IMO) way of ensuring that both valves are closed on a given cylinder is to turn the engine until both cam lobes for that cylinder are up, doing the mickey mouse thing. Of course, you have to remove the valve cover to check...

Cheers,

PH

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
Best and easiest (IMO) way of ensuring that both valves are closed on a given cylinder is to turn the engine until both cam lobes for that cylinder are up, doing the mickey mouse thing. Of course, you have to remove the valve cover to check...

Cheers,

PH

On that note, if you go this route, it’s a good time to look at your cam and lifters to check for wear.

Silverwings

TDI
02 Beetle / 03 Jetta Wagon
As far as cleaning the intake manifold- I had moderate success with a $100 Harbor Freight hot-steam cleaner, and stiff bottle brushes (after using a pick to get large chunks out). The steam cleaner worked great on the EGR. At least as good as brake cleaner but without the harsh fumes. And no- the heat didn't seem to do any damage (I aimed the steam only at solid metal parts). The intake valves were a PITA. Just used a pick, small bendable brush, and a shop vac. Took approx 1.5hrs each cyl... It was all a ton of work- but my Jetta definitely thanked me for it in terms of 'pep' and probably a few mpgs.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Trick is you will never get the swirled part clean but you can get some of it. Only way to effectively clean the head is removal but that's imo more work than it's worth.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
I replaced the EGR valve yesterday and was quiet surprised to see how much gunk had built up inside the manifold.

https://imgur.com/a/NLgBNa5

https://imgur.com/a/XQhHk7d

Would you say this is about normal for a car that has done roughly about 150K miles? I know it needs cleaning but as some of you have already mentioned you need to clean the head as well which am not competent enough to do as this point but saying that i have read loads of threads about this on the forum and no one has come back and said that some loose debri has flown in to the engine after cleaning just the manifold so am wondering if it's worth the risk or is better to leave well alone unless your gonna do both? Also is there any actual performance increase or is just peace of mind knowing it's not gunked up inside?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That egr is pretty gunked up, you can take the egr off separately and just clean that, however when you separate the egr from the intake, the intake will probably be as bad or worse.

The first time I cleaned my intake, it took about four hours, several cans of cleaner and was one of the messiest nastiest jobs I’ve ever done. Now I use the burn method, 15 minutes and minimum mess and you’re done. As another poster pointed out do not leave the egr attached to the intake while burning because there is a rubber diaphragm in the hat shaped part.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
That egr is pretty gunked up, you can take the egr off separately and just clean that, however when you separate the egr from the intake, the intake will probably be as bad or worse.

The first time I cleaned my intake, it took about four hours, several cans of cleaner and was one of the messiest nastiest jobs I’ve ever done. Now I use the burn method, 15 minutes and minimum mess and you’re done. As another poster pointed out do not leave the egr attached to the intake while burning because there is a rubber diaphragm in the hat shaped part.
Have you got a Mk4 1.9 TDI? Did you clean the ports on the head when you cleaned your manifold and if you did was there any negative comebacks like the engine dying?

Johnbyers

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 5spd
Cleaning your intake manifold & egr valve

I’m new to these cars and don’t know all the terms. 02’ Jetta GL 5spd with 264k on it and cleaned down the ports as best as I could and used a vac as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trailbum

TDI
2004 Jetta
I'd like to remove and clean the intake and EGR on my 2004 BEW. I saw a procedure with photos for the ALH engine somewhere... Is there a step by step guide with photos somewhere for the BEW engine as well??? I don't want to screw this up or break anything!!