Chirping at idle and low Rpms.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
Last night I noticed some chirping coming from under the hood at low rpms. When I got home, I left the car in neutral and it was still chirping.

This morning, I drove into work and and noticed the noise went away when accelerating as well as when at higher rpms.

I have video with sound but can’t seem to attach it.

Car is 2015 6 speed GSW with only about 37,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had this car since it was brand new. Any thoughts on what would cause this?

StL2.5

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Does it sound like this by chance?

https://youtu.be/eXb2JchFyWk

If it does, I have bad news for you...

I think I had about 40,000 miles on my car when this chirping noise started and it ended up being the timing belt rollers and tensioner. When my mechanic was looking in there, he also said the belt looked pretty worn and cracked. I had wasted time by fixing the serpentine belt and rollers thinking that was it (diagnosed by the dealer) before I took it to a indy VW mechanic who knew what the issue was right away. After all was said and done, it was about an $800.00 job out the door and it has been quiet ever since.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Does it sound like this by chance?

https://youtu.be/eXb2JchFyWk

If it does, I have bad news for you...

I think I had about 40,000 miles on my car when this chirping noise started and it ended up being the timing belt rollers and tensioner. When my mechanic was looking in there, he also said the belt looked pretty worn and cracked. I had wasted time by fixing the serpentine belt and rollers thinking that was it (diagnosed by the dealer) before I took it to a indy VW mechanic who knew what the issue was right away. After all was said and done, it was about an $800.00 job out the door and it has been quiet ever since.

Yes, that is what mine sounds like as well.

Is there any way for that to be covered under warranty? I know timing belts are normally considered a wear and tear item but at under 40k miles, that is way below the change interval, which I believe is 120k miles.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
only a dealer will be able to get VWoA to pick up the tab for the belt & stuff, if it looks warn and abused they may replace it.

StL2.5

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Yes, that is what mine sounds like as well.

Is there any way for that to be covered under warranty? I know timing belts are normally considered a wear and tear item but at under 40k miles, that is way below the change interval, which I believe is 120k miles.

My dealership wouldn't. I went back and forth with a few dealers and it was denied as it was out of warranty. They all wanted about $900-$1000 to get the job done which is why I ended up searching for a good VW mechanic.

Kind of a blessing in disguise though as even though I had to pay out of pocket for the repair, I found a really good group of guys that do amazing work on cars. They just happen to also be specialized with TDIs which happened just by coincidence. YMMV though so I would certainly try to get the job covered as you are just passed the 36,000 mile warranty.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
One of my local dealers said that it shouldn't be a problem getting it covered by the powertrain warranty. I have an appointment in a few weeks to bring it in.

It is weird that the noise went away the past couple of days and now everything sounds normal. Could a bad timing belt and/or tensioner problem be intermittent? If so, I am thinking I don't want to wait around for it to go bad again.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Chirping noises came back. I noticed it would go away past 1200 rpms. I'll be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow (hopefully to be covered under warranty).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
report back, we have a chirping but only when the AC is on.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Sounds like a bad bearing in one of the pulleys. Something like that could easily be intermittent until it keeps getting worn out and would likely stay making that noise all the time. I have a pulley on my Jetta that is much worse when it's wet out, but quiet when dry. It was an Autozone pulley I picked up when I was traveling (fixed in the hotel parking lot) so I'm not surprised it makes noise after only about 50k miles.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Good video, great explanation, going to use this... I swear my GSW with shy of 70k is doing this. Wife mentioned but I haven't been able to catch it in the act or reproduce since I drive our 11 Golf TDI full time now.

Thanks!

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Heard back from the dealership. They said the chirping is coming from the serpentine belt tensioner and quoted me $221 (about $110 for parts and $111 for labor) to repair it. Said it wouldn't be covered by powertrain warranty because the serpentine belt isn't considered part of the "powertrain"

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably less than an hour job if you're comfortable wrenching on things. Relieve tension with wrench (13mm I think), then two or three bolts and it's off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

StL2.5

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI
Heard back from the dealership. They said the chirping is coming from the serpentine belt tensioner and quoted me $221 (about $110 for parts and $111 for labor) to repair it. Said it wouldn't be covered by powertrain warranty because the serpentine belt isn't considered part of the "powertrain"
I would make sure that is the cause of the noise before fixing it because my dealer tried to fix the serpentine belt rollers then belt (which I had to pay for) and chirping was still there even though they were certain that was it. I would get a second opinion about the timing belt just in case.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
I would make sure that is the cause of the noise before fixing it because my dealer tried to fix the serpentine belt rollers then belt (which I had to pay for) and chirping was still there even though they were certain that was it. I would get a second opinion about the timing belt just in case.
Ouch! :eek: Sounds about right though. Really sucks that we have to cherry pick the things we dare let the dealership service group work on with our amazing warranty BUT it is what it is.

@brownnugen Maybe get in writing that IF the tensioner is not the cause and they fix and they find it's the tb, that you'll get your money back when they end up doing the tb and rollers and actually fix under warranty. :)

Tensioner shouldn't be failing this early regardless...

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a good point. You could pull the serpentine belt off and start the car to confirm it's a pulley within that path. I'd like to think that's how the dealer came to the conclusion they did, but not all dealers are created equal!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
That's a good point. You could pull the serpentine belt off and start the car to confirm it's a pulley within that path. I'd like to think that's how the dealer came to the conclusion they did, but not all dealers are created equal!
Ha ha, yeah, you ain't tellin a lie there! :D

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Probably less than an hour job if you're comfortable wrenching on things. Relieve tension with wrench (13mm I think), then two or three bolts and it's off.

So nothing as involved as in this youtube video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms82PlKPAHc

It is strange that the car has been chirp-free for the past 3 days...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
That's not an EA288, looks like CJAA. No coolant hoses or MAP sensor need to come off for a tensioner replacement on the CRUA. Remove belly pan, pivot tensioner with wrench to remove tension and remove belt (there's a pin hole to keep tension off the belt), two bolts removes the tensioner completely. Those two bolts are tightened to 20Nm + 90° turn (which means you should replace with new ones).

I double checked my erWin manual for you [emoji6]

Last edited:

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know the part number for the tensioner? Is there anything else that needs to be purchased besides 2 new bolts?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Never heard of SWAG brand, does anyone have feedback on whether it is good quality or better to spend the extra $30 for OEM?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Supposedly falls under the Febi brand from my reading. Some parts made in China and some made in Germany. The german made parts have had good reviews. The picture had a Germany watermark on it.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Supposedly falls under the Febi brand from my reading. Some parts made in China and some made in Germany. The german made parts have had good reviews. The picture had a Germany watermark on it.

I ordered it last night; I will report back on quality once I get it in.

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I had a chirping noise on my mk4 which wound up being the alternator pulley. It's a clutched pulley, and had started to go south at around 240K miles. The pulley itself was only around $30, but boy was it fun to get the old one off.

Hopefully it's just the tensioner, as that's a lot easier to R&R.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I purchased the Febi part and as you suggested, I removed the serpentine belt, but the chirping was still there which tells me it was never the tensioner.

I called the dealer to let him know what I did not agree with the technician's diagnosis of the cause. They asked that I bring it back in for them to look at again. The second time around, they said it was the belt, tensioner, and rollers. I told them that I purchased this car brand new and with only 40K miles on it, there is no way that should be giving me problems this early.

After a few phone calls with VW warranty people, they agreed that they would replace all of that (basically a timing belt job) under the warranty. They are waiting for a few parts to come in but the car should be done early next week. Do you think it would be worth asking for them to replace the water pump while they are in there (at my cost)? What else would be worth them doing (at my cost) while they are doing a timing belt?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Update: I purchased the Febi part and as you suggested, I removed the serpentine belt, but the chirping was still there which tells me it was never the tensioner.

I called the dealer to let him know what I did not agree with the technician's diagnosis of the cause. They asked that I bring it back in for them to look at again. The second time around, they said it was the belt, tensioner, and rollers. I told them that I purchased this car brand new and with only 40K miles on it, there is no way that should be giving me problems this early.

After a few phone calls with VW warranty people, they agreed that they would replace all of that (basically a timing belt job) under the warranty. They are waiting for a few parts to come in but the car should be done early next week. Do you think it would be worth asking for them to replace the water pump while they are in there (at my cost)? What else would be worth them doing (at my cost) while they are doing a timing belt?
I would (saying that, I truly wouldn't) be surprised if they don't simply do a complete tb service on the car. I would clarify if that is what they are doing which would include the water pump. I don't know how VW mechanics could live with themselves, as mechanics, not at least questioning why they WOULDN'T do the water pump if they were replacing all the same components they would to do a Tb job.

Good luck man

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Looks like the tensioner is 04L 903 315K. About $120 at the dealer: Don't see an aftermarket source yet.