CITGO stations to close around the US

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
From the Washington Post 7/13/06:

Venezuela-owned Citgo Petroleum has decided to stop distributing gasoline to some 1,800 independently owned stations in the United States after calls by President Hugo Chávez to discontinue contracts that benefit U.S. consumers more than Venezuelans. The Citgo brand will be less common in parts of the Midwest and South, disappearing from some states, by March, Citgo said.

Citgo has to purchase 130,000 barrels a day from other refining companies to meet its service contracts at 13,100 stations across the United States. That is less profitable than selling gasoline directly from its own refineries.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
The Citgo brand would be disappearing from the areas affected, but I would expect the vast majority of stations to find new suppliers.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Thank goodness!!!

I have been boycotting them because of Chavez for a couple of years or so...

Get that communist dictator crap out of here, I only want to support hardcore terrorist States with my petrol dollars...

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
LurkerMike said:
Thank goodness!!!

Get that communist dictator crap out of here, I only want to support hardcore terrorist States with my petrol dollars...
I don't know what to say or thing about this one, but I did find it funny.

b4black

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta blue
vikingrob said:
The Citgo brand would be disappearing from the areas affected, but I would expect the vast majority of stations to find new suppliers.
That's the whole point. CITGO is not thier direct fuel supplier now. CITGO handles the back office stuff, but the fuel is coming from third parties. They will have the same fuel in the future, just a new name on the station sign.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
GetMore said:
I don't know what to say or thing about this one, but I did find it funny.
Thanks! :D

I'd bet you understood and liked Andy Kauffman too? ;)

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
citgo

b4black said:
That's the whole point. CITGO is not thier direct fuel supplier now. CITGO handles the back office stuff, but the fuel is coming from third parties. They will have the same fuel in the future, just a new name on the station sign.
if it's a citgo branded station then doesn't a certain percent of the gas or diesel have to be the citgo brand product ? that would be true with any branded station would it not ? if that beening the case then they can but from just any where and sell it under the citgo name. :D

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
weedeater said:

Venezuela-owned Citgo Petroleum has decided to stop distributing gasoline to some 1,800 independently owned stations in the United States after calls by President Hugo Chávez to discontinue contracts that benefit U.S. consumers more than Venezuelans. The Citgo brand will be less common in parts of the Midwest and South, disappearing from some states, by March, Citgo said.

Citgo has to purchase 130,000 barrels a day from other refining companies to meet its service contracts at 13,100 stations across the United States. That is less profitable than selling gasoline directly from its own refineries.
It appears to me that with Citgo, they were testing the waters here in this 'enemy', enemy of theirs according to Hugo, country and then found that there is some money to be made and now they are opening Valero stations, instead. I say that because I assume that Valero gets their gas from their own refineries.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
tdijerry said:
if it's a citgo branded station then doesn't a certain percent of the gas or diesel have to be the citgo brand product ? that would be true with any branded station would it not ? if that beening the case then they can but from just any where and sell it under the citgo name. :D

That makes no sense at all. Some areas are served by only ONE
gas supplier (ie pipeline) so ALL the fuel in 'town' is the same stuff
although with brand specific additive packages that are only added
when the tanker truck fills up at the 'rack'. So all the different brand
stations can have their own 'mix' but it is all the same base stock with
different additive packages.

Hope this clears up your question.
Oh, and Mr. Chaves has made his dislike for our country very plain.
Bill

Last edited:

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Not likely that any brand requires fuel from the brand's refineries. There are only a few refineries in the US (IIRC just over 100), and shipping refined fuel is expensive. To get fuel from your refinery to a station requires a truck, not a pipeline. To get fuel to your station from the nearest terminal is cheaper because the fuel comes from a pipeline - but the pipeline may not go to your refinery.

Now a brand can require the station add their additive package added to the fuel, but not all do even that much. However to require your fuel in many cases means that the station would have to ship fuel by truck for 1000 miles, and there is no way they could be cost competitive with any other station in town while paying for that shipping.

tdijerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2000/ beetle/sliver
citgo

40X40 said:
That makes no sense at all. Some areas are served by only ONE
gas supplier (ie pipeline) so ALL the fuel in 'town' is the same stuff
although with brand specific additive packages that are only added
when the tanker truck fills up at the 'rack'. So all the different brand
stations can have their own 'mix' but it is all the same base stock with
different additive packages.

Hope this clears up your question.
Oh, and Mr. Chaves has made his dislike for our country very plain.
Bill

well that's my point if citgo pull's out then the citgo branded station's can't get the add pack to make it a citgo produck so my first statement still stand's. :D

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
tdijerry said:
If the pumps say Citgo, then the product must have the Citgo additive. If the stations sign says Citgo, then the product is not required to have the additive if there are no brand indicators on the pumps. Citgo at one time required additive for their gas products. I use to put in 2 quart cans per 4000 gallons as I remember when I delivered the fuel. The stations had the additive, it was not injected at the refinery. Later years we quit putting it in. Not all brands require special additive. I don't know if Citgo continued the additive requirement or not.

The big oil companies have what they call a "exchange" program. Oil company #1 has stations in a area served by oil company #2. Oil company #2 exchanges product to supply oil company #1's stations and visa-veras. The refinery I mainly hauled out of had exchanges with the big three in the area along with smaller companies. Mobil, ARCO and Sun all required additives which were injected as the tanker was being loaded.

Now the way I understood the article, Citgo was going to quit supplying branded stations in certain states, not all states. Think it said a total of 1800 "independently owned" stations that it would no longer supply. All they will do is find a new supplier and replace the signs and pump labels.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I've had a bunch of Shell and BP stations close their doors around my area. Has anyone heard anything about that?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Yes its not a brand but a spec - Refinery A delivers to Shells and add some much to the fuel to spec it. The have a different spec for another brand but the fuel is generally the same. The only way to get BP fuel is to live near the BP refinery. Marathon is not delivering fuel to Florida stations from Ohio.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
El Dobro said:
I've had a bunch of Shell and BP stations close their doors around my area. Has anyone heard anything about that?
That might have allot to do with discount stations just putting them under. I know here in Okeechobee Shell is always 5 to 7 cents higher than the Race Trac down the street 5 blocks.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
RaceTrac is headquarted just down the street from me... I don't buy their cheap gas for fear they skimp on the additives...

I use QT gasoline here and Texaco ULSD.

BioThomas

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
LurkerMike said:
RaceTrac is headquarted just down the street from me... I don't buy their cheap gas for fear they skimp on the additives...

I use QT gasoline here and Texaco ULSD.
We have quite a few RacTracs around here and I try to stay away from them, when I can.

It seems like all the Texacos here in Houston closed and gave way to Shell and other stations. I wish it weren't so, because I like Texaco.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Re the Texaco, BP, and Amaco questions....BP and Amaco merged last year...Amaco had already bought Texco from what I gather and was in the middle of the switch-over when the 2nd merger happened. From what I remember reading all of the Amaco and Texaco's that were going to be kept by BP were to be switched to BP by the end of this year. I know they were going to cut loose a lot of stations though. So thats why your seeing a lot of the Amaco and Texaco station change over.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I go to Race Trac for their coffee only - I used Shell or BP in my Eclipse - my diesel is delivered in bulk and I treat it. I can tell you fuel is better in major cities.

psaboic

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS Black
weedeater said:

All I have to say to that is......BUH BYE!!!:D

mishajmo

TDI
n/a
LurkerMike said:
Thank goodness!!!

Yeah, like Canada and Mexico, right?:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_a.htm

Opec (of which Venezuela is a member): 2,010,346
Non-Opec: 2,927,013
Persian Gulf (which includes your terror sponsors): 838,922

You snarky know-it-alls are getting pretty boring.

And Hugo Chavez can cram it with walnuts.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
ofhs93 said:
Ok...around here all of the Texacos went to Amacos and then to BP's...I guess I got part of that wrong then. Maybe Amoco bought out some of the Tex stations during the Tex/Chevron merge.
That could very well have been the case. It's hard to know who actually owns the station, who leases the station, and who is contracted to sell what brand of fuel. What you probably saw was a bunch of chain-owned stations changing brands.

There are independent locally owned stations (family owned, mom & pop type), independent (from the oil company) chain-corporation owned stations (Circle-K, Thortons, etc.), and the company owed stations. In my area there are Circle-K stations under the Citgo, BP, and other brands.

In one town I saw an old Amoco station that was still doing repairs, and across the street was a modern BP mini-mart. Obviously the Amoco station was one of the rare mom & pop owned stations while the BP was either chain-owned of company owned.

Strack

Veteran Member
Valero is not a Venezualen company. They are number 5 or 6 of all major oil companies & the number ONE refiner in the United States. Home base is San Antonio, Texas. Their name is Valero Energy and their stock is traded on the NYSE, ticker symbol: VLO

check out their website at: www.valero.com