Chrysler Diesel Cheat?

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I guess it is possible for a person to go through 2 buybacks back to back.
I wonder how many bought a Chrysler diesel as a replacement.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What a surprise! I guess now we will find out what really happens to one of the big three when they got cuaght with their hand in the cookie jar. Are their ECUs produced by Bosch?

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
"FCA US intends to work with the incoming administration to present its case"

Hahahahahahahaha

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
What a surprise! I guess now we will find out what really happens to one of the big three when they got cuaght with their hand in the cookie jar.
I will be very interested to see. Chrysler is the least American of the big 3, but they still have a lot of lobbying power.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Stock was down almost 20%, now 12%.
I wouldn't trust FCA to give away as much as VW did.
VW much stronger company.

Palouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE/sunroof, DSG
We were there first! :D

Beside FCA can always borrow money from the gov'mint again to survive!

aliscool

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
we'll see. I bought a Lariat model RAM ecodiesel five months ago to replace my 2015 TDI Golf.

btw, today is my Golf turn in date. So imagine my surprise to see that I am trading one diesel emissions scandal for another:)

seriously though, this ecodiesel has been amazing. I have 11,500 miles on it and current life time average economy is 28.3 mpg.

Ram4Sam

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
Why....yes it is.....:eek: Lucky me:confused:......In late 2015, FCA bought back/replaced my 2014 Ram 3500 truck because of electrical issues they couldn't fix.....Just turned my 2015 jetta in about three weeks ago. The VW deal paid a little better.......:D

Sam

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
http://jalopnik.com/everything-we-know-so-far-about-jeep-and-ram-s-alleged-1791118844
Implies they are hoping new administration and EPA chief will be much nicer to them.
It is easy for Fiat-Chrysler to defend itself. They just have to say:

"WE SUBCONTRACTED VOLKSWAGEN AG FOR OUR DIESEL EMISSION SYSTEM!"

However, as more and more AMERICAN companies get outed in diesel cheating, I expect President Trump to come to the defense of TDI automobiles/light trucks.

Who knows, maybe the EPA will get some changes in their rules...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Go through two buybacks back to back? Why not? I read about numerous people on this site who say they are replacing their 2 liter VW with a 3 liter VW/Audi.

What do they think is going to happen to their replacement vehicle?

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
That's me and I'm hoping for a $10k + payment after they fix it with a sweet extended warranty like the Gen 3's. And like many here I bought extra 2.0's too!

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
The Jeep diesel engines are the ones developed in Europe by GM Motori, a company owned partly by GM and Fiat. These are 3.0 L engines.

I would be interested to hear which company developed the emissions system.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Having read some of the underlying documentation, this appears to be an "undeclared AECD" issue as opposed to an "intentional cheat" issue.

To illustrate the difference:
VW: "If vehicle is being operated on a dyno, use emission strategy A. Otherwise, use emission strategy B." That's not legal.
Chrysler (example, because I don't know the exact circumstances): "If vehicle speed and load conditions exceed X, ramp down EGR." It so happens that X is never exceeded during the test procedures ... but if they did, it would work the same on the dyno as it did on the road. This, as I understand it, is quasi-legal and can be approved by the authorities (therefore legal) IF the strategy is declared as an AECD - but they didn't do that.

All engine manufacturers "teach to the test" and calibrate their systems (not just emissions) to pass the tests that they will be subjected to. What happens when conditions are present which are outside of those experienced in the test ... varies.

Spark-ignition gasoline engines typically run richer than stoichiometric (no longer in closed-loop operation) when you mash the accelerator all the way to the floor, for example. That creates enormously more HC, CO, and PM than the regulations otherwise allow. But it's approved as an AECD (and has to be declared and approved!) because the consequence otherwise would be melted pistons and exhaust valves and it could destroy the catalyst.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Do they even offer the Ecodiesel in a 2WD?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Go through two buybacks back to back? Why not? I read about numerous people on this site who say they are replacing their 2 liter VW with a 3 liter VW/Audi.
Add me to the list. What do I expect? A nice crossover/SUV, good cargo and hauling capacity, good economy, a fix, and probably some decent compensation out of that settlement too.

aliscool

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
mine is 4wd
leather, sun roof, cooled seats, every damn option they sell... Amazing truck. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

But, Like my amazing Golf, if they do a buy back in a year or two and I get more than I paid for it... it's gone too:)

2wd or awd?