CKRA tensioner question

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
hey guys. This one has been bothering me for a while...

How on earth is the OEM CKRA tensioner actually tensioned? Look ma...no tang!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
see how the mounting bolt isn't centered? once its affixed to the block, looks like you can place a bolt in the hex socket and rotate the tensionioner to release tension, IE the direction of the arrow.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The CKRA has two different style tensioners. Which brand is that one? I can't see the printing on the mechanism.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
It says Gates in the middle, next to the arrow

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
see how the mounting bolt isn't centered? once its affixed to the block, looks like you can place a bolt in the hex socket and rotate the tensionioner to release tension, IE the direction of the arrow.
that would make sense, but what counteracts your rotation without a tang on the backside?...hence my "look ma, no tang" comment.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I think this tensioner definitively settles the debate on the purpose of the tang. After the tension is set, the tang serves no function.

My guess is there is some sort of block inserted between the two halves of tensioner. The tensioner is installed (and torqued down) and the block is pulled out.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There's a TSB on how to tension those. I have it, but can't figure out how to upload a .pdf. I can email it to you if you want to PM me your address.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks Peter! So it rotates counterclockwise (I didn't look close enough to see the arrow) into the belt tension which spins the back half of the tensioner. I'll have to play around with this to see it in action.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I bet that tensioner has an internal locking mechanism that serves as the tab in the other design.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I don't see any provisions for that Pedro, nor do I see mention of removal in the TSB Peter shared. I think it just equalizes the belt tension with the position of the torsional spring position inside the tensioner itself.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All the CKRAs I have done had the Gates style from the factory, and I replaced them with the Litens style. No idea why VAG switches around like that, and I can totally see why this could/would cause confusion and possibly a lot of improperly tensioned belts. The Gates one looks similar to some Ford belt driven OHC setups. At least they put arrows on them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Cannot recall exactly, and they all start to run together if you do not do many of them (non-VAG stuff).