Circle Dash Light

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS 5 speed manual
Thank you! I looked on Google but it wasn't clear.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Worst warning light ever ……and of course that’s the wheel that never goes bad…..it’s always the right brake….wouldn’t be bad if both brakes had sensors….. I’ve turned it off with Vcds.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Worst warning light ever ……and of course that’s the wheel that never goes bad…..it’s always the right brake….wouldn’t be bad it both brakes had sensors….. I’ve turned it off with Vcds.
You can do that?!?! I needed to hear that today. Mine has been on for over a year. Slowly the Christmas tree dies 1 light at a time😄.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys are great 😂 While we're talking about brakes my hand brake is getting worn because my car wasn't where I left it the other morning. How's replacing that?

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Worst warning light ever ……and of course that’s the wheel that never goes bad…..it’s always the right brake….wouldn’t be bad it both brakes had sensors….. I’ve turned it off with Vcds.
I didn't realize the right side was lite up

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Only the left brake pad has the sensor.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
You can do that?!?! I needed to hear that today. Mine has been on for over a year. Slowly the Christmas tree dies 1 light at a time😄.
First two digits of your Module 17 (Instruments) coding....subtract 1 will get rid of brake pad warning and keep everything else as is/was.
e.g., if coding is currently 17414 as in image, change to 16414.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
You guys are great 😂 While we're talking about brakes my hand brake is getting worn because my car wasn't where I left it the other morning. How's replacing that?
It's not too bad- the replacement cables are not too pricey, and it's a common fix. For most owners, the most annoying part involves working in the interior. I think we have a DIY somewhere. Make sure you get OE quality cables.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
As hskrdu said, not hard to replace the cable’s which are probably the problem, but find a DIY, either turbo diesel or here to confirm it’s not the calipers. They can also cause the same issue, as can totally worn out pads. If it is the cables the DIY will guide you through taking the console apart, without it you will probably unnecessarily break some plastic. I’m on my third set of cables and would still need to refer how to take it apart. I recommend the ‘heavy duty’ cables if you can find them, they have outlasted the previous two sets by a factor of two and are still working well.

Akvwtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I did notice a slight noise from the front brakes yesterday morning before the light appeared but I'll see what I find. Thanks!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
That's normal with the wear indicator on. Refresh the parking brake cables, service the lever and return spring on the caliper. Go ahead and clean+re-grease the slider pins. Just because.