CL 96 golf tdi 90k 3300 durham nc

metameme

TDI
Searching for a heavily modified Golf TDI!
Deal Pending

I'm in communication, possible deal pending.

I just want to make sure folks, this is a good price right? $3300. Here's what he says about it:

"1996 Volkswagen Golf with hard to find 1.9 turbo-diesel engine, 5-speed manual trans, and only 90k miles. Black exterior is rough, charcoal interior in good condition. $1500 on recent parts and service include: complete brakes front and rear, complete exhaust, Pioneer CD w/ aux. input, tires on front, accessory belt and tensioner. Recent oil, coolant and p/s fluid change."

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Don't think it's a tdi if it was an original US car. Could be an aaz engine which is a turbo diesel, but not exactly the same.

How does it only have 90k miles? Could have been driven by grandma, causing some excess carbon gunk buid up at the intake and head. Or it could be a replaced speedo.

metameme

TDI
Thank you for helping guys! You know so much more about this stuff than I do.

Ok, I talked to the guy on the telephone. He said they'll take 3000.

It's a canadian car with an original engine. It's been passed around a bit: they've had it for a year or so and got it from a diesel mechanic who didn't want it anymore. Sounds like it's running fine. It's an aaz, not a tdi.

Here's what it needs done:

Fender is rusted badly, surface rust in spots on the body including the roof. They replaced the trunk lid. He estimated that if I can salvage a replacement fender I can get all of the rust plus a new paint job taken care of for about $1500. Think this is realistic and/or worth it?

They're getting the A/C recharged and the shocks replaced.

I plan on putting an Elsbett 1-tank veg oil conversion into it and getting rid of the rust. I want to drive this car for 150k miles if I can. And I'm a noob, so I want to hear what anyone at all has to say about it.

3000 bucks, worth it?

Thank you so much guys.

Last edited:

metameme

TDI
He also said there is one oil leak from the oil sending unit that they'll repair before the sale. The craigslist ad has been updated but he knows I'm a serious buyer.

Love to hear what you guys think!

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Something tells me you are going to be putting $4,000.00 into this $3,000.00 car. Doesn't NJ have an annual state inspection?

I bet they're thrilled to get $3k for it. Welcome aboard, Meta !!

metameme

TDI
They changed their mind and pulled it off the market. I want something with a torquier engine anyway!