Cleaning inside IP

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Hi folks,

Will be taking the cover off the IP tomorrow to change the fuel temperature sensor. The cover has never been off the IP so I have no idea how clean or dirty it will be inside. If I need to clean up any areas, what do you recommend I use. I was thinking brake cleaner since it cleans good, dries quickly, and leaves no residue.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Glenn

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
The cleaning you will need to do is on the outside of the pump, to keep outside dirt from getting into it.
The only thing you will find inside the pump is fuel and that's supposed to be there. Don't spray cleaners or solvents inside your injection pump.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Sounds good. I will just use lint free towels, a small brush, and clean fuel if anything has any gunk on it. I doubt I will find much, but the car has been fed some commercial biodiesel in its past, so I don't know what I may find.

Let me know if this sounds acceptable.

thanks,

Glenn

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Quality biodiesel is an excellent cleaner.
I wouldn't use any towels that could leave even the smallest fleck of cloth or paper fiber.
And anything the brake cleaner would loosen up would just end up down in the pump.
Use the diesel purge hooked straight thru the pump to clean the inside.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
Ok, Got it, no cleaners, etc......Thanks! I'll just clean the exterior real well, pull the top, replace the sensor, and seal it all back up with a new gasket.

Glenn

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Be clean, beginning with the outside

As you have seen from the pros, clean the outside....

I suggest covering the Alternator and pressure wash the engine ... I pressure wash mine no less than once per month.

Once it is pressure washed, you can also use brake cleaner or carb cleaner to finish up and then blow-off immediately with compressed air, such as below:

The inside of your pump should look very similiar to the following pics:

Below, pumping fuel out ....

Lastly, below, in the bottom of the IP ....... the only thing was an unfortunate gnat!