"clean diesel" on Market Place Morning Report

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
no-blue-screen said:
True...she NEEDS an E320 CDI :)
Yeah, we use the CDI for a lot of stuff that others use a mini-van for. The ML stays home unless we need the extra capacity or towing. The Beetle gets the most work, it seems.

Friends of ours traded in their H2 for an R350 and doubled their fuel economy. Not really as good as the diesel version coming, but I tried.

TM

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
Tin Man said:
But she certainly has a RIGHT to.
TM
Yes she does. BUT, do you know how many dinosaurs died to give her that right? Hell, they ALL f*&ing died! Every last one of them! How's that for a sacrifice? Just so she could drive an over-priced, over-sized, and WAY over-blinged family hauler.

:)) )

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
cptmox said:
Yes she does. BUT, do you know how many dinosaurs died to give her that right? Hell, they ALL f*&ing died! Every last one of them! How's that for a sacrifice? Just so she could drive an over-priced, over-sized, and WAY over-blinged family hauler.

:)) )
Gee, I thought it was only used as an Urban Assault Vehicle!:D

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Tin Man said:
But she certainly has a RIGHT to.
just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

i agree that she has every right to grab a martini and a deck chair on the titanic. still, i think i die a little inside every time i see a Hummer speeding down a city street.:(

kustomart02

TDI
2005 TDI Jetta wagon
low sulfur

So I'm in cali as well. All the pumps at Shell are tagged with the new low S criterium.

Older stations are catching up.

I skimmed all the reports here. But I'm getting a hunch that a cup or so of used motor oil in the tank would probally benifit the motor...regardless of CAT issues.

Is there good data that the low sulfur is too 'dry' for these TDI blocks?

I've started the fuel additive at 52K miles on a 05 jetta wagon 1.9 pd.

Don't make sense that a spot of oil in this dry fuel wouldn't be good, regardless of regulations. Of course filtered for metal, etc.

Hey...It's not like I'm dumping crankcase oil in the river...so be honest here please.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
no-blue-screen said:
Hybrids are ash backwards if you ask me. Why not have a Diesel hybrid that has a large electric motor, and a small single cylinder Diesel engine to recharge the batteries and generate power. Seems to me that would be much more efficient.
That`s where it will end up going. Make it a lug-in so I can charge it with our roof mounted PVs ans a few microturbines then fuel it with locally made B100 sourced from our municiple waste stream and we are well on our way to something close sustainable.

We really don`t have any other viable options so common sense and economics will find the eventual solutions.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Tin Man said:
But she certainly has a RIGHT to. Something that is beyond comprehension to some social engineers on this list.:mad:

TM
When society finally decides that along with her "right" she also has to take on the "responsibility" of such decisions by paying the full and true costs of such foolishness I`ll buy your argument. Until then I believe it`s my right to condemn such wastefullness and work to see she that takes full responsibility for her actions and not dump the costs on to the rest of us.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RC said:
When society finally decides that along with her "right" she also has to take on the "responsibility" of such decisions by paying the full and true costs of such foolishness I`ll buy your argument. Until then I believe it`s my right to condemn such wastefullness and work to see she that takes full responsibility for her actions and not dump the costs on to the rest of us.
We've had this argument before. It amounts to who will decide what is worth what. Almost nothing in the economy is paid for at a price that is what it is worth. Unless you believe in a "free economy and free enterprise": what a concept!

Judging others and determining what they should do with their freedoms is still totalitarian thinking, no matter how you cut it.

TM

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Tin Man said:
We've had this argument before. It amounts to who will decide what is worth what.
TM
Scientists, not politicians. It just so happens that science is something the politicians in charge now are doing their very best to squelch and stifle. It couldn`t be more clear my friend.

I`m for a "fair" economy rather than a "free" one. Free means someone else had to pay the costs because, as you well know, nothing in this universe is free.

And again, with freedom comes certain responsibilities.

Last edited:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
As an aside...
Regarding "Freedom". A few years back the statue atop the Capital Building (Freedom is her name) was taken down to be refurbished. I believe it was during the Reagan administration. I said they needed to add a companion who`s name sould be Responsibility. It`s long past time we saw the reality of the two going hand in hand. One cannot exist without the other for too long. I think we are just about there.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RC said:
Scientists, not politicians. It just so happens that science is something the politicians in charge now are doing their very best to stifle.
You truly are naive. Neither has been very good at gauging the value of a commodity, let alone a service performed. Note the US Medical system, long ago corrupted by both parties.

What I think you are getting at is that certain aspects of the economy/environment/political world etc. are important enough to the public good that government in its proper role needs to intervene. This is a need based reasonable strategy that is malleable in a democratic system. There is no argument that fuel usage needs some regulation.

Puritanical, better than thou, self appointed clerics of a fringe political philosophy need not apply. "Let them all drive Priuses or TDI's," for example, doesn't work anyway, however well meaning. Although a marvelous idea provided it was a choice (not a forced requirement), its no coincidence that the "people's car" was pioneered by herr ******.

TM

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RC said:
As an aside...
Regarding "Freedom". A few years back the statue atop the Capital Building (Freedom is her name) was taken down to be refurbished. I believe it was during the Reagan administration. I said they needed to add a companion who`s name sould be Responsibility. It`s long past time we saw the reality of the two going hand in hand. One cannot exist without the other for too long. I think we are just about there.
This is true. To keep freedom, one must practice responsibility. Otherwise, important aspects of life will be more regulated. Not a good proposition.

HOW to regulate fuel use is the challenge.

TM

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Tin Man said:
This is true. To keep freedom, one must practice responsibility. Otherwise, important aspects of life will be more regulated. Not a good proposition.
HOW to regulate fuel use is the challenge.
TM
Full and true costs as dermined, as best as possible, by science a economics. I`m all for that rather than regulation.

Last edited:

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
Tin Man said:
You truly are naive. Neither has been very good at gauging the value of a commodity, let alone a service performed. Note the US Medical system, long ago corrupted by both parties.

TM
Science, without the intervention of politicians, is certainly able to do a better job than with them. Nothing is perfect, but the strive to do better is a part of our being.... at least in some of us. ;)

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
MrErlo said:
i can say with 100% certainty that NO house wife NEEDS a Hummer2 to drive from her 4,000 sq ft house in the suburbs to the day spa, and then to pick up Fufu the poodle from the pet groomers.
Tin Man said:
But she certainly has a RIGHT to. Something that is beyond comprehension to some social engineers on this list.:mad:
Both half-right in my opinion.

People have the right to drive a Hummer H2 wherever they want if they have the money, but it sure would be nice if people took into account what effect that choice has on everyone else. Supply vs. Demand raises or lowers costs of a product, gasoline included. I drive a relatively efficient car, but I don't really enjoy (nor do I have the budget) to be paying $3 per gallon.

The collective consumption of gasoline by the general public directly affects the price I pay for my own tank of fuel. But individuals see the actions of themselves as directly affecting only them, so it's terribly hard to change group behavior to make it more fair for the people who aren't gluttonous in their consumption.

I'd like to see an economy for fuel purchases that makes it more expensive to fuel horrendously wasteful vehicles. But I have absolutely no idea how to set the price of amounts of fuel for such an economy, so I'm not even going to try suggesting a price scheme.

istewart

Veteran Member
I say let the people who chose wrongly pay full price for their decision. Sure, they'll be *****ing for politicians to lower the cost of fuel (and getting suckered by anybody who proposes such a thing), but such subsidy plans always fall over in the end. In the meantime, I'll be laughing my way to the pump, and will make sure to hire the nastiest lawyer I can find if any SUV driver is stupid enough to hit me.

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
Because we are already offtopic I may stick my nose here and ask "Why are SUV driveable with the same driving license as other (smaller) cars? They should require a more stringent license just like an 18 wheeler or something" - Dunno how the licensing is made over that side of the pond but in Europe (or at least in my country but I am sure that at leas a part of Europe) there are 5 main types of licenses:

A - motorcycles
B - cars
C - Cargo trucks
D - Buses (more responsability due to the large number of passengers)
E - Large 18 Wheel trucks

There are different speed limits and sometimes punishments for not obeying the regulations.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
Let's face the unpleasant fact... Diesels need to be e-checked.

And this is why I say that, at the risk of being labeled a gasser-lover. I live in SE Ohio, land of free and unzoned. I have lost count of the number of times I have been behind a Diesel truck and been blacked out, probably because some clown has chipped his truck.

I was watching a moto-show a few weeks back, and the topic was diesel power. The owner of own rig said: "when you are making smoke, you are making power" and was very proud of the trail he could lay down. THAT seems to be the prevalent attitude in the Diesel world. Never mind that smoke is just a sign of wasted fuel or a dirty intake.

Dont get me started on commercial tractor-trucks. New ones are not bad, but you get some older ones chugging up a hill and even I want to push those cretins off the mountainside.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIfor said:
Let's face the unpleasant fact... Diesels need to be e-checked.

And this is why I say that, at the risk of being labeled a gasser-lover. I live in SE Ohio, land of free and unzoned. I have lost count of the number of times I have been behind a Diesel truck and been blacked out, probably because some clown has chipped his truck.

I was watching a moto-show a few weeks back, and the topic was diesel power. The owner of own rig said: "when you are making smoke, you are making power" and was very proud of the trail he could lay down. THAT seems to be the prevalent attitude in the Diesel world. Never mind that smoke is just a sign of wasted fuel or a dirty intake.

Dont get me started on commercial tractor-trucks. New ones are not bad, but you get some older ones chugging up a hill and even I want to push those cretins off the mountainside.
True, but I wonder what crap would come out of the exhaust of a gasser truck if they didn't allow diesels. Studies seem to show even more small particulates, while the visible black stuff is thought to be relatively harmless since it falls to the ground or does not reach the far areas of the lung.

TM