Chips causing Judder?

Ballina

TDI
99 Passat TDI Wagon
99 Passat TDI Variant.90hp AHU engine. I originally fitted a Superchip but this caused problems and changed to Upsolute. Engine judders when accelerating between 1800 and 2000 rpm. This is where peak torque happens with this engine.Is this a coincidence?Judder only happened since it was chipped and happened with both chips.IQ was 4.4 and raised it to 5.4. Slight improvement but still juddering.The shake comes up through the Gas pedal.Very disconcerting.EGR blanked off. Unable to remove Intake Manifold to clean.Bolts too tight and Im afraid they`ll shear.The other problem is that there is no noticable power increase despite being chipped. Any advice please?

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Ballina,

Mine is exhibiting similar symptoms, and I'm suspect of the fuel filter: it's not flowing enough at max demand, which happens at peak boost level. I'll probably do the swap this weekend and report. I'll bet this only started happening to you when the weather got real cold. . .

- Rob

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
robert5995 said:
Ballina,

Mine is exhibiting similar symptoms, and I'm suspect of the fuel filter: it's not flowing enough at max demand, which happens at peak boost level. I'll probably do the swap this weekend and report. I'll bet this only started happening to you when the weather got real cold. . .

- Rob
Yea let us know im having the same problem only since cold weather started, I thought it could be the fuel temp sensor

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Ballina, Skid,

New fuel filter, no more juddering, as least on my rig. Give it a try.

Classic fuel starvation symptoms - "misfiring" during greatest demand for fuel, which is max boost.

PS - Be sure to drain the fuel from from the old filter into a container, then put the fuel into the new one, except for the junk at the bottom of course. It saves lots of cranking. No water in mine.

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
robert5995 said:
Ballina, Skid,

New fuel filter, no more juddering, as least on my rig. Give it a try.

Classic fuel starvation symptoms - "misfiring" during greatest demand for fuel, which is max boost.

PS - Be sure to drain the fuel from from the old filter into a container, then put the fuel into the new one, except for the junk at the bottom of course. It saves lots of cranking. No water in mine.
Thanks for that i bought a fuel filter but lost the manual to fit it! so i need to buy another one at the weekend.

jbrone

Veteran Member
TDI
R.I.P.: '98 Jetta TDI
Check the FAQ section for fuel filter replacement so you do not have to buy another just for the manual. Also, cincitdi.com has videos online (free) that walk you through it all. MAN filter may have instructions on line as well.

Also, consider finding someone to verify everything with VAG-COM to insure injection quantity, timing etc.

Ballina

TDI
99 Passat TDI Wagon
Thanks for the advice fellas but I already replaced the fuel filter AND reduced the Injection Quantity with VAG-COM AND got my Chip remapped with the lastest Upsolute software last week.Only slight improvement.Shudder still there.

Ballina

TDI
99 Passat TDI Wagon
Just checked IQ and it read 6mg. I thought the fuel needle was moving too quickly to day for my liking so I have now adjusted it down to 4.8mg. Funny thing, even though 32768, which is the default, at anything over 32780 I cannot save the new setting.

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Update -

I'm still juddering at peak boost levels when real cold even after a new fuel filter. Now what?

- Rob

robert5995

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf, Mr. Red
Toledo -
I thought I knew them all, but I don't know what a DMF is. :eek:

There definitely is some kind of misfire, power is down when this is happening.

- Rob

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
robert5995 said:
Toledo -
I thought I knew them all, but I don't know what a DMF is. :eek:

There definitely is some kind of misfire, power is down when this is happening.

- Rob
Does yours shudder on tick over? mine does.:confused:

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
robert5995 said:
Skid - No. only at WOT when I hit peak boost. Yours shudders at idle? Hmmm.
Its weird sometimes my car runs fine then other times it shudders at idle as if its going to stall, and when you drive up to about 3000 revs still shudders.:confused: after 3000 its fine

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
skid9uk said:
Its weird sometimes my car runs fine then other times it shudders at idle as if its going to stall, and when you drive up to about 3000 revs still shudders.:confused: after 3000 its fine

Uummmm i would have to drive it to know for shaw but it does sound like the noise is like my own clutch at idle......and because of the colder weather where having at the moment has given you the shudder before the 300rpm region.

Setting the clutch noise to one side....i've heard many people report this about various chips/programmes come winter time of giving the shudder.........i know a company who were franchised to super chip would inform super chip and they would send a revised file to compensate for the denser air.......which basicly means pullying back on the fuel map.........in very bad situations the car would go into limp from overboost and the same would have to be done.

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
mojogoes said:
Uummmm i would have to drive it to know for shaw but it does sound like the noise is like my own clutch at idle......and because of the colder weather where having at the moment has given you the shudder before the 300rpm region.

Setting the clutch noise to one side....i've heard many people report this about various chips/programmes come winter time of giving the shudder.........i know a company who were franchised to super chip would inform super chip and they would send a revised file to compensate for the denser air.......which basicly means pullying back on the fuel map.........in very bad situations the car would go into limp from overboost and the same would have to be done.
Could it be the fuel temp sensor?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Yes its a possibility!!...but it sounds like the mapping...do you still have ups1/2 in

Last edited:

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
You could do or you could also change products / chips if your planning on upgrading shortly.....or if you know someone who you can change your ups chip out who has a different make of chip.....just to see if it happens with there chip.

How old is your maf sensor is it older than a year , plus when you had the ups fitted how was it around winter time or is this its first winter.

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
It was fine last winter time, since fitting my PD150 inlet manifold i added the evrymod only on low i get more punch and still no smoke,Thats been on for around 2 months could that be it? to much fuel in cooler weather?

Thanks again

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Yep that's the culprit right there........take it off and see how it performs then...chip and evry mod conflict and in server cases gives w.f.c.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Nice one......next time you want more power go with some larger nozzles from Kerma and a chip/remap too match...the pp764's should be good for around 155/160hp with a chip to match with less smoke than you have probably been getting as a bonus.

skid9uk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 110
Cheers, Im having to save for a new clutch at the moment! this ones starting to slip in 3rd gear upwards when you boot it, any recommendations?

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Sachs vr6 power clutch or the one up like mine with the organic plate......if you don't mind a bit of flywheel/clutch plate rattle.....it shouldn't be so bad now you've taken the tuning box off.

Ballina

TDI
99 Passat TDI Wagon
New ECU .Still juddering

It seems its not the Upsolute Chip thats causing my Judder. Today, I put in a different ECU with a stock Chip and guess what? It still judders at the same RPMs.I then put the Resistor on the Fuel Temp Sensor wire and still no joy.Im back now to thinking clutch and DMF.But it doesnt seem to be slipping.Just vibrating.If I change from DMF, what is the best alternative please?