China $44 VAG-COM?

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
I was looking for a cheap way to measure my ATF Fluid Temp for the upcoming fluid change. Been using a Infa-Red Temp Gun to read off the bottom of the pan - but - heck, found this site listed below, showing a Vag-Com for less than the infa-red gun i bough. I'm not too bright when it comes to software. Any thoughts on this el-cheapo Vag Com?

One last thing before you go to the site - does VW recomend using Blue Loc-Tite on the ATF tranny pan bolts?

Hope this http makes it though the filters -the site is
http://www.ioffer.com/i/vag-com-10-6-cable-with-best-quality-free-shipping-180195533

Blair

MHG Sotexbus

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI package 1.and 2002 Jetta TDI package 0
$44.00 Vag Com

Why do you want to send $44.00 to China and then steal an American Companys Technology and while getting free information from a neat Website like tdiclub.com all for saving $300.00 bucks. The **** doesn't work half of the time, google it, its free too. You might want to buy the China made TB parts also, that will save you another $50.00. It will also leave you on the side of the road and you can come to this site and get free answers as to why your engine is now junk when the TB fails. Do we have no pride anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You get what you pay for (if you are lucky). Buying this cable is supporting thieves. It is a cheap Chinese generic USB to OBDII cable with a hacked (cracked) older version of VCDS (Vag-Com). Version 10.6 is an older version (it is now at version 11.11.3). Also you cannot update to a newer version unless this Chinese hacker also cracks a newer version. Ross-Tech is a long time supporter of this site and it would not be good form to purchase a product from someone who is blatantly stealing their intellectual property. Ross-Tech has never released a cable for any specific version of VCDS.

Also, try getting tech support from this Chinese hacker - good luck. VCDS directly from Ross-Tech is actually pretty cheap considering what it can do. Don't waste your money to support some Chinese hacker and thief.

Have Fun!

Don

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
It is amazing how they are breaking into every little aspect. I'm way behind the 8 ball in the electronic world. I grew up before remote contol for a TV and in a world when there were just 4 channels to view on the TV. I was actually shocked to see something called VagCom at that price and wasn't positive what I was looking at but judging from the posts - this is all old hat.

I'm not buying it or the Vag-Com, but if I did , I would buy the supported Vag Com Ross Tec. I'm just not that computer savy and I would have to try a cable out before hand on my computer to see how easy it is for me. Like my Bentley Computer Manual - it went away when my computer went to a new system. Yes, there's a way to make it work again but that stuff is Greek to me. I'll need a 12 year old to help me get my Bentley back on my new PC.

As to the Blue Loc-Tite on the 27 ATF pan bolts...is that called for in the manual.

Blair

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Why spend even $44 on warez when the free shareware version of VCDS-Lite used with a legitimate, dumb "KKL" type USB interface (available for under $20 from numerous vendors) can check tranny fluid temperature on a 2005 Passat?

Moreover, VCDS-Lite can be registered for $99 to remove the shareware limitations and is then very complete tool diagnostic tool for that car.

-Uwe-

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
There was a guy here on the boards who perhaps messed up his ECM (can we say big time money) with a tourarg TDI with such a cable. I think you really need to support the guys who developed this stuff. I too thought about the generic, but when I buy it will be a ross cable. Besides, if you ever sell the car, there is more inherent value in the Ross cable to begin with because it is properly put together, not hacked and reversed engineered.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Ditto what others have said here.

If something happened to my Vag-Com cable, I would buy another genuine one in a minute. It is that valuable to me and has saved me and others a TON of money.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Blair:

Just drain out the trans fluid at room temperature and measure what came out (since you will not get more than 1/2 of the capacity). Then refill with the same amount of new stuff.

Do not locktite the pan screws or you may have issues getting them out next time, if there is a next time.;)

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
BTW be aware that some of these Chinese cables and "Crackware" are full of viruses and trojan horses too. You don't think the only way they make money is by selling stolen software and hardware designs, do you?

$44 sounds nice and cheap, but how much will it cost you when they steal your credit card and bank account information when you sign into your bank later on? :D

BTW this is not hypothetical. I work in this industry (Internet Security) and this is one of the worst problems as cracked software is intentionally loaded and thus you're giving the computer an instruction to put the trojan horse right where it wants to go!

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Blair:

Just drain out the trans fluid at room temperature and measure what came out (since you will not get more than 1/2 of the capacity). Then refill with the same amount of new stuff.

Do not locktite the pan screws or you may have issues getting them out next time, if there is a next time.;)
Tough Tony, great to hear from you. You and Thundershorts have saved my a_ _ so many times.

You know, I think your concept there is perfect with the room temperature. I've always been concentrating on that temp range in the book and never gave ' ambient or room temp' a second thought. Your way would be exactly what the factory fill was - pending no leaks which I would see once under the car. My only fear is on another forum's instructions - the guy made a coment about the factory overfilling his Passat by 1 liter. I can't remember if others noted that too.

I have a Multimeter that also reads temperature off a 'thermometer.' Most thermometers on flexible wire will not survive fluids. What I found on the web won't tell you if their beaded thermo-sensors will work in fluid. Some, will at least , say for ' surface/ air' temp readings - but finding one that is flexiable enough and with a small enough sensor to poke up into the tranny fill hole and survive in a fluid is a different story.

Today I found an outfit that will custom make what I want for a $5 upcharge from the not so hot web sites I found. $20 total. Heck Craftsman wants $15 for a lessor sensor not made for fluid. A beaded thermometer made from teflon wire able to survive in fluid up to 350F and just a 1/2" stainless sensor at the end of the thin cable. Flexible and skinny enough to shove up the hole and drop down into the ATF pan - even with the hook that I use to fill the ATF in that same space. We even toyed with me sending him a drain plug and him attaching a temp prob though it so I could just hook up my Multimeter to my drian plug . Yeah, I know - we were getting a little nuts on that one - but this guy was serious. I killed the drain plug with temp probe.

I told him for some unknown reason VW either wants me to replace the drain plug with every fill - or - they just simply refuse to sell the sealing washer to that drian plug without selling the drain plug & washer as one unit for over $11. I told him that crazy arrangment of not being able to buy just the gasket for .75 cents makes me think it might work like a stretch bolt, but I would not bet the ranch on it having any stretch tension to keep it from vibrating out. Probably some glitch in VW parts ordering. I also didn't want to risk his sealed prob though the drian plug developing a leak.

If anyone cares : that outfit was
W. H. Cooke & Co., Inc.
6868 York Road - P. O. Box 893​
Hanover, PA 17331-0893

He also had adapters. Many thermo wires have a ' mini K' plug at the end. If you have an older Multimeter - it might only accept banana plugs. No problem. He's got the " mini-K to banana plug' adapter too.

After trying it out on my tranny, I'll shove the probe up my home's AC vent. Either this hot spell in CT is worse than they say or my upstair's AC has a leak and is not putting out the same temp to what it did some years ago at these same outside temperatures.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hi Blair, good to see you back here! Now, assuming the trans has the correct amount of fluid in it when you drain it, temperature is irrelevant if the old stuff is the same temperature as the stuff you are putting back in. Just use the same amount on a volume basis. Forget that complicated "German" temperature-related fill procedure.

Drive more, worry less! (who said that?)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
The last time I R&Rd the filter and fluid, I noticed something strange when filling. It seemed to take more when in reverse than when in drive. As such, I topped it off in reverse, since more is better than less in this case.

Lloydw

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I bought a new cable directly from Ross Tech and i am very thankful. they are good people that will help you. the program is very good. you'll save more that the price of the cable if you are keeping your VW. the support at this web site is the best. lots of knowledge that you can not replace. thanks to all on this site for the help you give from your heart. hats off to all of you.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
just use your thermometer, forget the garbage. its not that critical

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
having the trans pan bottom level is a lot more meaningful fluid volume wise than a few degrees in temp. A torpedo level with the magnet makes it easy to check