Clanking 2003 Jetta TDI

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Video here (on Youtube): http://youtu.be/34n66HQIMtw

My girlfriend's (formerly my) 2003 Jetta TDI automatic started making the rather ominous clanking noise from the video above in the middle of a number of short trips. The engine coolant temp gauge also went from bury-the-needle cold to fully warmed up in about half a mile.

I'm assuming the problem is related to the coolant pump, but I would love to hear what people who actually know what they're doing under the hood think it is. :)

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Part of your serpentine belt is missing .... I'd start there.... actually sounds like part of the serpentine belt is hitting something .... Could have rubbed a hole in the coolant line from the res tank to the engine as it runs right in front of the belt

Last edited:

Woodrobin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Part of your serpentine belt is missing .... I'd start there.... actually sounds like part of the serpentine belt is hitting something .... Could have rubbed a hole in the coolant line from the res tank to the engine as it runs right in front of the belt
Sharp eye. I can't believe I didn't spot it. :eek:

I feel like Willam in Mallrats trying to see the sailboat in the Magic Eye poster. :D

The Jetta is going in on Monday for a new serpentine belt and a double-check to make sure the loose bit didn't do any damage.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Sharp eye. I can't believe I didn't spot it. :eek:

I feel like Willam in Mallrats trying to see the sailboat in the Magic Eye poster. :D

The Jetta is going in on Monday for a new serpentine belt and a double-check to make sure the loose bit didn't do any damage.
ask them to check the alternator clutched pulley.... they fail often and when they do it shortens the life of the belt and causes the tensioner to rattle....good luck :)