Cleaning/maintaining your Leatherette?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

My 06 has the dark grey perforated leatherette seats, and I was just wondering what you use to clean them?

Would you use a leather cleaner???

Also, what do you guys use to clean the dash board, and the rest of the interior?

Thanks in advance :)

P.S. Have had my car for a week now, and I absolutely love every minute with it!!!

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I use meguires leather care and actually have used that on the dash as well but usually use armor all cleaner on everything and then protectant on everything. just my opinion tho.

TDInownow

Veteran Member
TDI
None right now...
Meguiars has a low gloss (I think they call it natural finish) plastic and vinyl cleaner and protectant. I had to grab something after I got bird poo all over my rear cargo cover from a well timed open-pano attack.

I liked it on the cover so I used it on the back seats, too. Not too bad. Not greasy, doesn't much look like it's there. I think I'd prefer this to the leather protectant.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the interior surfaces, save for shifter handle/boot, steering wheel cover, and instrument cluster plastic.

It's got a very low gloss finish and a dust repelent built in. This is what a lot of the pros use. Pricey, but I'm a happy camper so far. I used to use Meguiars Natural Shine until I finally took recommendations to try this.

chimmike

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 A5
+1 on 303. Armor all has ingredients which over time dry out the dash material and crack it. This has been known for a while. I haven't touched Armor All in years. Meguiars shine for when I want stuff glossy, otherwise 303 has UVA blockers in it, and does a really nice job.

I just use any kind of leather cleaner/ conditioner on the leatherette.....I've found Lenol to be the best for leather though. Kept the leather in our 04 accord very supple.

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
hmmm the meguires that I use has a very low gloss and its not greasy at all from what I can tell.. works wells I think

wright

TDI
Current: 2014 Touareg Lux / Former: 06 Jetta manual
I also use Meguiars leather care on all the seats, armrest, and steering wheel. Not greasy, but makes everything feel softer. I use Meguiars Quick Interior Detailer spray for the dash and all other harder surfaces, like the door panels. Both have a nice aroma as well. Haven't tried the high-end products yet, but am thinking about it to see if they last a little longer. I usually do mine every 4-6 months, or whenever it seems a little dry. Don't like armor-all due to the greasy/shiny appearance of it. I like it to look clean, but not sopping with oil.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
dzcad90 said:
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the interior surfaces, save for shifter handle/boot, steering wheel cover, and instrument cluster plastic.

It's got a very low gloss finish and a dust repelent built in. This is what a lot of the pros use. Pricey, but I'm a happy camper so far. I used to use Meguiars Natural Shine until I finally took recommendations to try this.
So you use the 303 on the seats as well?

I thought 303 was good for interior surfaces like dashboards?

What do you use on the radio panel, and all of the knobs and buttons?

Thanks guys :)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Damien8 said:
So you use the 303 on the seats as well?

I thought 303 was good for interior surfaces like dashboards?

What do you use on the radio panel, and all of the knobs and buttons?

Thanks guys :)

Of course I use it on the seats! The seats are vynal, pleather, whatever you wanto call it. I see others have referenced the use of a leather cleaner. Leather cleaners are specifically tailored to be used on surfaces that are animal hide.. Breathable surfaces. I see no benefit on using something like that on the plasic seats.

The seats are entirely synthetic. I was honestly disappointed when I went to the dealer and found this out, but now I'm actually happy. The leather in my '03 was starting to show it's age after 160K miles. The V-Tex already feels much more sturdy than leather did in the '03.

I've seen MB-Tex that was 15 years old that still looked almost new.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
dzcad90 said:
Of course I use it on the seats! The seats are vynal, pleather, whatever you wanto call it. I see others have referenced the use of a leather cleaner. Leather cleaners are specifically tailored to be used on surfaces that are animal hide.. Breathable surfaces. I see no benefit on using something like that on the plasic seats.

The seats are entirely synthetic. I was honestly disappointed when I went to the dealer and found this out, but now I'm actually happy. The leather in my '03 was starting to show it's age after 160K miles. The V-Tex already feels much more sturdy than leather did in the '03.

I've seen MB-Tex that was 15 years old that still looked almost new.
Can you also use the 303 on the dashboard, radio, buttons/knobs?

What about the steering wheel? What would you suggest to use to clean that up? I do not have the leather wrapped wheel, just the standard one without radio buttons.

Thanks!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Damien8 said:
Can you also use the 303 on the dashboard, radio, buttons/knobs?

What about the steering wheel? What would you suggest to use to clean that up? I do not have the leather wrapped wheel, just the standard one without radio buttons.

Thanks!
303 can be used on just about anything that isn't metal, transparent plastic, carpet, fabric, or leather. I use it on all the surfaces you mention above. It gives a really nice deep black color to the plastic dash pieces.

This goes for most protectants, i.e. Meguiars Natural Shine (I used that for years..)

I will add.. I do not like to use it on pedals. I'd rather use just soapy water on those. I don't need ANYTHING making my pedals slick. For the same reason, I'd probalby avoid using it on a steering wheel as well. If you do use it on the steering wheel, after application I'd go over the entire surface with a towel just to ensure you won't come upon a slick spot.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Just curious, but what do you fellows recommend for keeping the black plastic cover under the windshield wipers that runs the width of the hood looking black? I have a Passat but you must have one like it too.

Thanks,

BTW: I have been using 303 for years on my cars too.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
aja8888 said:
Just curious, but what do you fellows recommend for keeping the black plastic cover under the windshield wipers that runs the width of the hood looking black? I have a Passat but you must have one like it too.

Thanks,

BTW: I have been using 303 for years on my cars too.
Going to sound like a broken record here..

303 works :) Just did mine last weekend.

Ok.. Seriously, it's a slow day at the office this afternoon..

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
303 Protectant wasn't made specifically for automotive uses, it was made to be a sunscreen for all kinds of products. I learned about 303 first when I got into kayaking, and it was recommended to use it on your kayaking gear to help prevent it from UV damage.

http://www.303products.com/

People should be aware, too, that the automakers are doing better and better at making this stuff last right from the factory. Gone are the days when dashboards used to split, and the foam underneath get all dry and crumbly. The automakers and their parts suppliers do all kinds of 'validation testing' now, where parts are put into test chambers under extreme heat, cold, humidity, UV exposure, etc., to see how they hold up. Vehicles are also left out in the sun in Arizona, too, to test their UV resistance. Everything from dashboards to seat fabrics to weatherstripping is tested, and over the years better UV inhibitors have been added right into the vinyl that makes the dash board skins, for instance.

In the almost 10 years I've owned my Golf, I have seen no 'weathering' type of damage at all to the car, except for the door panel fabric that has come loose (A4 Golf). VW did a bad job with the foam underneath, which disintegrates, and the fabric separates and sags. I've only applied 303 a few times to the dash, shifter area, and tops of the door panels. For the most part, I just wipe it down and call it good.

Long story short, there really is little to worry about with regards to using special products to extend the life of a car's interior. Just clean it with a mild detergent and call it good.

Leather conditioner is for leather, and probably does little other than oil up your vinyl. Leather will absorb the conditioner, but vinyl won't.

I've also read many anecdotal reports that Armor All is bad because it contains silicone, which harms vinyl and rubber, so that was one reason I went with 303 instead of Armor All.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
We made dashboard material at our (ARCO's) chemical plant in Monoca, PA. It is made of high density expanded polystyrene with inhibitors added. We made the stuff in pellet form and sold it to companies who molded the one piece dash frame and top. Good stuff, essentially the same as a "styrofoam" coffee cup, but with a higher density, etc.

Most newer cars use it and it lasts a long time without failure. I have seen a 2005 Chev Cobalt with a cracked dash, however (my step daughter's car). She did all the right things; windshield sunscreen, protectant, parked in an indoor garage a work, etc.

So they can fail.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
dzcad90 said:
303 can be used on just about anything that isn't metal, transparent plastic, carpet, fabric, or leather. I use it on all the surfaces you mention above. It gives a really nice deep black color to the plastic dash pieces.

This goes for most protectants, i.e. Meguiars Natural Shine (I used that for years..)

I will add.. I do not like to use it on pedals. I'd rather use just soapy water on those. I don't need ANYTHING making my pedals slick. For the same reason, I'd probalby avoid using it on a steering wheel as well. If you do use it on the steering wheel, after application I'd go over the entire surface with a towel just to ensure you won't come upon a slick spot.
So you do use it on all the buttons, such as the window open buttons? Radio dials?

What would you suggest for the steering wheel?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
So do you just spray on microfiber cloth, and then wipe down the area?

Do you use another dry towel to wipe any excess off?

Thanks!