Clean Diesel DPF Data Collection Thread

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If someone is concerned about selling a deleted car , all they need to do is keep a signed copy of the bill of sale (or similar document) stating the car is intended for off road use only. This should prevent any legal repercussions.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My thought: If the bill of sales says it's for off road use only, then the new owner should not be able to obtain clean title and street plates.

But this is getting way OT.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If someone is concerned about selling a deleted car , all they need to do is keep a signed copy of the bill of sale (or similar document) stating the car is intended for off road use only. This should prevent any legal repercussions.
Hence the bold print

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

If someone is concerned about selling a deleted car , all they need to do is keep a
signed copy of the bill of sale (or similar document) stating the car is intended for
off road use only. This should prevent any legal repercussions.
You have a car licensed for street use you modified, you broke the law. Period.
I would NEVER sell a modified car to someone who did not fully understand this
and actually wanted the Mod.

So have buyer sign a paper that says YOU intentionally and knowingly broke
Federal and State emission laws, and that they are breaking the law by buying
it and getting it licensed for street? If I bought a DPF delete car I would sign
NOTHING saying the car is off road,
and I wouldn't sue seller if they disclosed
it. I would accept the risks.

what is oil ash volume an how does the vcds read all these things?
ECU estimates ash load by mileage, differential pressure across the DPF
and maybe other parameters I'm not privy to, my guess. Someone may
know more details, but I am sure ash load is not direct reading like fuel
in a fuel tank. It is indirect. However fact is DPF will eventually fill with
ash eventually, requiring replacement (or flush/cleaning).

Last edited:

DriverJon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 6M
My thought: If the bill of sales says it's for off road use only, then the new owner should not be able to obtain clean title and street plates.

But this is getting way OT.
Yep... but a final thought. In CA, unless its changed recently, its the norm for a passing smog test to occcur when a car changes title. The new owner can't register the car without it. Supposed to be the resposibilty of the seller to supply it.

I ran afoul of this when I bought a 77 Alfa Spider from a nice Swiss couple, who swore they just passed it and there'd be no problem, so I went ahead and bought the car at a decent price. I also didn't look close enough at the engine... Long story short, I ended up doing a full engine rebuild a lot sooner in the restoration than I was planning... Was getting ready to take them to court, but they moved on me, and I gave up. Was over a year before I finished everything, was able to pass the test, and finally was able to register it and drive it legally. Other states may have similar laws... Check yours! Remember, not knowing the law is no excuce...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I believe it was the Queen who said to Alice, "Ignorance is not a defense!".

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
"The worst defense is intelegence. The best offense is belligerence"
- Robert Pollard :D

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Member Name: Andy_2009_JSW
Model Year: 2009
Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Tranny: DSG
Miles: 146400
Oil Ash Volume:180 ml
Oil Type: Mobil-1 ESP 5w30
Avg MPG 35-ish
State: GA

Additional VCDS (version 15.7.1) data points:
12.6g Soot (calc)
0g Soot (meas)
3 Requested Regens
0 Successful Regens
7.8l Fuel consumption since last regen
130 km distance since last regen
132 time since last regen (minutes)

Remarks:
My P0401 (EGR insufficient flow) code/check-engine light has been on constantly for probably the last 10K miles/6 months. Soot at tail pipe. Pretty certain DPF is cracked. Seem to be noticing a few more regens than in the past, but that's a subjective data point. Fortunately the soot still seems to be getting reduced to ash so I don't have the DPF indicator on the MFD (meaning > 45g of soot in filter?). This whole emissions/dieselgate fiasco has put any alternative remedies for this on hold...

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
In the same boat, as Andy, with a 2009.

DPF was cleaned, and VCDS finally cleared each the Soot and Ash volume numbers. That part was actually tricky, going through the measuring blocks and toggling the "1" value twice, in order to actually get the measured soot back below the 45gram barrier. I've seen a lot of posts on this forum about not being able to lower both values, after a DPF clean/replace. You need to be sure the toggled value gets read back to the car.

Engine light has been relatively permanent (P0401). About 4 weeks after DPF re-install, and 2 after the turbo actuator started showing as failing...Diesel-Gate. I don't think VW will be able to afford any goodwill, beyond compliance. Knowing the clog frequency these cars have had, I can't imagine they'll "win" back many of us if they don't retrofit full SCR. I doubt I'll have the car, by then, even if it has to be a charity deduction.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
In the same boat, as Andy, with a 2009.

DPF was cleaned, and VCDS finally cleared each the Soot and Ash volume numbers. That part was actually tricky, going through the measuring blocks and toggling the "1" value twice, in order to actually get the measured soot back below the 45gram barrier. I've seen a lot of posts on this forum about not being able to lower both values, after a DPF clean/replace. You need to be sure the toggled value gets read back to the car.

Engine light has been relatively permanent (P0401). About 4 weeks after DPF re-install, and 2 after the turbo actuator started showing as failing...Diesel-Gate. I don't think VW will be able to afford any goodwill, beyond compliance. Knowing the clog frequency these cars have had, I can't imagine they'll "win" back many of us if they don't retrofit full SCR. I doubt I'll have the car, by then, even if it has to be a charity deduction.
did you put a new EGR filter in after getting the DPF cleaned?

If so, wondering how long it took for running with a cracked(and in your case, cleaned) DPF.

thanks

Last edited:

bluecrab

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I wish I had been following this board a few months ago. My check engine light was intermittent for a while then after the ECU software recall went to on all the time. Although I do not have a scanner, I am in the Wash DC area and probably could have let someone pull data.

My car had just over 90,000 when the light started. Of course everything hit the fan for VW at the same time. I just took my car to the dealer this week where they confirmed needs a Particulate and EGR filter. They will no longer even consider handling or assisting with the cost under warranty like they seem to have been doing in the past.

So, I am getting ready to replace on my own and save the parts for possible attempts to get reimbursed later. If it would help getting readings on a 2012 JSW once the new parts are in place let me know.

Jaymarks

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG (bought back),12 Jetta TDI 6man (totaled and bought back), 15 Jetta TDI DSG
I wish I had been following this board a few months ago. My check engine light was intermittent for a while then after the ECU software recall went to on all the time. Although I do not have a scanner, I am in the Wash DC area and probably could have let someone pull data.

My car had just over 90,000 when the light started. Of course everything hit the fan for VW at the same time. I just took my car to the dealer this week where they confirmed needs a Particulate and EGR filter. They will no longer even consider handling or assisting with the cost under warranty like they seem to have been doing in the past.

So, I am getting ready to replace on my own and save the parts for possible attempts to get reimbursed later. If it would help getting readings on a 2012 JSW once the new parts are in place let me know.
What do you need from me?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI

I work in Rockville live in Kensington and have a cable.....

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

PM I sent has contact info.

I would be interested in a few vcds readings while the errors are in place.

auto scan would be good, as would engine basic settings 78.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
did you put a new EGR filter in after getting the DPF cleaned?

If so, wondering how long it took for running with a cracked(and in your case, cleaned) DPF.

thanks
Yes, Chill put a new EGR in about 5k miles before the DPF reported itself full. I don't think miles were all that was required. I forget, but either soot, or ash value will clear in small, even increments if you have Vag-Com monitoring on while driving. Whether a function of miles, or time, you can predict how long before ash (I think was ash) has cleared (it wasn't much >100mi). The >45gr soot value was another matter, that required the correct key strokes within VagCom.

I wish I had been following this board a few months ago. My check engine light was intermittent for a while then after the ECU software recall went to on all the time. ...

My car had just over 90,000 when the light started. Of course everything hit the fan for VW at the same time. I just took my car to the dealer this week where they confirmed needs a Particulate and EGR filter. They will no longer even consider handling or assisting with the cost.....
Interesting. Good luck w/VW, in the future. Some considerations:
-www.dpfregeneration.com costs $400, for a cleaning. Receipt showed over 1kg lighter exhaust assembly , when I got it back
-For 2009 only, which I have, the LNT and the DPF are one part. $2,900 is about the best I found (an amazing profit center, knowing VW's Lean Nox Trap is useless).
-I have faith in the cleaning, but no miles as I haven't had time to fix the stuck turbo vanes, and have been in limp mode ever since.
-Mine was not cracked.

FWIW, I remain undecided about what to do over the diesel mess. Part of me wants to see them pay for the recall, but the bigger circus they've made of themselves, and their customers, has put my sympathy below zero.

Last edited:

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
90ml @ 97737 miles

23 Nov 2015
MemberName: bobt2382
Model Year: 2010
Model: Golf, 4dr
Tranny: 6M
Miles: 97737
Oil Ash Volume: Group 241 - Field 0 78mll
Oil Type Penzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30
Avrg. MPG: 39.00
Current soot load: Group 241 - Field 1 Soot Load(g) - Calculated 4.5
Group 241 - Field 2 Soot Load(g) - Measured 0.0
24 September 2013 my Oil Ash Volume jumper from 39 to 48ml last month at 56k miles.
25 May 2014 Went from 48ml to 60ml at approximately 68635 miles...so took around 12500 miles for the additional 12ml.
21 Dec 2014. Jumped to 69ml at approximately 78719 miles at the start of a cross country road trip. Took 10 k miles this time. About half of the those miles were very short trips
30 Jan 2015. Jumped to 78ml at approximately 87411. This took about 8700 miles. Most of which were highway miles from the round trip coast to coast trip. Very cold temps.

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
maintenance247, I sent you a PM.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'll bring down everyone's average..

MemberName: jason_
Model Year: 2009
Model: sport wagon
Tranny: 6m
Miles: 230,384
Oil Ash Volume: 253mL
Oil Type: Rotella 15 w-40
Avg. MPG: ~36

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Yah, next few weeks is a delete, curious to see if it makes any difference. I guess I'm well over the ash limit? Ha.

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with cm11!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
MemberName: ksing44
Model Year: 2010
Model: Golf
Tranny: 6M
Miles:122,947
Oil Ash Volume: 120 ml
Oil Type: Castrol LL03
Avrg. MPG: 40.1

billy.whizz

TDI
golf mk6
member name "billy.whizz// model year 2010// model golf 1.6//tranny-manual.// miles 39848//oil ash 1.036g//soot mass measured minus!! reading -1.03g //soot mass calculated 10.4g//oil 5-30 longlife vw oil//

Neonryder

TDI
13 JSW TDI
JSW
6mt
Total Quartz 5W-30 (since free maintenance ran out)
39.5 mpg (MFD calculated)

Dealer replaced DPF under warranty, now getting same MIL codes as before it was replaced P2413, P2000 and P2002