Clarification on Hidden hitches re: Turbo

Duece

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
In keeping with my no stupid questions, just stupid people belief, I am looking for clarification for my '05 TDI (sedan).

Pretty much ever site I've gone to looking for a hidden hitch (or some other brand) they state "not Turbo". I know that others have hidden hitches on their TDI's. Are they refering to the Gasoline Turbo engine's.

:confused:

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Considering the number of people that installed one on their TDI, I can only assume that by turbo they mean 1.8T. THere's a thread that shows how to install it with pics. Do a search on it. I would buy with confidence if I were you.

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
There are lots of people with TDI's towing. In the FAQ section there is a section on towing. I don't know why they would exclude the gas turbo. Maybe the exhaust for the gas turbo interferes with the hitch location. etrailer.com is a good place to shop for hitches. you can even download the installation manual for the hitches to see how they hook up the car

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I have a feeling they are more referring to cars with the exhaust cutout. (ie the rear valence is cutout and the exhaust tips protrude)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
for the TDI, towing is fine. it's only for the turbo-gassers it's not advised. if you tow large loads, most people recommend having an EGT gauge. replacing the muffler with a straight pipe (aka mufflerectomy) is also supposed to reduce EGTs a bit. if you want a really nice hitch, look into the OEM eurohitch - it is so solid you really can't compare it to the other hidden hitch brands. of course it's more expensive, but if you are going to be doing a fair amount of towing, i wouldn't hesitate to get the OEM hitch.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
and if you look closely at the Hidden hitch when installed, it isn't so hidden. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the Uhaul one. those look much nicer.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
exactly - the "hidden hitch" is not hidden at all. the oem hitch is the only truly hidden hitch. 100%. you can't see a thing, unless you actually put in the ball (which normally resides in your spare tire foam thingie)

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Special order from UK or mainland Europe only. Expen$ive as hell...like $750 or so.

Thanks, I'll live with my ugly, exposed, not-remotely-hidden Hidden Hitch for $200, with stingers, adaptors, electrics, hitch...

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
they're not 750. you can get them for 450, or if you happen to know someone who would ship it to you, even less...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Last time I checked with the euro place, they wouldn't guarantee that it would fit a US car. In one of the earlier postings on this, some mods had to be made as the rear bumper or something was bigger than the euro model. This was for the A4 model I believe.

If I knew it would fit perfectly, I would order one. Cost wouldn't be the deciding factor.

Duece

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI
Wow. Thanks for all the assistance. It makes my decistion a lot easier. I must say I haven't been a fan of the "hidden hitch".

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Lightflyer1 said:
Last time I checked with the euro place, they wouldn't guarantee that it would fit a US car. In one of the earlier postings on this, some mods had to be made as the rear bumper or something was bigger than the euro model. This was for the A4 model I believe.

If I knew it would fit perfectly, I would order one. Cost wouldn't be the deciding factor.
They fit like a glove. Installed mine last fall with no issues. The unit replaces the steel bumper and is very rigid. It does not meet the US 8mph bumper law so use it at your own risk. It comes with the mounting bolts so the only thing you need to purchase extra is the wiring. The ball comes off and fits neetly in the foam piece in the spare tire. I'm glad I spent the money on it. It can withstand 1500KG towed and has a tongue weight of 75kg. That's a lot more than the other hitches that bolt in your floor pan.

JungleDeath

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf_11 JSW
pepper10 said:
They fit like a glove. Installed mine last fall with no issues. The unit replaces the steel bumper and is very rigid. It does not meet the US 8mph bumper law so use it at your own risk. It comes with the mounting bolts so the only thing you need to purchase extra is the wiring. The ball comes off and fits neetly in the foam piece in the spare tire. I'm glad I spent the money on it. It can withstand 1500KG towed and has a tongue weight of 75kg. That's a lot more than the other hitches that bolt in your floor pan.
Bosals et al, are not DOT legal. Better talk to an insurance agent before ya pull the trigger.

Most people don't exceed the limit of typical U.S. hitches. I have and it worked fine. I would not make a habit out of it. Getting the car stopped while towing it's own weight is ummm, weird.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
no, they aren't DOT legal. however, anyone who has ever seen one would realize they are superior :p but if you're worried about getting sued, never chip your tdi either :p