CJ-4 oil data and discussion repository

longo

TDI
2006 Candy White, Beige leather, Pkg 2 DSG
As long as there still seems to be an interest in VW alternator pulley maintanence, perhaps this extra bit of information will be of help to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wvncxACvcA

(Like this TDI posters pulley story..)

Well, I'm glad I found this thread. I just had my alternator pulley fly apart and roll down the road behind me.

"The stealership is charging me $462 to replace the pulley/belt/cover. My jaw dropped when he broke it down. $300 or so is labor, the rest is parts. Jeez... My car only has 74k on it."

For more reasons to keep an eye on your alternator pulley here's another guy who knows what he's talking about ..if you can understand his accent...lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyosuYbPxr4

Last edited:

longo

TDI
"TDT has 1130 ppm of P, 1250 ppm of Zn."

Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered for Das Auto!

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T

longo

TDI
Hi There,

Do you happen to know how these 2 oils compare to Shell Rotella 5-40 T6?
Thanks for checking...

Eric

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Hi There,

Do you happen to know how these 2 oils compare to Shell Rotella 5-40 T6?
Thanks for checking...

Eric
Shell doesn't publish nominal ZDDP levels, so we don't know for sure.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The CJ-4 limit for phosphorus is 1200 ppm. Since P and Zn are chemically combined this theoretically limits zinc to ~ 1500 ppm. Of course the Zn also contributes to metallic ash, so you're always trading off these additive levels.

Most of the CJ-4/SM or SN oils are using similar additive chemistries. However there are differences in the types of base oil blends being used.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
The higher levels were from a sample I had tested when T6 first came out. Formulation nay have been changed since then?
CJ-4 [since late 2006) is limited to up to 1200 ppm P, and up to 1500 ppm Zn (though as TooSlick says, usually less due to ash levels). T6 was just a slight change [improvement] from T 5w40 in terms of base-stock and VII.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI

Blanco98Beetle

TDI
1998 Diesel Beetle

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI

cakins

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG/BRM
Winter Blend Red Line 0w40 and D1 ESP 5w40

First, thanks to Bob Fout for the CJ-4 chart! I use it very often.

I was concerned about cold starts after work in the winter using the low viscosity index Delvac 1. I have pre-blended 1 quart Red Line 0w40 (PCMO?) into 3 quarts of my current D1 5w40 to use for my winter oil change. I plugged some numbers into Widman's viscosity calculator and got the following:

@ 25% Red Line 0w40
100C 14.87cSt
40C 94.83cSt
-5C 1264cSt
-20C 2775cSt
-30C 13126cSt
Blend VI 164

D1 ESP has a low VI, but is the cold cranking still OK at -20F due to the PAO base/low pour point?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
First, thanks to Bob Fout for the CJ-4 chart! I use it very often.

I was concerned about cold starts after work in the winter using the low viscosity index Delvac 1. I have pre-blended 1 quart Red Line 0w40 (PCMO?) into 3 quarts of my current D1 5w40 to use for my winter oil change. I plugged some numbers into Widman's viscosity calculator and got the following:

@ 25% Red Line 0w40
100C 14.87cSt
40C 94.83cSt
-5C 1264cSt
-20C 2775cSt
-30C 13126cSt
Blend VI 164

D1 ESP has a low VI, but is the cold cranking still OK at -20F due to the PAO base/low pour point?
Concerned about cold starts in what way?

Yes, the 5w cold cranking and pumping specs are measured at -30C and -35C respectively. Also, viscosity index alone doesn't tell us about how an oil flows in very cold temps.

Much below freezing the calculated numbers aren't very accurate and don't apply.

http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html

cakins

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG/BRM
Concerned about cold starts in what way?

Yes, the 5w cold cranking and pumping specs are measured at -30C and -35C respectively. Also, viscosity index alone doesn't tell us about how an oil flows in very cold temps.

Much below freezing the calculated numbers aren't very accurate and don't apply.

http://www.widman.biz/English/Tables/J300.html
Thanks again for that table! I'm concerned about oil starvation in cold weather, as the engine tries to pump excessively thickened, cold oil when I start my car and the oil doesn't get circulated as necessary. The only cold specs for Delvac 1 I could find were the pour point (-48C), which is good, but mobil has published no MRV or CCS data to put my mind at ease regarding that low VI. Thus the dosing of 0w40.

This will be my second winter on D1. First one was 3 years ago; no issues, but that winter was mild. The 2 that came after that were brutal and got me thinking like a Canadian. I was using T6 at the time, which is quite a bit thinner, but I haven't been impressed with its UOA wear numbers. D1 is the wear king, IMO. Bob, I seem to recall that you used RL 0w40 one winter, and mentioned that cold starts with RL and T6 were miles better than TDT, which you called "craptastic?" Do you think D1 could do better than TDT?

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Thanks again for that table! I'm concerned about oil starvation in cold weather, as the engine tries to pump excessively thickened, cold oil when I start my car and the oil doesn't get circulated as necessary. The only cold specs for Delvac 1 I could find were the pour point (-48C), which is good, but mobil has published no MRV or CCS data to put my mind at ease regarding that low VI. Thus the dosing of 0w40.

This will be my second winter on D1. First one was 3 years ago; no issues, but that winter was mild. The 2 that came after that were brutal and got me thinking like a Canadian. I was using T6 at the time, which is quite a bit thinner, but I haven't been impressed with its UOA wear numbers. D1 is the wear king, IMO. Bob, I seem to recall that you used RL 0w40 one winter, and mentioned that cold starts with RL and T6 were miles better than TDT, which you called "craptastic?" Do you think D1 could do better than TDT?
Oil starvation is not an issue, this same oil is used in places much colder than we get. We know because it meets the 5w cold specs, it meets the API requirements at -30C and -35C. In temps colder, I would just expect a bit longer crank time.

D1 ESP is PAO/ester, so I do think it would do better than TDT.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Mobile DELVAC 1 ESP 5w40. Its like $24 at Mills fleet & farm. Rottella T6 is $19 ish. But live little and splurge on the good stuff. Drive more worry less.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
you guys are killing me.

so what is better for an ALH in texas heat T6 rotella?
Pick a 5w40. Or you could try Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40, it's ACEA B3/B4 rated. Or Mobil 1 5w50 (505.00) or Mobil 1 15w50 (used to be 505.00, still ACEA B3/B4 rated).

ALHs aren't very picky about what oil is used in them.