City light help needed

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I've searched both there and on Vortex and I cannot find a helpful post on how to replace the lamps on the city lights on the MkV Jetta. The one on the passenger side is out, and I have the replacements. I have the car programmed so that I do use them, so I'd like to know how to replace them. Please no treatises on why or whiy not to use them. I know it's very tight to get a hand in there to loosen to old one. On the passenger side is the fuel filter canister. On the driver side is the air filter ox, as I recall.

I have the silicone cover off the back of the housing. I've removed the high beam lamp to get that out of the way, including the wire harness for it. Still no luck in getting even a remote hold on this.

Is it a twist off? A clamp? A merely pull it out? Although it would be alarge task, is it easier to just pull out the entire headlamp housing and do it that way?

TIA for any advice. :D

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Grab the wires and pull straight out. No need to remove high beam bulb.
When reassmenbling back, you might want to switch the city lights on in order to see where the line shines so you can push it straight back. Push it back is all what needs to be done.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Yes, either grab the wires (worried about pulling out of socket), or get some of the cheap hook tools that look like dental tools, the socking has a little ear that you may be able to grab. It is only a press fit in the reflector but it is a very tight fit. You can try to pull on it for a long while before it will give. As you said a tight area, so big hands make it more difficult. Hook tools will make it easier, i have som 194 LED replacements tthat I want to put in place of the current bulbs, but they havent burnt out...

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Thanks much, all. I got LED's to replace the one that is burned out and the other side as well.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Grab the wires and pull straight out. No need to remove high beam bulb.
When reassmenbling back, you might want to switch the city lights on in order to see where the line shines so you can push it straight back. Push it back is all what needs to be done.

The above, but I don't like to pull on the wires. So I have found a curved LONG nose pliers, to reach in and grab the tail of the socket.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
I have been on the lookup for good LEDs but failed to find any that I could be happy with. May I ask what is the brand/model of what you are installing?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a pair from deAutoLED for about 40 buck$. They're easy to wire and bright. They don't seem to fit so tightly in the space. I'm not certain yet about the light. They seem to direct the light forward more than the original ones that were more spherical. So they project the light forward more than spreading it around the housing. I'm going to try them for summer, when I generally run them alone while driving, and see if I like them. They're also on with the low beams, so there is a difference in light color, that I do like so far.