Cleaning the MAF sensor?

joshwa

TDI
VW Passat TDI (100PD) B5.5 '01
I have a 100PD Passat 1.9 TDI '01 engine and performance seems lacking. I've tested it (disconnected the Bosch MAF sensor to find I get much better performance) and feel that the MAF is at fault - has anyone had any luck cleaning the MAF? I've tried carb cleaner spray through the pipe after the air filter, but this didn't seem to do anything... I'm tempted to take the MAF sensor out and clean it outside the car to see if this helps?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Last edited:

Sprunch

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf Gl Bright Green
CRC MAF Cleaner and then hit it with compressed air to knock the build up off the element.

hagar

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 white Jetta 5sp & 2006 Mercedes CDI
Rubbing alcohol does a good job on mine. Let air dry. If it does not work, get a new one.

eliotness

TDI
2004 Jetta
Take the element out (you need special tools for that), spray brake cleaner into the inlets of the maf, let dry, blow it out with air- install. This worked for me !

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
sprucewire said:
  • Cleaning worked for about a week.Now its bad again, I'm ordering new.​
Check the airbox for any leak(s) and install a new OEM (paper) air filter. Make absolutely sure the filter element is making a tight seal in the airbox and there are no other leaks. DO NOT open the airbox unless you are planning to install a new filter. The rubber seal around the filter element can be trusted to make a tight seal only ONCE.

Dirt contamination kills MAFs quickly plus who knows what it's doing to your turbo and engine. :eek: I managed to kill two MAFs in 6 months in my 02 Golf TDI due to a minor airbox leak. :mad:

Good luck.

joshwa

TDI
VW Passat TDI (100PD) B5.5 '01
I managed to fix the problem - I tried cleaning the old one but that didn't fix it, so I replaced the MAF sensor with a new one - but used the same housing. I also cleaned the housing as much as I could - but it's quite surprising how much junk (small leaves etc) was in there! I replaced the air filter about 1000 miles ago and have made sure it's still good.

Replacing the MAF sensor has made a huge difference (0-60 was 18sec, now 13sec). One happy josh :)

I've put instructions on how to change/clean the sensor on my website: www.joshwaller.co.uk